The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jenny18
Never mind. I'll probably be making a similar mistake sometime in the future. Which college and subject are you (possibly, let's not jinx ourselves now, we're doing really well) going for?

You probably have already said, but that would require not being scared by technology and a basic ability to scan back across threads.

History and English at St. Peter's - really looking forward to it, as long as I didn't screw up my History exam the other day. What about you? :smile:
Reply 1641
Original post by mcgovernjon

History and English at St. Peter's - really looking forward to it, as long as I didn't screw up my History exam the other day. What about you? :smile:

English at Lincoln. I'm so excited!! We'll probably bump into each other in libraries etc...:smile:

By the way, I have seen your friend request and I am honestly trying to accept. Clicking on the words 'friend request' doesn't appear to be doing much, but I haven't given up hope yet!!
Original post by jenny18
English at Lincoln. I'm so excited!! We'll probably bump into each other in libraries etc...:smile:

By the way, I have seen your friend request and I am honestly trying to accept. Clicking on the words 'friend request' doesn't appear to be doing much, but I haven't given up hope yet!!

Really? I've got a friend going to Lincoln so I'll probably be frequenting your college bar occasionally. :smile:
Reply 1643
Really? I've got a friend going to Lincoln so I'll probably be frequenting your college bar occasionally. :smile:

I've likewise got a friend going to Lincoln, so I daresay the same will be true of me :smile: I know people going to St Edmund Hall, Trinity, St Peters, Merton, Keble and Magdalene as well this year, I just wish they used TSR!
Reply 1644
Original post by Lucius

Original post by Lucius
I've likewise got a friend going to Lincoln, so I daresay the same will be true of me :smile: I know people going to St Edmund Hall, Trinity, St Peters, Merton, Keble and Magdalene as well this year, I just wish they used TSR!

Ooo this is exciting. This brings the number of people who I will have had a conversation with before I go up to...five. I think. No one from my school is going. So I'm just counting the people I remember from open days etc...

Is anyone here from a school which sends lots of people? My school doesn't have a history of oxbridge at all.

Also...I've just realised that everyone who I've been chatting to on the thread will be people I'll possibly meet whilst in Oxford. So it's even more exciting!!! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jenny18
Ooo this is exciting. This brings the number of people who I will have had a conversation with before I go up to...five. I think. No one from my school is going. So I'm just counting the people I remember from open days etc...

I was about to say have a look for your college's freshers facebook group, but just noticed there isn't one for Lincoln.

You could create one if you wanted. I started the PPE group back in January and we've actually got well over half of the incoming class joined, and those college groups that do exist appear to have been fairly successful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jenny18
Is anyone here from a school which sends lots of people? My school doesn't have a history of oxbridge at all.

My school doesn't send very many. In the time I was there (years 9-13), there were 3 people went to Oxford, 1 to Cambridge...I think. One for physics, the other 2 for history. There's also a guy who went to Nottingham after not getting into Cambridge who is now some sort of Philosophy fellow or something at Corpus Christi. When I went for my interview we met up, and I got to have coffee in the Corpus senior tutors staff room thing. They had a cappuccino machine and I felt very posh and out of place :tongue:

Weirdly, this year there will (hopefully!) be 3 of us at Oxford, which is more than any other year that the teachers have told me about. Me (hopefully) for history at Keble, a boy for E&M at Hertford, and then a girl for some sort of Law at...St Hilda's, maybe? I don't know. She got in last year and took a gap year, so there'll be at least one person from my school there regardless of exams!

So long story short...not really. :tongue:
Original post by jenny18

My college is sending 3 people to Oxford this year, including me, and 1 to Cambridge (presuming we all meet our offers!)
Reply 1648
I think our college is sending roughly 15 to oxbridge :biggrin: not sure how many to just oxford though
Reply 1649
Original post by Frankie

Original post by Frankie
I think our college is sending roughly 15 to oxbridge :biggrin: not sure how many to just oxford though

15? That sounds like a lot. But how big is your year group? There's only about 40 of us in my year. Three of us applied and we were all interviewed. I was the only one with an offer though. Nobody went from the year above me, and the year above that only one got in. There's two people definitely applying to oxbridge in the year below and perhaps three more considering it.

Another thing I've just noticed is that there hasn't been a Cambridge person in my memory. It's probably just a coincidence. We're not an incredibly academic school. They've been very supportive of me, though.
Reply 1650
Original post by jenny18
15? That sounds like a lot. But how big is your year group? There's only about 40 of us in my year. Three of us applied and we were all interviewed. I was the only one with an offer though. Nobody went from the year above me, and the year above that only one got in. There's two people definitely applying to oxbridge in the year below and perhaps three more considering it.

Another thing I've just noticed is that there hasn't been a Cambridge person in my memory. It's probably just a coincidence. We're not an incredibly academic school. They've been very supportive of me, though.

Yeah there's about 700 of us in our year, we're a big college :tongue: I think our cambridge/oxford admissions are pretty similar in terms of numbers, but we usually get 10-20 students into oxbridge each year :smile:
Original post by soutioirsim
Woop woop! Another physicist! Have you been sent anything yet?

urm few emails about boring support stuff but no reading list or anything :frown: you? and what college?x
Original post by billieerin23
Me! To read History :-) what's your subject?

Physics :cool: haha
Reply 1653
Original post by jenny18

I think there was just one guy from my year who's at Oxford (I finished sixth form last year, so not sure about this year's applicants). But that's not too great coming from one of the biggest schools in Britain... :redface:
Original post by I eat poo
urm few emails about boring support stuff but no reading list or anything :frown: you? and what college?x

Same, just an email about disability bursaries and an email from my college saying that the next time we would here from them, would be after results day. I would of thought they would give us something to do over the summer but it doesn't seem likely :s-smilie: Oh well, it looks like I'll just have to have a lazy, chilled summer then :rolleyes:
Original post by Frankie
Yeah there's about 700 of us in our year, we're a big college :tongue: I think our cambridge/oxford admissions are pretty similar in terms of numbers, but we usually get 10-20 students into oxbridge each year :smile:

We have about 140/150 people in our year and we have 7 oxford and 6 cambridge places. We had 37 applicants though, which is the most have ever applied from our school.
Reply 1656
Original post by zigzog7
We have about 140/150 people in our year and we have 7 oxford and 6 cambridge places. We had 37 applicants though, which is the most have ever applied from our school.

Wow that's great :smile: we're a pretty huge college so our acceptance rates are probably the same as smaller colleges, i'm not sure how many applicants we had to be honest :tongue:
Original post by Frankie
Wow that's great :smile: we're a pretty huge college so our acceptance rates are probably the same as smaller colleges, i'm not sure how many applicants we had to be honest :tongue:

Yeh,we are a grammar school so we get quite a lot of oxbridge people really :smile: a lot of the teachers went there too.
Does anyone else have offers for chemisty? or going Jesus?
Reply 1659
Original post by dbmag9
Yeah, I'm considering that. Not sure whether I'd go for OTC or URNU, though. Otherwise, the Union, maybe some musical/choir stuff; might even try some rowing for a bit.

Yeah I have no idea which one to go for... currently in army section CCF but always wanted to join Navy... thinking of Royal Engineers tho as well :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending