The Student Room Group

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SK-mar
im pretty sure cos i kept reading the question over and over that it said: The breeder wanted to have offspring that were just cats of chocolate fur. is this possible?

it didn't refer to the previous question.

If it wasn't referring to the other question, then the answer would be? Surely to be 100% sure he would have to breed chocolate cats somehow to ensure the bi allele isn't present, otherwise find out the ancestral tree of both cats? :confused:
Reply 1301
Original post by SK-mar
im pretty sure cos i kept reading the question over and over that it said: The breeder wanted to have offspring that were just cats of chocolate fur. is this possible?

it didn't refer to the previous question.

yeah i initially said no, basing my answer on the original cats then read it over and was like ****! so crossed everything out and put yes.. definatly didnt want the cats in the question, could have been any :smile:
Reply 1302
i put no for thr breeder chocolate cats q
everyone i asked also put no :s
Reply 1303
Original post by choc1234
i put no for thr breeder chocolate cats q
everyone i asked also put no :s

Lol thats dodgey the people i asked said yes because you can breed the genotypes bb and bb and produce all chocolate cats?
Original post by SK-mar

Original post by SK-mar
surely this is wrong mate. cos if you breed chocolate with chocolate so parents genotypes are 'bb' and 'bb' then you can only get chocolate. same if you breed 'bb' with 'bbi' then you can only get chocolate. so the answer is yes.

yeah thats what i was thinking as well, although the question said population, not just next generation... so i put yes if both parents had genotypes bb, as originally i was thinking bb and one with bbi would be fine but that gives possibilities for 2nd generation... sound about right or have i shagged myself a bit?
Reply 1305
Could someone tell me what they put for the question about why GPP was higher in july than march? was it due to a higher temperture in july? photosynthesis
Reply 1306
I also put no on the chocolate cats question. Really I'm not sure how any of us can speculate a right answer for that as the question was so vague, like a lot of the questions that cropped up. How they expect everyone sitting the exam to interpreta question the same way the idiots at AQA do is beyond me. Without providing us with more information all we can do is bloody guess at how they want us to answer it. Take that chocolate cats question for example, it didn't mention whether it was done by breeding cats the owner already had or whether it was just theoretically possible. It's just how you interpret it. The sooner they start to realise these stupid HSW questions don't work the better unless they give us more info, although it'll be too late for all of us
Reply 1307
Original post by lou12
Could someone tell me what they put for the question about why GPP was higher in july than march? was it due to a higher temperture in july? photosynthesis

yeah and enzymes have more kinetic energy, more enzyme substrate complexes? etc..? I think!
Original post by Flying Cookie

Original post by Flying Cookie
If it wasn't referring to the other question, then the answer would be? Surely to be 100% sure he would have to breed chocolate cats somehow to ensure the bi allele isn't present, otherwise find out the ancestral tree of both cats? :confused:

it said the breeder wanted a population not offspring, which is what i thought the first time i read it, but going over it at the end i changed it as a population is all members of a species i was thinking about second generations etc...
Original post by JamesSimonHudson

Original post by JamesSimonHudson
This is a question that has been raised with my friends, I personally ticked it but others didnt as they say that they are used up so is not a net gain

i was unsure what was meant by electron transfer chain, whether it was a vague reference to both mittochondria electron transport chain and light dependent reaction or just the one in respiration
Reply 1310
Original post by Rainbow249
1 - Doesn't decrease oxygen concentration in the ponds, as no waste for aerobic bacteria to feed on

2 - Can be easily removed from tank, and placed whereever. Whereas, in pond, we would have to go to bottom and take out the nutrients - expensive and laborious??

i just noticed that i put a similar answer which made me happy :smile:
i put...

1) methane is collected and therefore is not released into the air which is beneficial since methane is a greenhouse gas

2) does not decrease oxygen concentration in the pond since the whole thing is anaerobic anyway
Reply 1311
Original post by MochaBare
yeah thats what i was thinking as well, although the question said population, not just next generation... so i put yes if both parents had genotypes bb, as originally i was thinking bb and one with bbi would be fine but that gives possibilities for 2nd generation... sound about right or have i shagged myself a bit?

you will probably get marks. but it simply said the the breeder wanted cats of chocolate fur. didn't say that it wanted to continue breeding cats of chocolate fur. so bb and bbi would have been fine too i reckon. and obviously bb and bb ..... was it a 3 marker i cant quite remember?
Original post by SK-mar

Original post by SK-mar
you will probably get marks. but it simply said the the breeder wanted cats of chocolate fur. didn't say that it wanted to continue breeding cats of chocolate fur. so bb and bbi would have been fine too i reckon. and obviously bb and bb ..... was it a 3 marker i cant quite remember?

it definately said population ( i did some excessive underlining :P) but yeah i think it was 3 marks
Reply 1313
Original post by Rickesh
Lol thats dodgey the people i asked said yes because you can breed the genotypes bb and bb and produce all chocolate cats?

how do uknow if its bb and not bbi?
Original post by Black Butler
it doesnt matter if it is used up - the point is it is still produced.

exactly what I said
Reply 1315
What sort of marks do people think they have got ?? I think i've got about 35-40, not too good seeing as i wanted a B :frown: oh well
Original post by MochaBare
i was unsure what was meant by electron transfer chain, whether it was a vague reference to both mittochondria electron transport chain and light dependent reaction or just the one in respiration

both, so you should have ticked for photosynthesis and respiration (aerobic)
Reply 1317
Original post by Rickesh
yeah and enzymes have more kinetic energy, more enzyme substrate complexes? etc..? I think!

cool, i wasn't sure if it was related to light intensity increasing photo, but the question said use the graph and that only gave data on temp?
I have finally caught up with real time after over an hour of reading and replying to posts that were posted straight after the exam to now haha

To give my input on the exam, I thought it wasnt too bad, but some sections such as the inheritance one was tricky
I thought that was a really nice exam - nothing that would be too tricky to get marks on (I was dreading a really complicated photosynthesis/respiration question or a long question on something like succession). I don't usually feel confident about exams, but this time I think I was scientific enough & used the right terminology... hopefully I hit the marks, I need as many marks as I can get with this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending