The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3320
anyone know if I can still be entered for unit 4 on 25th?
Original post by Soloman

Unit 4's on the 22nd haha,
unless its not OCR F214 ur on about
Reply 3322
Original post by Sereni
Im hoping they die from either copper poisoning or by projectile hedgehogs

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL hahaha what had copper poisoning got to do with the question...i totally disregarded it....oh and im sure you'll do well ...and i hope you get your medical offer :biggrin:
Reply 3323
What did people write down for the ladebird question ? the one asking if you agreed with the hypothesis ??
I said I agreed, cos you could see the percentage going higher and higher, but I said there probably was a optimum altitude for them to live..
I doubt i get 3 marks for that but what did everyone else put ??
Reply 3324
I want 50% atleast.

I know I got these wrong...

First two questions, out of the 5 i got like 2 or 3

Tissue culture, I missed out 2 steps, but not sure, probably 5/6 marks

questions on the bird things and the ladybirds, lost around 6 marks

lost a mark on hardy wienerberg

other stuff, 10 - 15 marks

that's a potential 35 wrong.. so 65/100 :/

I'd be happy with 50%, which I PRAY is a B ...ahhh. No point worrying now, need to nail the F214!!
Reply 3325
Original post by Simmytime
Unit 4's on the 22nd haha,
unless its not OCR F214 ur on about

yeh sorry thats what i mean, can it be done or am i too late
Reply 3326
Original post by lmfw
Why would you be a benefits scrounger for life? A grade B in biology is still really good... :/

Lol I know I was joking, I was just saying that at the end of the day its only an exam, it wont screw up my whole life
Original post by Soloman

At my school you can, but you end up paying a LOT of money. I think it varies from centre to centre ...
Reply 3328
Original post by susan23
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL hahaha what had copper poisoning got to do with the question...i totally disregarded it....oh and im sure you'll do well ...and i hope you get your medical offer :biggrin:

I used it in the next part of the question, why they are a rare species, coz they can only live by the seashore coz they will die if they are fed on grass
Reply 3329
Original post by fortunecookie
At my school you can be, but you end up paying a LOT of money. I think it varies from centre to centre ...

oh right well I go to a resit college in london, any idea on cost? thanks
Original post by georgie93
i put silent substitution mutation?

I put silent mutation. I initially wrote 'substitution mutation' and crossed it out and put silent mutation because it WAS - it coded for the same amino acid. so they must surely give us the mark!
the exam is now part of history! Nothing can change what you wrote nor can you can back in time to change any of your answers. The examiners will realise how badly alot of students did and the grade boundaries will be extremely low and future doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, biologists, pharmacists will all make it to their firm or insurance! Focus on the rest of your exams!
Reply 3333
For the big 11 marker,
In my Innate behavior part at the last second, after defining, using examples, and the advantages of Kinesis, and Taxis, I panicked as Kinesis sounds like directional movement. So i switched the two round, thus identifying them incorrectly. Do you reckon i'll loose all the marks I would've gotten for them? Or maybe gain some because of the correct Adv, and Eg's?
anyone has unofficial ms?
Reply 3335
Original post by Jhyzone
1)a) Plant protein - animal protein (3)

I wrote about how plants get nitrates from soil. Then they use this nitrates to syntesise amino acids which are then converted to proteins. The primary consumer (the sheep) will eat the grass then some of the nitrogenous compounds will be transferred to the animals and produce amino acids then proteins.

b) Processes that lead to process B (humus) (2)

I wrote excretion of faeces and explained it
Next is when they die, decomposers will hydrolyse them etc

c) How the processes C and D contribute to plant growth (reference to nitrifying bacteria).

I wrote Nitrobacter or Nitrosomonas :P Then i talked about how they convert ammonia ions to nitrite ions, then nitrite ions to nitrate ions in which the plant can use for growth.

?) What plant could the farmer use to restore nitrogen the soil? (2)

Leguminous plants such as peas. Then talked a bit about what I mentioned about. In addition to them having legumes in their root nodules

?) Why rare sheep should be kept in existence (2) Explain why species of those scottish sheep are likely to be extinct in the future

I dont think they asked this. See my modified q
I wrote about there's less genetic variation between species.
Then babbled on allopatric and sympatric speciation

?) The two processes involved in allowing sheep to eat seaweed (2)

Adaptation to the environment
and there's not much food source available since they were at sea shore, only sea weeds available, sheep are primary consumers.

?) The two major problems that cause these sheep to be rare? (2?) why are the genes for these sheep are highly desirable?

see modified question
I wrote about how they can use the genes for selective breeding if that particular trait has selective advantage over other organisms. This gene can then be passed onto the next generation

?) What are the three stop codons? (1)

AUG I think.

?) Why do stop codons stop translation (or some ****)?

ooh I forgot to write "truncated proteins" but I wrote about how it shortens the polypeptide this is needed because different proteins need different sizes of polypeptide chain eg in haemoglobin

?) What are the other 4 amino acids in the chain?

Trypotrophan, methionine, forgot the other 2

?) Differences between Somatic Cell Therapy and Germline Cell Therapy (2)

Somatic is insertion of gene into a plasmid. then inserted tot the genome of the organism

Germline is genetic maniputaion of the embryos

?) Differences between PNS and CNS (4)

CNS - consists of brain and spinal cord. mostly involve in voluntay actions and higher mental processes.

PNS - consists of somatic and autonomic nervous systems
Autonomic for fight or flight and relaxation - they work antagonistically

?) Differences between Prophase 1 and Prophase 2 (2)

I got this wrong but the correct answer is that bivalent form in prophase 1 and it doesn't in prophase 2

?) Describe and explain what happens to the population of waders after hedgehogs are introduced (6)

I described the trend, data and pattern using the data
then i talked about biotic factor of predation and its consequences on waders population

?) Percentage decrease of Swipes in area 2 (2)

got this wrong, hope got a mark for working out

?) Advantages of learned and innate behaviour (11)

This is my favourite :biggrin: basically i talked about a behaviour and its advantages

innate - kineses - woodlice and reflexes - eathworms
learned - operant conditioning in dogs and latent learning in lizards when they bask. its quite a long answer.

?) Describe the process of tissue culture? (7)

key words CALLUS, EXPLANT, plant hormones for growth, green house

?) Describe a suitable method for the student to measure ladybirds up the hill?

Got this wrong :P Misread the question

?) Explain a more suitable method to list the data collected (frequencies of ladybirds)? (2)

I said plot a bar graph x axis is the lady birds population and y axis is the altitude.

?) The student says, "positive correlation = ladybirds survive better in high altitudes". Is he correct in saying this? (3)

He's wrong, because I used the trend in the table.

?) Work out p and q (hardy weinberg) (2)

p = 7.01 somthing
q= 17. something

?) Hedgehogs are being trapped and killed. Discuss the ethical implications (3)

religious people - life is sacred etc
environmentalists - genetic diversity
good biological control

?) Explain why nearly all the Elm trees were wiped out when the disease hit (3)

talked about how during vegetative propagation they pass on the dissease to the basal sprouts then this continues then all basal sprouts will have the disease.

?) Molecular analysis to show they're clones (1)

analyse DNA polymerase (RNA polymerase or cytochrome c)

?) How do Elm trees produce clones [or something] (1)

vegetative propagation

?) The disease causes the leaves to turn yellow and die. Explain why? (2)

xylem vessels is for water transport. if blocked not enough water will reach the leaf = less photosynthesis = leaf loss

?) How does the root dying cause the leaves to fall? (2?)

talked about how the soil absorbs nitrates from soil. if dead not much minerals and water transported throguh xylem and phloem to the leaf. = less photosynthesis and growth

?) UUU changed to UUA. What mutation is this? (1)

point or substituion

?) Name of the nucleic acide in 5.2 (2)

RNA is it two marks? :O

?) Define innate behaviour (2)

genetic predisposed, inherited, stereotypical

?) Define learned behaviour (2)

as a result of environment, individualistic

?) Define recessive (1)

require both allele for you to have that phenotype (or is it gene not allele?)

?) Suggest and explain (?) two reasons why the hedgehog population increased so much (or something). (4?)

I wrote about lots of prey, lots of food, use food for growth and reproduction

second is I wrote about how theres no presence of predators for the hedgehogs, so its easier for hedgehogs to adapt.

you can also talk about competition.

WOW im impress thats like the whole paper there.

Hope this helps some :biggrin:

Jesus! Is it any wonder you'll probably pass the test, you have a memory that would put a fecking super computer to shame!

I come on this thread to find fellow depressed people about this exam, could the happy, successful people please go away - you're not needed here yet, you're only useful before the exam to give me answers! :angry:
I hated this paper :frown: so much ecology! I put in more work than I ever have for ANY exam before this and it was on the tiniest section of the spec! :angry:

I did not read anything about hedgehogs eating eggs :cry: so that's 10 marks out of the window for sure...
Reply 3337
i thought id be critical and calculate all the marks that i lost certainly.
ended up with about 42 certain marks i got ...
i need 70 UMS for a C so that would be 35 marks or so? right...
Reply 3338
Original post by Jayson
i thought id be critical and calculate all the marks that i lost certainly.
ended up with about 42 certain marks i got ...
i need 70 UMS for a C so that would be 35 marks or so? right...

Don't worry, come the revolution i shall destroy OCR comrade, i will then destroy and outlaw the subject of outlaw, then i shall destroy the local hedgehog population and to top it off - i shan't consider the 'ethical consequences' of these options!
Original post by mortysteve
Thinking I've got around that too! Hopefully I'll have a reasonably decent A. :smile:

iv got like 25/100 looking at the paper and the answers that i wrote! dats well crap! theres no way ill get into pharmacy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending