The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Just realised that was really long sorry guys :frown: with the muddling up they just ignore the name change, they will probably know it was just exam stress. There's that many thinkers and words you can talk about so don't worry about it (: If people do other stuff to you it means the examiner doesn't have to read the same criticism (:
Initially I thought it went well, but thinking back on it I don't think I done as well as I could have.

I knew the content but I feel like I didn't showcase it all in my answers due to bad time management. I went through a few points but in depth, rather than covering the whole spectrum.
Original post by umm123
Can't believe I did that :mad:, I hope the other ethics question went well then...:frown:

Good luck with your results :smile: Hope we all get what we need for uni!

Don't worry you'll still get marks for it :smile:

Good luck to you too, I'm sure you'll be fine!
Original post by skygirl999
For philosophy I did something similar and only mentioned the falsification and the verification principles...I think perhaps they will have only have expected us to focus on a couple of theories, because otherwise that question encompassed the entirety of the religious language section.

Hopefully what we wrote was substantial enough to get an A :smile:

There was just so much to say in such little time. If I didn't get carried away with the Falsification Principle then I would've been able to talk about analogy or something else.
Original post by sarehh
I did the exact same questions as you for both papers! But I didn't put anything in about an afterlife for the soul, :/ but bought in religious experience, also a bit on Demicritus and 'soul atoms' for the materialist side. nothing about symbol, analogy or myth for language (though i contemplated analogy, i couldn't thing how to get it in there!). I banged on about verification, falsification + the garden analogy (both Flew's and Wisdoms), then Wittgenstein and language games, which seemed to take up like 6 pages!

I was sick of writing by the time it got to ethics, though let out a cheeky grin when i twigged that one of the questions was free will and determinism, which i'd practised at the weekend! Hoo-rah! Or, boo/hurrah :biggrin: Oh god i'm so sad.

Anyway, it sounds like you absolutely MERKED it!

i was soo happy ! ohh the garden thing i was going to mention that but there's just soo much you could say ! i only managed to briefly mention language games, just a short definition and that it rendered religious language meaningless as you can't distinguish between atheism and theism, but its good because you can't criticise another persons 'language game', so in that sense it's meaningful ! sounds like you have loads of great stuff :smile:

hahaa well i nearly did a little 'dance' when i saw free will was up... but i managed to control myself :P lmao, ethics banter, gotta love it !
Original post by 04ghicks
Sneaky little reference there :P

No I just did philosophy, I did ethics in Jan :smile:

hahaa yeahh couldn't resist :P ahh right, what did you get in ethics ?
Original post by Noodlzzz
I managed to sneak in a bit of Heidegger and Kierkegaard, I was quite proud :P

I assume your doing philosophy at uni by your sig?

*high five* I mentioned Kierkegaard too :biggrin: managed to cheekily slip him into the religious language question.
Which questions did you answer?
Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp
Initially I thought it went well, but thinking back on it I don't think I done as well as I could have.

I knew the content but I feel like I didn't showcase it all in my answers due to bad time management. I went through a few points but in depth, rather than covering the whole spectrum.

I feel like I tried to do both and failed at both, and it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so distressing how I quickly I've gone from "Well, that went okay" to OH GOD FAILED EVERYTHING I HATE THIS SUBJECT. :frown:
Original post by purplefrog
*high five* I mentioned Kierkegaard too :biggrin: managed to cheekily slip him into the religious language question.
Which questions did you answer?

1 & 2 for both. You? :smile:
Original post by Noodlzzz
1 & 2 for both. You? :smile:

likewise :smile: hopefully a step closer to gower street
Original post by appleschnapps
I feel like I tried to do both and failed at both, and it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so distressing how I quickly I've gone from "Well, that went okay" to OH GOD FAILED EVERYTHING I HATE THIS SUBJECT. :frown:

Hahahhaa omg that's exactly how I feel. I went from 'oh that was such a good exam' to 'omg what the hell I didn't even talk about XYZ'

Maybe we're just looking for something to worry about? I dunno but I feel like I went into too much depth without covering enough scope. I'll probably be penalised for it :frown:
Hahahhaa omg that's exactly how I feel. I went from 'oh that was such a good exam' to 'omg what the hell I didn't even talk about XYZ'

Maybe we're just looking for something to worry about? I dunno but I feel like I went into too much depth without covering enough scope. I'll probably be penalised for it :frown:

I like to think it's just that because I've covered so much revising that I'm automatically going to feel that I haven't covered enough, but I really don't know, and now I'm just hoping I'll get a B overall and hope for the best for my other subjects. I just wish there wasn't so much pressure on these exams. (Also I am totally jealous of people that do Philosophy or Ethics in January.)
Reply 992

i feel the same it went well but i could have done better on the religious language i stuck to verification and falsification and then language games bliks and all that but never touched analogy or symbol or via negative i could have said so much more and pushed the grade up. But i guess thats what happens with essay exams
Original post by purplefrog
likewise :smile: hopefully a step closer to gower street

Woo UCL :headbang:
Reply 994
Original post by rockout24
did someone answer Q4 abt visions?? what did everyone write on that question?? im just wondering if its right to put sociological challenge as well?! it is right to say sociological explanation, into some extent is a scientific explanation??

Yeah I talked about sociological challenges from marx, psychological and psychological challenges mainly, as these are somewhat scientific. Did you write specifically about visions or include James criteria at all?
Reply 995
I messed up, I put AJ Ayer for institutionalism instead of for non-naturalism

EDIT I mean for emotivism :P i just didn't put a name for emotivism :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Well this thread sure does make me feel ****.
Reply 997
Original post by Anna Louise
hahaa yeahh couldn't resist :P ahh right, what did you get in ethics ?

I got 100 :biggrin:

Not sure how, but it means that I only need 80 ums in philosophy to get an A* so hopefully I got that! I only need AAA for uni though so im not too bothered. Five people in my class got 100 ums in ethics actually...not sure what happened!

How about you?
Original post by 04ghicks
I got 100 :biggrin:

Not sure how, but it means that I only need 80 ums in philosophy to get an A* so hopefully I got that! I only need AAA for uni though so im not too bothered. Five people in my class got 100 ums in ethics actually...not sure what happened!

How about you?

woahh that's amazing, i think i got 99 in ethics last summer :/ and 97 in philosophy, not too sure though ! 196 ums over all though, really want the a* though, so hopefully i've pulled it off !
Original post by RoshniDiya
Well this thread sure does make me feel ****.

Hahaha same here, and to think I need an A* for this subject LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending