The Student Room Group

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stirlo
I also put no on the chocolate cats question. Really I'm not sure how any of us can speculate a right answer for that as the question was so vague, like a lot of the questions that cropped up. How they expect everyone sitting the exam to interpreta question the same way the idiots at AQA do is beyond me. Without providing us with more information all we can do is bloody guess at how they want us to answer it. Take that chocolate cats question for example, it didn't mention whether it was done by breeding cats the owner already had or whether it was just theoretically possible. It's just how you interpret it. The sooner they start to realise these stupid HSW questions don't work the better unless they give us more info, although it'll be too late for all of us

This.

I found going through today's paper that there were a few questions I just saw and had to stop and think 'what are they trying to ask me to say?' because the question was so poorly worded, it wasn't clear what they were lookig for you to say for a few marks. It's not an issue with HSW, it's in all sections of biology exams, they ask very vague questions, but the mark scheme only accepts a very specific answer. Thankfully we only have to deal with this one more time :tongue:
Reply 1321
lost about 25 marks in best case
any chance of an A
I've not read through all the new posts yet, but on the very first question with the table - did the "produces ATP" point apply to both aerobic and anaerobic respiration? I've learned anaerobic respiration from pyruvate, ignoring glycolysis, so I wasn't sure whether to tick the box for anaerobic & didn't. I know it's only one mark, but there didn't seem to be a consensus within our resit group.
Reply 1323
I can't remember all the questions.
1-ATP stuff
2-GPP/NPP
3-anaerobic waste thing
4 - populations
5- inheritance
7- brirds and oil
8- long answers

what was 6?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1324
Well, that could have gone a lot worse - but I am in need of an A* in this subject and for that reason once again I find myself beholden to the grade boundaries... I'm probably right slap-bang on the damn boundary as usual, which is great because I was just thinking how little sleep I'd lost recently, and I could do with something terrifying to keep me up all night. Yeah.

I answered the essay qs first and thought "yay", then saw the mite stuff with five mins to go (no matter how I plan my time things always get hectic at the last minute) and thought "this is easy... BUT I DON'T HAVE TIME TO WRITE SENSIBLE ANSWERS!!! NOOOO! BRAIN WILL NOW SHUT DOWN, PLEASE SAVE YOUR WORK" and then upon flipping back to the cats question I thought "I am going to run a cat over when I finally get round to learning to drive" and then I thought "I should really have already done that, and also these questions shouldn't be taxing me this much, I'm a returning graduate, whaaaa" and then I thought "I really hate cats/what the hell is so difficult about this question, brain, read me the damn sentence, it seems easy" and then I ran out of time. The coffee I drank before the exam is still working, however. Maybe you can tell.

I hope the grade boundaries are similar to last year, because despite thinking "mmm yeah it seemed to go okaaaay", most people seem to have ultimately determined that things weren't quite as peachy as they first thought after checking their answers on here (case in point: my predicted marks losses have doubled due to my conclusions drawn from TSR. Yaaay...). So here's hoping the many students not on TSR completely fouled up BIOL4. I will literally drink to that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lou12
I can't remember all the questions.
1-ATP stuff
2-GPP/NPP
3-anaerobic waste thing
4 - populations
5- inheritance
7- brirds and oil
8- long answers

what was 6?

human populations in UK and Sudan. Define birth rate.etc.
Reply 1326
any suggestions on what the essay cud be about?
Reply 1327
people keep going on about the grade boundaries and saying how 50 odd will be an A (at least they were a couple of hours ago). bear in mind that in the past 3 tests, for an A* in unit 4 you have only needed 39, 41 and 52 for an A*. i think this one will be around 50 for an A* because it was around the same difficulty as jan 11 but easier than june and jan 10 (the lower grade boundaries)
Original post by altudios
Well, that could have gone a lot worse - but I am in need of an A* in this subject and for that reason once again I find myself beholden to the grade boundaries... I'm probably right slap-bang on the damn boundary as usual, which is great because I was just thinking how little sleep I'd lost recently, and I could do with something terrifying to keep me up all night. Yeah.

I answered the essay qs first and thought "yay", then saw the mite stuff with five mins to go (no matter how I plan my time things always get hectic at the last minute) and thought "this is easy... BUT I DON'T HAVE TIME TO WRITE SENSIBLE ANSWERS!!! NOOOO! BRAIN WILL NOW SHUT DOWN, PLEASE SAVE YOUR WORK" and then upon flipping back to the cats question I thought "I am going to run a cat over when I finally get round to learning to drive" and then I thought "I should really have already done that, and also these questions shouldn't be taxing me this much, I'm a returning graduate, whaaaa" and then I thought "I really hate cats/what the hell is so difficult about this question, brain, read me the damn sentence, it seems easy" and then I ran out of time. The coffee I drank before the exam is still working, however. Maybe you can tell.

I hope the grade boundaries are similar to last year, because despite thinking "mmm yeah it seemed to go okaaaay", most people seem to have ultimately determined that things weren't quite as peachy as they first thought after checking their answers on here (case in point: my predicted marks losses have doubled due to my conclusions drawn from TSR. Yaaay...). So here's hoping the many students not on TSR completely fouled up BIOL4. I will literally drink to that.

I totally understand you. Sometimes I think about embarassing moments during the exam and also some random philosophy on life. I read the question but im not really processing the info in my brain.

Didnt happen in this exam fortunately
Reply 1329
i think we should forget about this and concentrate on unit 5 next week
lets hope its an easy paper
Reply 1330
Original post by Black Butler

no thats what i meant by the populations. i really cant remember q6 and i think i may have missed it!
Regarding the cat question, I've always been taught to refer to the data within the question when it comes to AQA. They also specified 'population', and we all know populations are separated by geographical barriers - so I took 'the population' to be the cats for which all other questions had been asked.

The truth is neither people saying yes or no are wrong - both answers are correct it all depends on what they REALLY meant in the question.

If they meant the cats from data, the breeder was expecting to do this in one generation and we accept that the breeder has the same knowledge we do about the cats genotypes. Then no it was not possible.

If they meant the cats from data, the breeder had more than one generation to do this and we accept the breeder has the same knowledge we do about the cats genotypes. Then yes, it was possible.

HSW ruining lives once more.
Reply 1332

what did you put for this one? and i don't think this was question 6. question 6 was hardy weinberg and the recessive allele thing wasnt it?

and im sure in the last question on mites there was a 3/4 mark conclusion question but i cant remember what is was!?! i remember saying that based on the evidence we cannot conclude blah blah.... somethin to do with agreeing that increased mites decrease successful births?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1333
Original post by jonnyboy1993
This.

I found going through today's paper that there were a few questions I just saw and had to stop and think 'what are they trying to ask me to say?' because the question was so poorly worded, it wasn't clear what they were lookig for you to say for a few marks. It's not an issue with HSW, it's in all sections of biology exams, they ask very vague questions, but the mark scheme only accepts a very specific answer. Thankfully we only have to deal with this one more time :tongue:

Agreed. It somewhat tests the candidate on the interpretation of ambiguous phrases. Very frustrating and I think probably responsible for about 6 of the marks I lost (the rest due to a) running out of time (~4 marks), b) being stupid and forgetting the syllabus (~3 marks), c) being very stupid and failing to employ basic logic and reasoning (~5 marks), although I hope I have overestimated my losses...)

Good luck to everybody by the way, our fates are now in the hands of examiners to some extent...
Original post by altudios
"I am going to run a cat over when I finally get round to learning to drive"

This is the funniest thing i have heard all day. So you say you only had 5 mins and hadnt done the cats or mites question? I did the last questions first too
I put 0.4% for Hardy-Weinberg, which DID seem low at the time. How did everyone else get 4%? Did I misunderstand the 0.2 we were given?
Reply 1336
Original post by MessyRoom
Regarding the cat question, I've always been taught to refer to the data within the question when it comes to AQA. They also specified 'population', and we all know populations are separated by geographical barriers - so I took 'the population' to be the cats for which all other questions had been asked.

The truth is neither people saying yes or no are wrong - both answers are correct it all depends on what they REALLY meant in the question.

If they meant the cats from data, the breeder was expecting to do this in one generation and we accept that the breeder has the same knowledge we do about the cats genotypes. Then no it was not possible.

If they meant the cats from data, the breeder had more than one generation to do this and we accept the breeder has the same knowledge we do about the cats genotypes. Then yes, it was possible.

HSW ruining lives once more.

I just wish it wasn't cats and was something like a sloths which we can all unanimously hate. cos i like cats haha.
Reply 1337
Original post by peachtoast
I put 0.4% for Hardy-Weinberg, which DID seem low at the time. How did everyone else get 4%? Did I misunderstand the 0.2 we were given?

0.2 = q
q squared = 0.2 x 0.2 = 0.04

that is the fraction not the percentage. as a percentage 0.04 = 4%
Who else completely ripped apart the last 3 questions and slam dunked those marks whilst doing a backflip in to the bag
OMG mAYBE THE ANSWER IS NATURAL SELECTION.

COZ its survival of the fittest and both directional and stabilising are both wrong.

i actually put that :giggle: hahaaaa! i couldnt think of directional or stablising at the time !! only 2 marks. oh well. maybe the examiners will just decide thats right considering theres been so much debate over the two :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending