The Student Room Group

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SK-mar
I just wish it wasn't cats and was something like a sloths which we can all unanimously hate. cos i like cats haha.

HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU HATE SLOTHS!?

there were other Qs in tht paper apart from chap 8 , think i done very well overall, did get bout 50% of chap 8 unfortunately

talk about other Qs lol
Original post by JamesSimonHudson
Who else completely ripped apart the last 3 questions and slam dunked those marks whilst doing a backflip in to the bag

The one about clearing forests and burning plants?
Original post by MessyRoom
Regarding the cat question, I've always been taught to refer to the data within the question when it comes to AQA. They also specified 'population', and we all know populations are separated by geographical barriers - so I took 'the population' to be the cats for which all other questions had been asked.

The truth is neither people saying yes or no are wrong - both answers are correct it all depends on what they REALLY meant in the question.

If they meant the cats from data, the breeder was expecting to do this in one generation and we accept that the breeder has the same knowledge we do about the cats genotypes. Then no it was not possible.

If they meant the cats from data, the breeder had more than one generation to do this and we accept the breeder has the same knowledge we do about the cats genotypes. Then yes, it was possible.

HSW ruining lives once more.

Agreed Bro
Reply 1344
Original post by peachtoast
I've not read through all the new posts yet, but on the very first question with the table - did the "produces ATP" point apply to both aerobic and anaerobic respiration? I've learned anaerobic respiration from pyruvate, ignoring glycolysis, so I wasn't sure whether to tick the box for anaerobic & didn't. I know it's only one mark, but there didn't seem to be a consensus within our resit group.

It was a bit of a strange question. ATP is produced in glycolysis, which is the first stage of anaerobic respiration. I'm pretty sure I ticked it!
Original post by altudios
So here's hoping the many students not on TSR completely fouled up BIOL4. I will literally drink to that.

Hear hear! :biggrin:
Reply 1346

HAHAHA ok that picture is nice.... maybe the wrong animal - lets go for Lugworms. if you can find me a cute lugworm then i commend you! haha...
Original post by SK-mar
what did you put for this one? and i don't think this was question 6. question 6 was hardy weinberg and the recessive allele thing wasnt it?

?

Birth rate: the rate at which offspring are born in a population.
ok until someone puts an unofficial mark scheme from a good source im leaving here.
I think we should move on and revise mod 5 and hope for the best.

i have a bio tutor and ill ask him on wednesday. he marks for aqa and is a biology teacher so hell know more than we do.

Where can I get my very own pet sloth. They are adorable.
Original post by ApplePi
It was a bit of a strange question. ATP is produced in glycolysis, which is the first stage of anaerobic respiration. I'm pretty sure I ticked it!

I was dithering over it for a while at the end, but it does definitely make more sense to include glycolysis than to leave it out. I think I got the other rows right though (organelles & electron transfer chain), though the ETC one seemed strange.
Reply 1351
Original post by Black Butler
Birth rate: the rate at which offspring are born in a population.

in my book it says birth rate = number of births each year for every 1000 people in a population.
Reply 1352
This is the funniest thing i have heard all day. So you say you only had 5 mins and hadnt done the cats or mites question? I did the last questions first too

Well thank you! If only I could trade in TSR punchlines for UMS marks!

Yeah I think there were around 7 minutes to go and cats and mites were still waiting to be answered. My writing became fairly awful, I wrote the least I could get away with and ultimately misread two cats parts, missing out on 4 marks there, with a further couple lost in the mites question because by that stage it seemed like a bit of a joke (I mean, you're aware there's 2 minutes left and you think "doable", and then you read these measly two-markers through properly and think "What the hell kind of a question is that?? From whence am I to squeeze the damn marks?" and then you just become aware of the flatulent kid in front of you clearly losing control in terror as the seconds tick by, and you just think "I think we're done here...").

I hope you did well though! I never usually plan ahead well - I mean, I lost a good few silly marks, but if I hadn't done the essays first I would have been crying into a Ben and Jerry's right now.
Reply 1353
Ok, i'm freaking out!!!

WHAT and WHEREABOUTS was the electron transport chain q, because I CANNOT remember doing it!!!! ??!!!! :frown:
Original post by SK-mar
0.2 = q
q squared = 0.2 x 0.2 = 0.04

that is the fraction not the percentage. as a percentage 0.04 = 4%

Oh, that makes sense - I feel daft now!
Thanks! :smile:
Original post by SK-mar
in my book it says birth rate = number of births each year for every 1000 people in a population.

****e. There goes a mark.

I think I probably got 63/72 :s-smilie: altogether.
Flip i put nautral selection :/ i was gonna put directional but i got confused:/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13710868

Let's get ourselves on here by complaining about HSW questions.
Who else completely ripped apart the last 3 questions and slam dunked those marks whilst doing a backflip in to the bag

Hahahahah so true
Original post by ECHF
Ok, i'm freaking out!!!

WHAT and WHEREABOUTS was the electron transport chain q, because I CANNOT remember doing it!!!! ??!!!! :frown:

There was a 6 marker on it at the back of the booklet.

oooooooooooooh you missed it :shock:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending