i put it is down to the random fusion of gametes and thats it
is this right?

yeh im sure thats fine. I don't actually know but it seems right to me. :smile:
Original post by choc1234
i put it is down to the random fusion of gametes and thats it
is this right?

thats exactly what i put - so i hope so! :smile:
Reply 1442
Random fusion of gametes will get at least a mark, so if that question was a one-marker then fantabulous, else, could do better.

I hope that most students didn't think this was easier, because I would like lower grade boundaries if at all possible. Any time travellers please go back and distract my peers for me? Thanks.
Original post by coffee345
Is it just me, or did anyone think this paper was easier than January's?

God yes.
why did the horse use less energy at 9C (march)
i had no idea :s

It used less energy? I thought it increased due to the need to keep warm...
Reply 1444
P.S. Horse expended more energy raising body temp in March (it's an endotherm).
Reply 1445
why did the horse use less energy at 9C (march)
i had no idea :s

I left this question to come back to at the end.... of course that was a stupid decision as I ran out of time haha.....

actually no - i just realised that i did answer it lol....

I think i put - horse used up more energy to maintain a rate of respiration which would maintain its body temperature or something.. wat was the exact question, can anyone remember?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zetsubeau
God yes.

It used less energy? I thought it increased due to the need to keep warm...

what do you think the grade boundaries would be?

I think grade boundaries would be about 49???
Not sure though"/

It was much easier...
There was a lot of 1 mark either you know it; or you don't questions. :smile:
Like the ATP question at the start... if you didn't know that one, you probably shouldn't have sat the exam :'D
Original post by SarahTM
I worked everything out... Got the same as you and made sure it all added up to 1...

Then wrote down the Heterozygous percentage :frown:
Hoping I'll get one? :smile:

that exactly what I did too, worked out everything and thort we had to work out heterozygous, so ended up writing 64% on the line but also worked out 4% so hopefully will get a least a mark
what do you think the grade boundaries would be?

High probably, most people came out positive.
Reply 1450
Grade boundaries maybe 57 A*, 52 A, if indeed much easier than Jan. Else I hope more like 55 A*, 50 A max. But really a moot point until August comes along. WAAAH.
Reply 1451
You guys are so lucky have a look at this! OCR paper that happened today https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Students-against-the-F215-GCE-Biology-June-2011-paper/225705074124228

Worst exam ever.

I think grade boundaries would be about 49???
Not sure though"/

It was much easier...
There was a lot of 1 mark either you know it; or you don't questions. :smile:
Like the ATP question at the start... if you didn't know that one, you probably shouldn't have sat the exam :'D
Reply 1453
Anyway I think the longer I read this thread the more I get depressed... I must learn to let go... must... leave... TSR... and move on...
Original post by SK-mar
nah i didn't include the shrew papers questions - that was jan 2010. im referring to jan 2011 and june 2010. But yeh i reckon that it was slightly harder than this jan's paper as it was so so so vague at times! must agree though, last questions were quite beautiful...

although apparently the dead leaves one was only referring only to how nitrogen is made available to plants and didn't want how carbon is made available. i mentioned all the nitrogen stuff, but also mentioned how the decomposers respire and make CO2 available to plants. hopefully won't get negatively marked for that haha.....

Oh excellent, that's cheered me up! I'm glad the how science works question was marginally more reasonable this summer, although that's not hard! Really really REALLY hoping for good grade boundaries! I need at least an A > <

I don't think they'll negatively mark you, I expect that they'll just ignore all the things you wrote about regarding carbon dioxide!
was atp, adp plus pi = atp plus h20

do u have to metnion h20 lol
Reply 1456
Original post by altudios
Grade boundaries maybe 57 A*, 52 A, if indeed much easier than Jan. Else I hope more like 55 A*, 50 A max. But really a moot point until August comes along. WAAAH.

jeez those boundaries are so high! I seriously hope they're not that high.

june 2010 was 39 for an A* - jan 2011 - 52 for an A*

I hope its no different to jan. to be hones there were a lot of vague questions that a lot of people answered differently therefore i hope its similar to jan 2011 at the max!
Reply 1457
Original post by SK-mar
jeez those boundaries are so high! I seriously hope they're not that high.

june 2010 was 39 for an A* - jan 2011 - 52 for an A*

I hope its no different to jan. to be hones there were a lot of vague questions that a lot of people answered differently therefore i hope its similar to jan 2011 at the max!

I agree with you! I've just learnt to be pessimistic when it comes to exam marks, so as to be pleasantly surprised... but I hope you're right. Hell, what do I know! I wrote one of my answers in the wrong damn box, how smart can I be??
Reply 1458
Original post by Jing_jing
Oh excellent, that's cheered me up! I'm glad the how science works question was marginally more reasonable this summer, although that's not hard! Really really REALLY hoping for good grade boundaries! I need at least an A > <

I don't think they'll negatively mark you, I expect that they'll just ignore all the things you wrote about regarding carbon dioxide!

well the points I put were:

- decomposers digest dead leaves via extra-cellular digestion
- in doing so they convert the dead organic matter into ammonium ions in the soil
- ammonium ions are converted into nitrates via nitrites by nitrifying bacteria
- nitrates used for protein synthesis or synthesis of nucleic acids in the plants

points for CO2:

- decomposers aerobically respire, producing CO2
- CO2 can be taken in by plants stomata for photosynthesis to form hexose sugard (eg.glucose) ...

thats only 4 points relating to nitrogen though so i feel I probably dropped a mark there... but i cant really think of anything else except that the conversion of ammonium ions to nitrates is an oxidation reaction. will i only get 4 you reckon? or is there enough there for 5?
Reply 1459
Original post by khimmy
hey can i just ask what did people get for the genotypes in the black, chocolate and cinnamon fur..??
i got :
black = Bb
Chocolate = Bb(small i)
Cinnammon- b(small i) b (small i)

i got
black fur
chocolate fur
black fur
:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending