The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pentland
Ok, we all know that psychology is hard but it can be done!

I know theres probs people posted on here right now..... but if someone would like to help me?

What topics do you think will come up for:

Aggression
Relationships
Eating Behaviours

- THANKS and please quote me :smile:

Past questions and my predictions:
RELATIONSHIPS
Jan 11 formation of relationships
Jun 10 relationships in different cultures
Jan 10 evolutionary approach to parental investment
(pred. sexual selection/influence of early and/or adolescent exp. on adult relationships)

AGGRESSION
Jan 11 evolutionary explanations of human aggression
Jun 10 genetic factors and social explanations of aggression
Jan 10 explanations of institutional aggression
(pred. group display/neural & hormonal mechanisms?)

Good luck x
Reply 781
does anyone have a good essay on shift work and jet lag for sleep?
Reply 782
Original post by teaandcoffee

Good luck! Fortunately cramming is my best form of revision. If I revise weeks in advance I feel a lot less prepared. Strange.

Ahh I'm not going to do many essays, just go with it I guess... Need to find lots of AO3 and chuck that in.

lool im kinda the same tbh! yeah but psycho does ur head in lool with all the studies and evaluation -_- and I want to do this at uni! :|
Original post by MVD_02
lool im kinda the same tbh! yeah but psycho does ur head in lool with all the studies and evaluation -_- and I want to do this at uni! :|

Its alright, I always remember loads of studies and then only ever use a small amount. I sometimes make up studies too. Works a treat.

For my sociology exam I had about 40+ studies, and I used the grand total of 3. Got 100/100 UMS. :wink:

But yeah, I think when I first sat this exam I put literally NO AO3 in whatsoever cos I never really understood it. But I kind of do now!
Reply 784

Its alright, I always remember loads of studies and then only ever use a small amount. I sometimes make up studies too. Works a treat.

For my sociology exam I had about 40+ studies, and I used the grand total of 3. Got 100/100 UMS. :wink:

But yeah, I think when I first sat this exam I put literally NO AO3 in whatsoever cos I never really understood it. But I kind of do now!

wow you smacked it with the 100/100 DAMN! well done :smile:
lool yeahh you need loads of AO3 to get the marks!! but I guess that can be done easily if you remember the studies and evaluate them!
Original post by dr.phalange
Does anyone have any decent A02/3 points for The Boundary Model on failures of dieting? I have loads of A01 and NO A02 :frown:
Thank you in advance!

Sorry if you're question has already been answered...
but AO2 for Restraint Theory (which includes the Boundary Model I think)...

Wardle and Beale- investigated whether restrained eating results in over-eating. Lab experiment assessing food intakes and 4 and 6 weeks of 27 obese women. 3 conditions- diet, exercise and control. Found that those in the diet group ate more, supporting the causal link between restrained eating and overeating.
Strengths- experimental so can manipulate variables and can conclude causation and is random allocation so groups should be the same except for the independent variable.
Weaknesses- only 9 in each sample so small sample therefore not generalisable, ptps may have an alternative agenda i.e. continue using weight loss methods they used prior to study and as its a lab setting it lacks ecological validity and ptps may respond to demand characteristics.

Also you can say that it explains binge-eating, but not the selve staving and successful weight loss of anorexics and how vegetarians never eat meat, if be attempting not to eat something causes you to eat it.
Also you could talk about most research being gender biased- mainly on women. also stuff about free will vs determinism.
Sorry for the rather drawn out answer- hope it helps. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 786
does anyone know what the eating behaviour question was in jan 11? :smile:
Guys, you all seem SO certain its going to Evolutionary for Eating and Group Display for Aggression... I dont know whether to be reassured or nervous about this? :L

Anybody got any typed up preparation essays of the above?
andd Anyone got any predictions for Cognitive Development?

:smile:
Original post by ruby_snc
does anyone know what the eating behaviour question was in jan 11? :smile:

yeahhhh it was;

Discuss the role of one or more factors that influence attitudes to food.
(4 marks + 8 marks)

Outline and evaluate the role of neural mechanisms in controlling eating.
(5 marks + 8 marks)
Reply 789
Original post by Becksiee26

Original post by Becksiee26
yeahhhh it was;

Discuss the role of one or more factors that influence attitudes to food.
(4 marks + 8 marks)

Outline and evaluate the role of neural mechanisms in controlling eating.
(5 marks + 8 marks)

group displays of aggression...can i write about religious displays for this?
Reply 791
I sometimes make up studies too. Works a treat.

Ditto. In January for PSYA4, my essay for Schizophrenia was lacking some considerable Ao2, so I thought lets just make some studies up. :biggrin:

Although I definitely do not advise you do this, it can work because some examiners are extremely lazy and are more concerned about how many papers they get through rather than checking what you write is fact or fiction.

Just want to add that my so called "studies" worked to some extent because from a breakdown of my marks for each section, I was pleasantly surprised that I got an A for the Schizophrenia section. :smile:
Reply 792
Original post by safwaansh
group displays of aggression...can i write about religious displays for this?

Yes you can, that seems to be what a lot of people are doing.

Anywhoooo. I'm losing the will to live over this exam! :smile: Bored of revising it.
Original post by Mehhhx
Yes you can, that seems to be what a lot of people are doing.

Anywhoooo. I'm losing the will to live over this exam! :smile: Bored of revising it.

wouldn't mind that coming up. i've given up on revising psychology. takes up too much of my time.
Original post by MVD_02

I know that feeling, where you hoping to study?
Reply 795
Original post by MVD_02
sleep, eat disorder and aggression :smile:
got a C in jan for unit 4 but im retaking!! doing schiz and media and research methods :smile:

oh cool did you get to pick yours?

what are you hoping to get this time round? i really want an A* overall but an A will do :smile: i havent sat either of them yet, but got 2 As last year :smile:

i hate research methods!!!
Original post by Dourish
Ditto. In January for PSYA4, my essay for Schizophrenia was lacking some considerable Ao2, so I thought lets just make some studies up. :biggrin:

Although I definitely do not advise you do this, it can work because some examiners are extremely lazy and are more concerned about how many papers they get through rather than checking what you write is fact or fiction.

Just want to add that my so called "studies" worked to some extent because from a breakdown of my marks for each section, I was pleasantly surprised that I got an A for the Schizophrenia section. :smile:

Lol I've made up studies in all four of my psychology units. It makes it seem as if I'm making up loads of studies; I don't. Most of the time I usually get a brain freeze and forget a study, so just put a name down that sounds similar haha.

Ugh got to revise now.
Reply 797
Original post by StudentToday
very confused right now... (RELATIONSHIPS)
How would you answer include the following questions...
- Disucss the relationship between sexual selection and human reporductive behaviour
- Outline and evaluate the evolutionary approach to parental investment
When ever i try to answer them i talk about the same stuff and the same research i treat them as if they are the same question but there not.. Can some1 help this i ssoooo confusing..

you can talk about some of the same things in both as long as its relevant...

so for the sexual selection one talk about how research shows that the sexes like different things and some of the same things, then bring in natural and sexual selection etc... you can then mention how parental investment says men like youth as this is tied to fertility and women like resources (supported by all the research findings you would have already mentioned).

then go into evaluation about that.

for the second one you want to mention the differences in reproductive behaviour (causal sex, differences in sexual jealousy etc) and then relate that into how the parental investment model explains that-so men have casual sex as that is reproductive success for them, whereas for women it lacks commitment for any resulting offspring etc...
then you could bring in Buss & schmitts sexual strategies theory and point out as they say women do sometimes go for the short term for 'mate insurance'...
then just evaluate that

hope that helps :smile:
Anyone know an AO2/AO3 for group displays? Can you talk about the fact that studies took place in the real environment so confounding variables not controlled? Have the rest of the essay just need some kind of AO3 - gender bias, cultural bias,ethics etc. does not seem to fit! :frown:
Original post by magicalyoghurt
Anyone know an AO2/AO3 for group displays? Can you talk about the fact that studies took place in the real environment so confounding variables not controlled? Have the rest of the essay just need some kind of AO3 - gender bias, cultural bias,ethics etc. does not seem to fit! :frown:

many groups are not aggressive
implications of the research for poliece strategies
deindividuation as an alternative approach
and the rest comes from methodological evaluation of your studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending