The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Calumcalum
It's very complex so it depends where there's too much serotonin and stuff, but it can inhibit those kinds of feelings (Prozac increases serotonin activity in between synapses, so too much serotonin caused by Prozac is likely to be why it has that effect).

I just ask since I have trouble emotionally relating to people and my psychiatrist thinks I have too much serotonin, which he reckons is causing my psychosis (though he's still got no idea what's going on, poor chap). So I was wondering if there was a connection between my supposed serotonin levels and tin-man heart :ninja:
Original post by Lantana
Sadly I have run out of rep.

How did your exam go?

Why is it an odd subject? Surely every church should have at least some teaching on it.

And I doubt anybody hates you as we'd all be very big hypocrites :yep:

I think you are thinking of oxytocin :tongue:

Wasn't great, could be worse. Wish there was less histology. Don't you just loathe histology? I'm yet to meet a medic who likes it!

Odd because whilst the church has teaching on it, no one really talks about it. I'm sorry for bringing it up.

I don't even want to hear about oxytocin right now. My exam on friday was (partially) about endocrinology, so blah hormone blah. They can all just go away! :tongue:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

I just ask since I have trouble emotionally relating to people and my psychiatrist thinks I have too much serotonin, which he reckons is causing my psychosis (though he's still got no idea what's going on, poor chap). So I was wondering if there was a connection between my supposed serotonin levels and tin-man heart :ninja:

Aww! I love the way you said that in such a comical way :tongue: Well I hope you are well and feel loved by others and certainly know you are loved by God and people here in the Christian Soc :hugs: Unless this show of affection by myself has confused you and your tin-man heart, in which case I apologise :ninja:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
I really don't think any Christian should be using terms like 'chavvy streets'. We are to love and respect all men, and recognise the image of God in them, especially they happen to be poor and marginalised in our society.

I still fundamentally disagree with your point about men and women. Even if they do have different [spiritual] roles, there is still no real evidence of this idea that men naturally possess authority. I'm talking about men of all social classes when I say that they do not necessarily possess authority. In general, I find rather that an 'aura of authority' seems to belong to the least humble - the very group who ought not to be leading us.

I would also say that your reading of the Genesis text is rather confusing for me. God created Eve precisely to share in Adam's role - they were not given distinct roles at all.

I do not think that all men have a greater sense of authority; I happen to know plenty who cannot even embrace oratory. Besides, I actually naturally find more virtues personified in women than in men as the latter are largely responsible for moral degradation in my opinion.

If you doubt that men have a role in protecting women then what say you of this:

"And the rib which the Lord God had taken from man made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." - Genesis 2:21-24.
Original post by rainbowbex
Wasn't great, could be worse. Wish there was less histology. Don't you just loathe histology? I'm yet to meet a medic who likes it!

Odd because whilst the church has teaching on it, no one really talks about it. I'm sorry for bringing it up.

I don't even want to hear about oxytocin right now. My exam on friday was (partially) about endocrinology, so blah hormone blah. They can all just go away! :tongue:

The main thing is that it's over! :woo: I think knowing that it could have gone worse is always a good sign :smile:

I think people are just embarrassed to talk about sex in general. Or perhaps I generalise too much. Again I think it's because sex somehow ends up looking dirty and wrong. Don't apologise though. If you can't bring it up on an Internet forum, there's no hope :biggrin:

Original post by Facticity
Aww! I love the way you said that in such a comical way :tongue: Well I hope you are well and feel loved by others and certainly know you are loved by God and people here in the Christian Soc :hugs: Unless this show of affection by myself has confused you and your tin-man heart, in which case I apologise :ninja:

Bless your heart, that was a terribly sweet message to read :smile: Unfortunately I'm not that well and though my head knows that people love me, my heart and soul don't feel it. The only person who I feel loves me is someone who I rarely see or speak to :nopity: I do like this Christian Soc though and am trying to stop throwing God's love back in his face :o:
Original post by Alex-jc123
I do not think that all men have a greater sense of authority; I happen to know plenty who cannot even embrace oratory. Besides, I actually naturally find more virtues personified in women than in men as the latter are largely responsible for moral degradation in my opinion.

If you doubt that men have a role in protecting women then what say you of this:

"And the rib which the Lord God had taken from man made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." - Genesis 2:21-24.

I'd probably say something like 'huh?' I don't see how that quote speaks to the issue of men protecting women. All it shows is that they will get married.

If you don't think that men have a greater sense of authority, do you think there are any non-biblical reasons why men should lead?

I think people are just embarrassed to talk about sex in general. Or perhaps I generalise too much. Again I think it's because sex somehow ends up looking dirty and wrong. Don't apologise though. If you can't bring it up on an Internet forum, there's no hope :biggrin:

This is very true, I asked one of the youth leaders about this stuff before a couple years back and as I recall they could barely talk to me normally, perhaps thought it was inappropriate or something :dontknow:
I don't see why it is demonised as such, it is a natural act and seeing as it is always shoved in our faces nowadays from a very young age, I think there should be more stress to address it rather than shy away leaving Christians - especially youth - either completely ignorant of the teaching or thinking that it is unimportant. Its a shame :sadnod:

Bless your heart, that was a terribly sweet message to read :smile: Unfortunately I'm not that well and though my head knows that people love me, my heart and soul don't feel it. The only person who I feel loves me is someone who I rarely see or speak to :nopity: I do like this Christian Soc though and am trying to stop throwing God's love back in his face :o:

Well, when you got some love to give, let it out! (or so my mum always says) :awesome:

Well I hope you can get better or get some help (with results). Well the Christian Soc gives us a community so as long as you're not feeling alone its not too bad. Tbh the whole endeavour of life is to stop throwing God's love and grace back in His face, so I wouldn't get too down about it, seeing as its the common human slip-up. :smile:

As for the bit in bold, I guess I have a new mission then, eh? :biggrin:
I'd probably say something like 'huh?' I don't see how that quote speaks to the issue of men protecting women. All it shows is that they will get married.

If you don't think that men have a greater sense of authority, do you think there are any non-biblical reasons why men should lead?

Does not that quote I referenced strictly say that men should protect their wives above even their own family? You seem to be making secular rather than spiritual assumptions. God is everywhere so even secular views should be at least remotely in accordance with biblical morals.

Any non-biblical reason would not be absolute or binding. However, in general, I believe that men typically personify more aggressive, violent and steadfast attributes necessary for governance and political factionalism (necessary for a healthy government, as modern history shows). Besides, both philosophy and science support that the universe is grounded upon the idea of 'balance'; women usurping all of the roles of men would thus result in imbalance, and offense to God as He established the social order of men and women which was abandoned in the 1920s in America and subsequently in the 1950s here.
Does not that quote I referenced strictly say that men should protect their wives above even their own family? You seem to be making secular rather than spiritual assumptions. God is everywhere so even secular views should be at least remotely in accordance with biblical morals.

Any non-biblical reason would not be absolute or binding. However, in general, I believe that men typically personify more aggressive, violent and steadfast attributes necessary for governance and political factionalism (necessary for a healthy government, as modern history shows). Besides, both philosophy and science support that the universe is grounded upon the idea of 'balance'; women usurping all of the roles of men would thus result in imbalance, and offense to God as He established the social order of men and women which was abandoned in the 1920s in America and subsequently in the 1950s here.

I don't see how that quote says anything about protection at all - where do you think it comes in? I don't think this is anything to do with spiritual v secular assumptions, this is just about what that verse means. And I really do not see how it says anything about protection, leadership roles etc.

I really don't like the idea that aggression and violence are the right attributes for government. If you really think men are like that, I would suggest campaigning for an all-female parliament.

I also dislike the idea that the Victorians had the right idea about gender relationships. These ideas are based on the wife having to obey her husband, and having no rights herself. It's a complete distortion of biblical teaching, and it is a complete denial of the rights and value of women.
Thank you everyone. I don't know how I come across posting here, but half. (If not more of the time) I'm not a very wEell put together woman,and I struggle, and fail at being christianness.

Thank you everyone. I don't know how I come across posting here, but half. (If not more of the time) I'm not a very wEell put together woman,and I struggle, and fail at being christianness.

Thats being too harsh on yourself :redface: Everyone struggles and fails and no one is perfectly put together otherwise we wouldn't need to be saved and forgiven so often :tongue: I think low confidence can often leave us in a much more vulnerable state and this means we tend to slip up even more often. I'd say chin up! You've got a good heart and well, you know the whole story with Jesus right. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't see how that quote says anything about protection at all - where do you think it comes in? I don't think this is anything to do with spiritual v secular assumptions, this is just about what that verse means. And I really do not see how it says anything about protection, leadership roles etc.

I really don't like the idea that aggression and violence are the right attributes for government. If you really think men are like that, I would suggest campaigning for an all-female parliament.

I also dislike the idea that the Victorians had the right idea about gender relationships. These ideas are based on the wife having to obey her husband, and having no rights herself. It's a complete distortion of biblical teaching, and it is a complete denial of the rights and value of women.

Well, I'm sure you'll agree that God looks after us? Well, God created women with the help of man, meaning that men should protect women (afterall, Adam named Eve 'woman' and he also named the animals). Moreover, as the quote stated, "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother and cleave unto his wife." How do you interpret this?

I have never said that women should be devoid of rights. The fact that you have jumped to this 'Victorian' context tells me how sensitive you are about female rights, so perhaps this is why you choose to disbelieve the God-ordained role of men and women? The Bible teaches that women should be submissive but not slaves. They have the right to hold opinions, have an education, attend Church/preaching sessions and question their husbands - but they must honour their husband by allowing him to be the chief co-operator in the marriage. 'Equality' does not necessarily mean that two different things are allowed to do the same things because those two different things are designed for different purposes.

Women must submit to their husband's authority mainly due to the fact that Eve was the first to sin, leading God to state: "And thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." Satan created sin by rebellion; forsaking this fundamental principle of God's social order is also rebellion.

P.S: I also disagree with the Victorian attitude towards marriage because it is an example of how men abuse their position with arrogance and lust for power over women. But, when implemented properly, the role of the husband is imperative.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4352
Well, I'm sure you'll agree that God looks after us? Well, God created women with the help of man, meaning that men should protect women (afterall, Adam named Eve 'woman' and he also named the animals). Moreover, as the quote stated, "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother and cleave unto his wife." How do you interpret this?

I have never said that women should be devoid of rights. The fact that you have jumped to this 'Victorian' context tells me how sensitive you are about female rights, so perhaps this is why you choose to disbelieve the God-ordained role of men and women? The Bible teaches that women should be submissive but not slaves. They have the right to hold opinions, have an education, attend Church/preaching sessions and question their husbands - but they must honour their husband by allowing him to be the chief co-operator in the marriage. 'Equality' does not necessarily mean that two different things are allowed to do the same things because those two different things are designed for different purposes.

Women must submit to their husband's authority mainly due to the fact that Eve was the first to sin, leading God to state: "And thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." Satan created sin by rebellion; forsaking this fundamental principle of God's social order is also rebellion.

P.S: I also disagree with the Victorian attitude towards marriage because it is an example of how men abuse their position with arrogance and lust for power over women. But, when implemented properly, the role of the husband is imperative.

There's very few things I hate more than people using religion to back up their bigoted views. I'm sorry, I want this thread to be a happy and supportive place where people can come in friendship, so I'm trying not to let what you're saying aggravate me, but I'm finding it very very difficult. Of course people have different interpretations of scripture, I know that very well, I just find views like yours very difficult.
Original post by Calumcalum
Why do you say it's counter-intuitive? Serotonin does seem to be quite enigmatic and paradoxical though, I'm convinced my lecturers keep saying too little serotonin and too much serotonin can do the same thing :s-smilie: other neurotransmitters are much simpler :biggrin: good luck for your exams when they come then!

Well from last week being mental health and being told all about SSRI/SNRI/TCA to try and modify the receptors so more serotonin is retained to combat depression, it seems illogical. (Although there is a theory that the decreased serotonin is a cause rather than the effect). Besides, I knew there was a reason why I didn't like neuroscience.

I don't hate it either though. I think this is due to my biomed degree though, so I've had more practice. I still don't plan to go into pathology though.

It's fine. you obviously needed to be a fly on the wall at my youth group, or maybe we just had dodgy minds :dontknow:

I avoided the endocrinology modules in my 3rd year :blush:

Can I tell you a secret?

Don't assume that everyone else here is a saint! I would certainly say for myself that, well over half the time, I do not act 'christianly'.
Thats being too harsh on yourself :redface: Everyone struggles and fails and no one is perfectly put together otherwise we wouldn't need to be saved and forgiven so often :tongue: I think low confidence can often leave us in a much more vulnerable state and this means we tend to slip up even more often. I'd say chin up! You've got a good heart and well, you know the whole story with Jesus right. :biggrin:

Thank you :') xx
I'm baaaaack :ahee:

Welcome back :hugs:

Big shout out to the awesome guy in the sky! Got my uni results, passed first year, and got high marks in my main subject! VERY VERY grateful! So massive thanks to Him, and a massive thanks for all you guys praying for me too!
(edited 12 years ago)

Sure, I'd definitely say that God looks after us. But I really don't see how you're transferring that to women. The act of creation isn't what makes God want to protect us - He wants to protect us because He loves us. This isn't something that differentiates men and women.

About man 'leaving his father and mother', it's talking about how a man will leave his family and be united with his wife, and they will become 'one flesh', and be their own family unit. I really, really cannot see anything about protecting/leading in there, can you explain?

About rights - all I was responding to was this idea that relationships were fundamentally 'correct' between the genders before the 1950s. I don't see how anyone could think those times were times were the biblical view of womanhood prevailed.

The Bible clearly does teach that a woman should be submissive, and not a slave (as was essentially the case in Victorian times), but you're omitting the fact that men are also taught to submit. I do not see any reason to give different content to the woman's submission.

If we're talking about Eve, I don't think we can use the curses after the Fall as prescriptive. If we were, we might suggest that women ought not be allowed pain-relief during labour, or that work for men must be painful. Given everything else that's contained in those curses, it seems to me we ought to view them as descriptions, certainly not as pronouncements on what manhood and womanhood should be.
Original post by Lantana
Well from last week being mental health and being told all about SSRI/SNRI/TCA to try and modify the receptors so more serotonin is retained to combat depression, it seems illogical. (Although there is a theory that the decreased serotonin is a cause rather than the effect). Besides, I knew there was a reason why I didn't like neuroscience.

Ahh gotcha. Neuroscience is my best friend though :frown:
Thank you :') xx

No problem! I understand about getting down on yourself but it doesn't help, if anything it makes things worse. But obviously we can cheer you up here :awesome:

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Welcome back :hugs:

I am back! :ahee:

Good to be back thanks! :hugs:

Big shout out to the awesome guy in the sky! Got my uni results, passed first year, and got high marks in my main subject! VERY VERY grateful! So massive thanks to Him, and a massive thanks for all you guys praying for me too!

Glad to hear about that! :woo: You thoroughly deserved it. Prayers were no problem :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending