What is the difference between actus reus and mens rea? Watch

homousandfalafel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Can someone please tell me the difference between Actus reus and Mens rea In Law ? I can't seem to figure it out... and i have a Law exam soon
ben..brown
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you have a Criminal Law exam soon and you can't figure out the difference between Actus Reus and Mens rea, you've got some serious cramming to do.

For a GCSE/ALevel exam, here's a VERY BRIEF summaryt:

• Actus Reus is the physical element of a crime. It can be in the form of an act, an omission or a state of affairs. It's the actual conduct which caused the crime. (Such as for a battery; the actus reus is the unlawful application of force (touching).
  • Mens Rea is the mental element of a crime. It's what goes on inside the defendants mind. It can be in the form of direct intention, indirect (oblique) intention or recklessness. (Eg. the mens rea of a battery is is intention or recklessness).

Both are required for a crime, (apart from Strict Liability of fences where no mens rea is required).

Get your book open and learn the cases to go with.

Good luck for the exam.
homousandfalafel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by ben..brown)
If you have a Criminal Law exam soon and you can't figure out the difference between Actus Reus and Mens rea, you've got some serious cramming to do.

For a GCSE/ALevel exam, here's a VERY BRIEF summaryt:

• Actus Reus is the physical element of a crime. It can be in the form of an act, an omission or a state of affairs. It's the actual conduct which caused the crime. (Such as for a battery; the actus reus is the unlawful application of force (touching).
  • Mens Rea is the mental element of a crime. It's what goes on inside the defendants mind. It can be in the form of direct intention, indirect (oblique) intention or recklessness. (Eg. the mens rea of a battery is is intention or recklessness).

Both are required for a crime, (apart from Strict Liability of fences where no mens rea is required).

Get your book open and learn the cases to go with.

Good luck for the exam.

Thankyou, I appreciate it !
Ernesaks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by homousandfalafel)
Can someone please tell me the difference between Actus reus and Mens rea In Law ? I can't seem to figure it out... and i have a Law exam soon
In very brief words: the objective element and the subjective one
new1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by homousandfalafel)
Actus reus is latin for "guilty act" and mens rea is latin for "guilty mind".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (159)
66.81%
No (79)
33.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed