The Student Room Group

The Norwegian Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by JayTeeKay
Eeek! Ok, on second thoughts, I'd probably stay away from the svið. I can't imagine it tastes much better than any other part of the sheep and I doubt I could stomach having my dinner looking back at me! A whole head is quite a lot though. Is it one head per person?

I saw one polar bear (alive any way. They have stuffed ones in the school and museum amongst other places). I was on a schooner somewhere near Trygghamna. We'd just been walking along the shore and came back on the boat. About 10 minutes later somebody saw the bear walking along the route we'd taken from the other direction. We reckon it had our scent!
You could tell how big and powerful it was from the boat but it looked like a moving rock to the naked eye (we had to use binoculars). It would have been great to have seen him closer.

Apparently the cheek meat is considered the best, tenderest meat on sheep. I showed that video of svið eating to my grandma and even she said that's disgusting and she's an older Norwegian (just turned 87) from Vestlandet so, yeah, I'm guessing outside of Iceland it's pretty repulsive to just about everyone, haha. No, it's only half a head and without the brain.

Such amazing creatures. I'd love to see one. One day, hopefully. Although my dad swears he saw a bear the last time we were in Norway, personally I think he'd just had too much akevitt (this was at Holmenkollen, haha).

Original post by matsL
I'm joining right... now. Skjera?

Hei! Vi snakkar om smalehovud, Island, Svalbard og isbjørnar.
Reply 241
I've seen a moose in the wild, but no bears or wolves :frown:
Reply 242
Original post by Becca
I've seen a moose in the wild, but no bears or wolves :frown:

You might want to have a check around the Soria Moria hotel in Holmenkollen, haha. :biggrin:
Reply 243
Original post by Luceria
*ser.

Yes, I'm annoying. Haha

No, not annoying. Good. I need to be corrected on sloppy errors like this as I'm planning to take the Bergenstest at some point! I don't write much Norwegian so I need to improve!
Reply 244
Original post by Luceria
Oh, okay. lol. Anyone who manages to learn some Norwegian.. Well I'm impressed!

It's actually not that hard a language tbh! Grammatically speaking anyways. Plus it sounds nice :h:
Norwegians :coma:

My best friend is Norwegian. Why are you guys so beautiful? Your country is so beautiful, and you're all so good looking! I want to fall in love with a Scandanavian one day :biggrin:
Reply 246
Original post by Luceria

Original post by Luceria
I stalked your profile, and Oxford Brookes? Ooh. I've been there! It's nice.

How nice? :biggrin: Still undecided, but Oxford Brookes seems to be the most likely. Hope it'll be easy to get accomodation at the student halls as an international student. Which university are you in?
Reply 247
Okay, then imma heading to Headington, no doubt! Just need to get in! ;( :wink:
Reply 248
Riiiiiip :frown:
Reply 249
Original post by Luceria
I've read about that, but I wasn't sure. Easier for English speakers or something like that. It'll always feel a bit weird with foreigners learning Norwegian though, or people thinking it sounds nice. I'm more like "What? Norwegian? Why bother." :tongue:

A lot of Norwegians seem to think that, it's a shame as it really is a nice language (an awful lot nicer than English at any rate). A friend of mine is learning Faroese and I have to wonder how useful that is though (there's only 35,000 speakers, I think, and the Faroes don't have much literature), probably better to just learn Icelandic and understand it fairly well anyway, she likes it anyway so 'tis all cool.
Reply 250
Original post by Luceria
Well you're quite unusual, haha. It's not very common for people to be interested in Norway, I think. So Norwegians find it a little strange. Most don't know even know it's a country, to put it like that.

Faroese? Nice.

Except for Americans; "Oh yeeeah, my great grandaddy's uncle's half-brother's nephew's step-mother's pet goldfish was from Norway; that makes me Norwegian-American!" Haha. Did you ever watch "Alt for Norge"? So much cringe in one show.

Yeah, it's a nice language - like Icelandic but without the þ/th sound; so they say, f. eks., "hver er tú?" rather than "hver er þú?". I think it's supposed to be a lot like Middle Norwegian (it comes from Old Norwegian, so not too surprising I guess), but with some modern Danish and Icelandicisms. Oh, and it uses the nice "ø" rather than the "ö" (one of my many gripes with modern Icelandic orthography, bleh).

So, Luceria, insomnia much? :biggrin:
Reply 251
Original post by Luceria
Yeah.. And yes, I did watch "Alt for Norge". It was an interesting show, though a lot of cringe. Though I reckon Alt for Norge 2 is going to be even more cringeworthy. (they're airing it in the autumn). The finale of the show is the most stupid
finale I've ever seen.

I was afraid it sounded like German or something. But it's nice that you think that. Interesting.. The Ø is lovely! Troublesome sometimes, but still nice. And of course, the Å and Æ.

Haha, kind of. Oh dear.. Already light outside.

I didn't see the finale, but I can imagine it was facepalmable. I actually felt a little embarassed myself, as an native English speaker, when that was on, heh.

You can sort of hear the Norwegian in Faroese, but maybe I'm just imagining it though. I like it a lot, it just looks nice and it's way older than ö, haha. It's such a shame that English doesn't have Æ anymore except in older sideformer.

The sun coming up pretty much serves as my go-to-sleep alarm clock now. Maybe I'm turning into a vampire - hopefully I won't start sparkling :biggrin: . I hate insomnia.
Reply 252
I don't know Norwegen but I learnt a bit of swedish which may come in useful...

"Du er et sort flicka."

I think. Something like that.

"Ja álska dag."
Reply 253
Original post by Einheri
Except for Americans; "Oh yeeeah, my great grandaddy's uncle's half-brother's nephew's step-mother's pet goldfish was from Norway; that makes me Norwegian-American!" Haha.

Sorry for butting in, but this is very true.

That is all.
I might have more to contribute in a year.
Reply 254
Original post by noobynoo
I don't know Norwegen but I learnt a bit of swedish which may come in useful...

"Du er et sort flicka."

I think. Something like that.

"Ja álska dag."

"You are a black girl" Are you sure that's what you mean (that or the word "sort" means something else in Swedish)? Cute perhaps? In Norwegian that would be "Du er ei/en søt jente/pike".

"Jeg elsker deg"/"eg elskar deg" in Bokmål and Nynorsk respectively.
Reply 255
Original post by Einheri
"You are a black girl" Are you sure that's what you mean (that or the word "sort" means something else in Swedish)? Cute perhaps? In Norwegian that would be "Du er ei/en søt jente/pike".

"Jeg elsker deg"/"eg elskar deg" in Bokmål and Nynorsk respectively.

I think he means söt - sweet, pretty and Jag älskar dig respectively. Sorry for breaking in.
Reply 257
Original post by tenhornedbeast
I think he means söt - sweet, pretty and Jag älskar dig respectively. Sorry for breaking in.

Wasn't that what I said? "Du er ei søt jente" means you are a pretty/cute/sweet girl, and "Jeg elsker deg" means I love you. I just wrote it into Norwegian not Swedish.
Reply 258
Original post by Luceria
Ooh :awesome:

Actually just looked at the recipe a bit more and they are savoury...meant to be a bread replacement? Hmmm...skeptical but may try!
Reply 259
Original post by Becca
Actually just looked at the recipe a bit more and they are savoury...meant to be a bread replacement? Hmmm...skeptical but may try!

Savoury pancakes are very nice, I imagine they'd taste similar. I had meatball and cheese pancakes with bolognese sauce on holiday once (I think it was in Tunisia, but I can't remember) they were soooo goood!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending