The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 4(6BIO4) 13/06/11 - OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medtobe
transffered to midnight??
y?

there was a hortal Strike) till 6PM, so the morning session exam was at 7:30 PM and afternoon session was at midnight.
Reply 521
Original post by daughterofaprince
there was a hortal Strike) till 6PM, so the morning session exam was at 7:30 PM and afternoon session was at midnight.

so will you all being getting special consideration.

considering you all would have been really sleepy.
Original post by medtobe
so will you all being getting special consideration.

considering you all would have been really sleepy.

i really hope so but my friends find the question very easy. when i thought it was mind burgling.
Im the same, I need a for a medicine offer and really thought this would be a does paper, couldn't understand why there were so many marks for the succession question as there were a limited number of things you could say I just talked about species preparing the habitat for later waves and increasing niche numbers, biodiversity and the dominant species but I could only think of two main things for the climax community question. My main critisism of the exam is the poor choice of data for data analysis questions as it wasn't clear what the solution was, and the lack of biology knowledge required, I'm failing to see why I bothered to turn up to hours of lessons on immunity and photosynthesis. But hey Ho. And yeah for the data questions I looked at the percentage decreases in dry mass across the temperatures, the bottom had the lowest overall decrease so I said that was best adapted to changing temp and therefore latitudes, I also said that the prescription was achievable if the rate of decrease in the next 6 years matched the first six but the rate had been slowing so this may indicate that it will continue to fall making the Target harder to reach. But there was no strong trend in the data. Equally with the seaweed I could only asume that the top one was top of shore becase required equal light from all wavelengths and the red was lowest point as there was little red compared to green, but the blue value was confusing as I would expect it o be higher? Anyway let me know what you think or thought of the exam, I just don't really know what to expect for the next one now!

Em x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 524
Original post by medtobe
how was the paper?
which Qs did you all find hard?

I thought it was a hard paper overall. Apart from a couple of straightforward questions on describing secession and gel electrophoresis! :P

Even some of the multiple choice ones were sneaky:
Which of these methods are used to measure climate change?
Amniocentesis (no)
Dendrochronolgy (yes)
Peat bog analysis (yes)
Potassium-Argon sampling (no - but is these even mentioned in the syllabus/texts/revision guide? I had to Google it after I got home?!)

Rushed a bit towards the end so seaweed question was a bit of a blur. :smile:
Is UMS worked out nationally or internationally ?
Original post by medtobe
gt 277 messed up unit 3 getting 42 and lossing my marks there :frown:

If I miss the offer :angry:
gt chem 4 tomorrow.

what other Qs did you find hard?

I got the fibrous protein and globular protein question completely wrong

I don't even want to contemplate how I would feel if I missed my offer.

Good luck for chem 4.

What do people think the grade boundaries will be? Similar to Jan 11 or..?
(edited 12 years ago)
Guys talk in this thread. So if there is any discussion, nobody misses out on it if they are not on this thread.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1676443
Original post by High As A Kite
Is UMS worked out nationally or internationally ?

i think it is done internationally:rolleyes:
Reply 529
In the antibiotics question I said that the antibiotics are given after the patient asks for them (lots of them just feel safer with a prescription antibiotic) and that the doctor may give them "just-in-case". I know it sounds like a silly answer, but since the rest of the question was about reducing needless antibiotic prescriptions it may be reasonable. It is true though that patients often ask for antibiotics from their doctors. =/
hey everyone best of luck for unit 4 chemistry tomorrow. hope everyone will rock and row this time
Someone tell me that there wasn't that question 3 mentioned in the first post :/
Reply 532
Original post by daughterofaprince
hey everyone best of luck for unit 4 chemistry tomorrow. hope everyone will rock and row this time

did you do the unit 4s in jan? if so what did you get?
Reply 533
"Doctors cite diagnostic uncertainty, time pressure on physicians, and patient demand as the primary reasons why antibiotics are over-prescribed."
Reply 534
Original post by Petros93
In the antibiotics question I said that the antibiotics are given after the patient asks for them (lots of them just feel safer with a prescription antibiotic) and that the doctor may give them "just-in-case". I know it sounds like a silly answer, but since the rest of the question was about reducing needless antibiotic prescriptions it may be reasonable. It is true though that patients often ask for antibiotics from their doctors. =/

Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
I got the fibrous protein and globular protein question completely wrong

I don't even want to contemplate how I would feel if I missed my offer.

Good luck for chem 4.

What do people think the grade boundaries will be? Similar to Jan 11 or..?

similar what do you think?
Original post by emilyflorence
Im the same, I need a for a medicine offer and really thought this would be a does paper, couldn't understand why there were so many marks for the succession question as there were a limited number of things you could say I just talked about species preparing the habitat for later waves and increasing niche numbers, biodiversity and the dominant species but I could only think of two main things for the climax community question. My main critisism of the exam is the poor choice of data for data analysis questions as it wasn't clear what the solution was, and the lack of biology knowledge required, I'm failing to see why I bothered to turn up to hours of lessons on immunity and photosynthesis. But hey Ho. And yeah for the data questions I looked at the percentage decreases in dry mass across the temperatures, the bottom had the lowest overall decrease so I said that was best adapted to changing temp and therefore latitudes, I also said that the prescription was achievable if the rate of decrease in the next 6 years matched the first six but the rate had been slowing so this may indicate that it will continue to fall making the Target harder to reach. But there was no strong trend in the data. Equally with the seaweed I could only asume that the top one was top of shore becase required equal light from all wavelengths and the red was lowest point as there was little red compared to green, but the blue value was confusing as I would expect it o be higher? Anyway let me know what you think or thought of the exam, I just don't really know what to expect for the next one now!

Em x

fr antibiotics I wrote, it will stop any bacterial infections so that the immune sytem can concentrate on killing the virus, also mentioned tht some viruses might use bacteria fr their reproduction,

my answer seems really foolish, :frown:
did anyone put bog sledge or whatever (bottom one) as the better species for different latitudes?

also for the question near the beginning saying "how would you display the info in the tables" did you just mention graphs?

and for fibros vs globular i wrote 1. fibrous are long and bound into a rope shape whereas globular are round and 2. fibrous are insolube and vice versa... this right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 536
LOOL the 6 marks question about why scientist doesnt agree reducing consumption of fossil fuel will reduce global warming was my only obstacle,

All i talked about was cloud formation and solar flares, but i couldnt talk much about,

Overall the paper was good, because I HATE IMMUNITY AND NONE CAME OUT.

The first question scared me, I was like what the hell, I cant remember any methaphase anaphase telophase blah blha, but then my teachers acrynoyms reminded my PMAT i wa sso glad.
Reply 537
Original post by bertstare
did anyone put bog sledge or whatever (bottom one) as the better species for different latitudes?

also for the question near the beginning saying "how would you display the info in the tables" did you just mention graphs?

and for fibros vs globular i wrote 1. fibrous are long and bound into a rope shape whereas globular are round and 2. fibrous are insolube and vice versa... this right?

why bog sedge?
Original post by medtobe
why bog sedge?

because the difference in growth (proportionally) between 10 degrees and 20 or whatever it was, was less than the difference in growth for the other plant between 10 and 20. ie on average there was less variation so i thought it grew better across range of temps. probs wrong though
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 539
Original post by bertstare

I put sea plantain becuase the further you are from the equator, the colder it gets and for sea plaintain at this temperature at each day, it mean dry mass always increased and i quoted some data from the table :biggrin:

I mentioned as a percentage, graphs, statistical test

I couldnt do the diffrence only 2 marks, I put fibrous protein relax and contract whereas globular (enzyme) speed up rate of reaction
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending