The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nator
Just booked it for the 3rd, and yeah thought of the exact same thing, school starts on the 5th :cool:

we are taking it on the same day!!!
Original post by Scarface-Don
maybe 2706 ? because 201+301+401+501+601=2005
so the next number: 201+301+501+601+701=2706
Forgive me if im completely wrong lool

credit, you've done more than i would

apparently, they mean

like 300 301 302

it's unfair, because i have 5 answers on a multiple choice i didn't write out
Original post by Nator
Also where you getting these questions from mate?

maths challenge past ppaers from 1997-2006 junior/senior/intermediate
Original post by Scarface-Don
maybe 2706 ? because 201+301+401+501+601=2005
so the next number: 201+301+501+601+701=2706
Forgive me if im completely wrong lool

What is the value of 2^10 - 10^2
Reply 4144
Original post by anonnymous
we are taking it on the same day!!!

Awesome :smile:
Reply 4145
Original post by Limitless
Anybody started their personal statement yet?

I have started and finished it, but i work full time and applying for grad entry - needed to get it out of the way! ill tweak and so forth over the summer! I've written 3 statements! :<.
Reply 4146
Original post by JChoudhry
Oh haha :laugh:

I used to live in NYC (Manhattan). Family things brought me to London lol. Actually, that's exactly what my area is like :p:

You're american? :teeth: Do you have the accent?

Oh man, so cool. Wish I was american :daydreaming:

I don't suppose you've started writing your PS, by any chance? I'm too scared :colondollar: I've just bulletpointed EVERYTHING I've ever done concerning medicine.
Reply 4147
Original post by roar558
Sat the Bmat last year, it's not too bad. The first section is essentially a condensed version of the ukcat, the second section is a mix of reasonably easy science and maths questions and the final section is just a discursive essay.

Yeah, I'm not gonna do it. Haha, it's bad enough to do the ukcat.

Original post by Nator
Haha kool :biggrin: Well I just started one without any prep and it seems impossible :eek: And the BMAT is hard as well (especially section 1) but I'm really liking the section 2 :biggrin:

Good, keep it up.:thumbsup:
Reply 4148
Original post by sablarrr
Good, keep it up.:thumbsup:

Original post by sablarrr
Yeah, I'm not gonna do it. Haha, it's bad enough to do the ukcat.

Not going to do it this year either, going with all Scottish unis instead.
Original post by Nator
Just downloaded the UKCAT practice test from the website and it is hard :eek: Surely the BMAT is easier than the UKCAT? Anyone agree?

Definitely agree, with BMAT I have some idea of whether I'm doing well or not, and when I start revising the S2 stuff, that should be fine. UKCAT, I don't even know what to do about it.
Original post by oHellno
Definitely agree, with BMAT I have some idea of whether I'm doing well or not, and when I start revising the S2 stuff, that should be fine. UKCAT, I don't even know what to do about it.

I've not revised for the BMAT S2

the ukcat = section 1 basically

how do you propose to revise for it?(will you read all the double award stuff?)

Guys, here's an idea, like the revision thread , what if we post a check list of stuff un-related to actual exams, but related to ukcat, bmat, ps, and voluntary?

TO DO LIST:

> Put 4-5 letters in envelopes, and adress them to hospital GP surgeries.
> Ring around 3-5 nursing homes today, and re-hearse the need to volunteer
> Tell the headmaster to the saturday school itaught kids at, that i'm busy/have already long asked to be replaced
> Do two questions from quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning, descision analysis, and, try to learn techniques for abstract reasoning
> Do one BMAT essay,to improve english and punctuation
> Start to, (though i have no work experience), sort out my PS, write what i can, bullet point some more, adapt it, and make room for W/E
> Practise verbal, and communication skills
> do a bit of exercise(10 mins worth as i have not done so in ages)
(edited 12 years ago)

I haven't revised much of it either. Chemistry and Maths I don't need to go over too much, but I really need to go over GCSE Biology, and Physics. I might just use bitesize lol, seeing as they cover most exam boards.
Reply 4153

Guys, here's an idea, like the revision thread , what if we post a check list of stuff un-related to actual exams, but related to ukcat, bmat, ps, and voluntary?

TO DO LIST:

> Put 4-5 letters in envelopes, and adress them to hospital GP surgeries.
> Ring around 3-5 nursing homes today, and re-hearse the need to volunteer
> Tell the headmaster to the saturday school itaught kids at, that i'm busy/have already long asked to be replaced
> Do two questions from quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning, descision analysis, and, try to learn techniques for abstract reasoning
> Do one BMAT essay,to improve english and punctuation
> Start to, (though i have no work experience), sort out my PS, write what i can, bullet point some more, adapt it, and make room for W/E
> Practise verbal, and communication skills
> do a bit of exercise(10 mins worth as i have not done so in ages)

You think the UKCAT is section 1 of the BMAT? I haven't looked over section 1 yet but it's by far the hardest of the 3. I thought I would be good at QR since it's rapid maths, but the questions are so twisted I don't get the context. AR is the easiest of the 4 (which I thought would be the hardest). And good idea for the to do list :tongue: On it, I: have sorted 2 weeks in the Summer of GP work experience, 2 voluntary homes, already done 2 weeks hospital, will start UKCAT prep. after I finish S2 BMAT (almost done), will sort out PS in the Summer (got loads of material for that so shouldn't be a problem), and I like to speak to people so like interviews generally :biggrin: Exercise I already do everyday too :smile:
Original post by Nator
You think the UKCAT is section 1 of the BMAT? I haven't looked over section 1 yet but it's by far the hardest of the 3. I thought I would be good at QR since it's rapid maths, but the questions are so twisted I don't get the context. AR is the easiest of the 4 (which I thought would be the hardest). And good idea for the to do list :tongue: On it, I: have sorted 2 weeks in the Summer of GP work experience, 2 voluntary homes, already done 2 weeks hospital, will start UKCAT prep. after I finish S2 BMAT (almost done), will sort out PS in the Summer (got loads of material for that so shouldn't be a problem), and I like to speak to people so like interviews generally :biggrin: Exercise I already do everyday too :smile:

Awsome!:smile:

yeah, when i started the QR, i bareley could do any, because it has SO much info to take in,and so many calculations to do, ect

=/ i can't even do abstract, any tips for me?:smile:

there are rare occasions when i go ' hey i've got it!' but 90% i don't get it

my plan is to begin BMAT prep after ukcat , because i find the BMAT harder/they link ish
Reply 4155
Also that's a load of bs what they say, that BMAT S2 is all GCSE knowledge lol, have seen a lot of AS Physics there :laugh:
Reply 4156

yeah, when i started the QR, i bareley could do any, because it has SO much info to take in,and so many calculations to do, ect

my plan is to begin BMAT prep after ukcat , because i find the BMAT harder/they link ish

Yeah exactly, and seeing that annoying timer beat you aha :rolleyes:
And tips for AR, firstly look at the 600Q book and read all their possible outcomes, usually all the possibilities are bound by their range :wink: Look at both sets at the same time, they have an opposite relationship so you have a better chance of detecting a pattern :wink:

And fair enough, I'm just starting it early because the timing is just haha, 30 mins for 27 questions :redface:
Reply 4157

Also my friend done the BMAT and got 7.5, 9.0, 15 (equivalent of a 5A), and he told me during his time they asked him about the photoelectric effect in Physics :laugh: Which is not GCSE I'm sure, and his subjects matched mine so he knew it since he was AS Physics, so much depends on luck on the day on that part
Original post by Nator
Yeah exactly, and seeing that annoying timer beat you aha :rolleyes:
And tips for AR, firstly look at the 600Q book and read all their possible outcomes, usually all the possibilities are bound by their range :wink: Look at both sets at the same time, they have an opposite relationship so you have a better chance of detecting a pattern :wink:

And fair enough, I'm just starting it early because the timing is just haha, 30 mins for 27 questions :redface:

i think what we need is speed. but before we can get that speed, i'm going slowly over the questions, understanding what kind of mind-set we need

you're spot on. i've done a/s physics, and the BMAT is DEFINITLEY got a/s physics in there.

not that much, but some elements that you can learn =)

i suck at physics ^^
Original post by Nator
Also my friend done the BMAT and got 7.5, 9.0, 15 (equivalent of a 5A), and he told me during his time they asked him about the photoelectric effect in Physics :laugh: Which is not GCSE I'm sure, and his subjects matched mine so he knew it since he was AS Physics, so much depends on luck on the day on that part

if anyone on this forum gets those BMAT, i'd say unless they mess up interview, they are garuenteed a place

did he give you tips for how to approach questions?

Latest