The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3420
Reply 3423
Original post by anhbui
I think i pretty much just made up my own answers and i wrote a massive essay on why we shouldn't kill hedgehogs i put they have family to care for. WTF!!!

family to care for haha legend!
Original post by anhbui
I think i pretty much just made up my own answers and i wrote a massive essay on why we shouldn't kill hedgehogs i put they have family to care for. WTF!!!

I laughed so much at 'they have a family to care for'. Just to confirm I'm not laughing AT you, it's just the fact this shows what type of exam this really was and we actually have to write answers like that. NOTHING biological. My life is over.
having gone through the paper...I reckon I got at least 40/100

which given I was banging out 60+ in jan 2011/june 2010....is just a teeny tiny bit depressing....

any idea what 40 marks would be in this paper as in the jan 2011 it would be a high E....which would kill me
Reply 3426
Original post by anhbui

Don't take me, I have a wife and kids :cry2:

:biggrin:
Original post by anhbui

yeah I also wrote a massiveeeeee essay :frown:(
Reply 3428
Original post by Sam6066
Just had an epic rant to OCR:

Dear OCR,

Though I suspect that sending this email is a futile endeavour, I feel compelled to do so in order to express my intense dissatisfaction with today's F215 'Biology' paper.

My chief issue pertains to the ecology sections of the exam, which were extensive. Indeed, copious portions of the paper were dedicated to the matter, both at its beginning and near its end. This seems incredibly disproportional when viewed in the context of OCR's quite broad syllabus. Admittedly, it would be an impossibility to incorporate every topic into an exam such as F215; the number of marks available simply do not allow for it. However, today's paper was overly unreasonable in this regard, allocating only a handful of marks to module 2 in particular.

This overemphasis on ecology can be, to a great extent, linked to what was a far larger flaw of the exam: its astonishing level of non-biological questions. Now, I for one am all for application of knowledge; this places a cap on regurgitation and lends better candidates an opportunity to convey their biological prowess. Having said this, it seems completely illogical to equip candidates with two years of intricate biological knowledge, only to pose exam questions that do not require it. The seaweed-eating goats, troublesome hedgehogs and antic ladybirds were just a few examples of this being done in F215 . These questions simply did not necessitate a detailed biological knowledge; in fact (with the exception of exam technique), it could be contended that a biology student is no better equipped to answer such generic questions than the average layman. Surely, only students of biology should be capable of correctly answering questions in a biology exam. Otherwise, it simply becomes a test of logic, deductive reasoning and exam technique, rather than what it should be: biology. It seems a gross injustice to hard-working candidates, to nullify their efforts in this way, placing them on the same playing field as candidates who have never set eyes on an OCR biology textbook.

I readily acknowledge that the paper was not blighted entirely by these issues. Some questions seemed fair and reasonable. However, this cannot justify the significant remainder of the paper's content, which can only be described as heinous.

I would appreciate any response to these concerns,

Your disgruntled candidate,

??? ??????? :angry:

Perfect!! Please just forward this message to the BBC, OCR cannot ignore media attention. I have sent my complaints to both.

Kris
I feel this exam favoured people who hadnt done much revision to still excel and there were too many places those who'd worked hard could fall down. It was a totally unfair representation of a candidates effort and biological knowledge and I feel the weeks of just doing biology made me no better prepared for that exam and it has certainly cost me my wanted grade =|

Everyone keeps posting this but it's from 2010... :rolleyes:
Reply 3433
I worked out what i think i got at about 70, marking quite harshly but it could be +/- about five, assuming i have similar marking points to ocr. I need 113 ums or i miss the grade for medical school. What do people think my chances are?
Original post by Sereni
I worked out what i think i got at about 70, marking quite harshly but it could be +/- about five, assuming i have similar marking points to ocr. I need 113 ums or i miss the grade for medical school. What do people think my chances are?

That will most likely be a solid A if not A*. well done!
I've flopped my offer for med school - got a lot worse than you.
Reply 3435
I think it was a hard exam, so much ecology bs and not enough real biology, but I think i got around 75ish....any ideas how many UMS this will be?
Reply 3436
Original post by englishman129
That will most likely be a solid A if not A*. well done!
I've flopped my offer for med school - got a lot worse than you.

Unlucky.. I did assume that they would mark it in a particular way and assumed i got marks on at lest most of the questions- biggest bistake was probs 'ribose nucleic acid' but i may have dropped more marks than i thought. Now we need to move on, if i get A in maths chem nd physics there might be room for negosiation of my offer
Reply 3437
Original post by sillysal

Original post by sillysal
I laughed so much at 'they have a family to care for'. Just to confirm I'm not laughing AT you, it's just the fact this shows what type of exam this really was and we actually have to write answers like that. NOTHING biological. My life is over.

haha i don't really mind if you were, i laughed at myself for putting that as well. It shows how desperate i was in that exam :')
Original post by anhbui

i wrote natural selection and mutation... what the hell.. everyone's so confused.
Original post by bangla_man
i wrote natural selection and mutation... what the hell.. everyone's so confused.

They were two seperate questions. Mutation and Natural Selection were the right answers (I think) for the question about how sheep evolved to be able to eat seaweed. The other question was 'comment on the ethical issues involved with killing hedgehogs'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending