The Student Room Group

OCR B Salters - F335 Exam - 15 June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Are the reaction conditions for diazotisation < 5°C, NaNO2, HCl and phenylamine?

Then this can couple with phenylamine or phenol which is electrophillic substitution?
Original post by JackWoot

Are the reaction conditions for diazotisation &lt; 5°C, NaNO2, HCl and phenylamine?

Then this can couple with phenylamine or phenol which is electrophillic substitution?

Diazotisation is with dilute HCl.

Do you know the conditions for the coupling reraction?
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Diazotisation is with dilute HCl.

Do you know the conditions for the coupling reraction?

Kept below 10C to prevent a phenol forming. Also, the reagents have to be created in situ as they are very volatile and would otherwise bugger off and now work.

Also, when you couple the diazonium salt with the phenol, has to be done over iceee.
Original post by ABCDemily
Kept below 10C to prevent a phenol forming. Also, the reagents have to be created in situ as they are very volatile and would otherwise bugger off and now work.

Also, when you couple the diazonium salt with the phenol, has to be done over iceee.

Is it not also < 5C? I remember that being in a mark scheme. Also it said alkaline conditions. However I can't find that in the revision book.
Reply 204
Original post by pav
won't a good colourfast dye be the one that forms covalent bonds? ( since that is the strongest bond )

yep they're fibre reactive dyes which are the most permanent type of dye as they form strong covalent bonds.. the one i said before also has a strong colourfast bt yea the covalent bond one will be stronger so an even better colourfast than that
Reply 205
when arenes undergo electrophilic substitution for example the nitronium ions, the process in the cgp book is explained in three simple steps:
-nitronium ion attacks benzene
-an unstable intermediate is formed
-H+ ion is lost

how can I elaborate on that to get a better answer that if needed to can get me more marks? cz thats abit too simple to write the exam right?
Original post by pearlover
when arenes undergo electrophilic substitution for example the nitronium ions, the process in the cgp book is explained in three simple steps:
-nitronium ion attacks benzene
-an unstable intermediate is formed
-H+ ion is lost

how can I elaborate on that to get a better answer that if needed to can get me more marks? cz thats abit too simple to write the exam right?

nitronium ion attacks electron rich benzene, and the H+ ion is lost in order to regain the delocalised system and restore it's original stability.
Reply 207
can anyone exaplian why CH2(COOH)-C(OH)(COOH)-CH2(COOH) has proton environments in the ration 1:4:3. is there a symmetry here?

Also, if the question says that 15g of ethanol produced 10.6 of pure ethanal. what is the percentage yield of ethanal? why is the answer 73.9%??
Original post by pav
can anyone exaplian why CH2(COOH)-C(OH)(COOH)-CH2(COOH) has proton environments in the ration 1:4:3. is there a symmetry here?

Also, if the question says that 15g of ethanol produced 10.6g of pure ethanal. what is the percentage yield of ethanal? why is the answer 73.9%??

Well I can answer the second Q, CH3CH2OH ----> CH3CHO + H2

So 1 mole of ethanol makes 1 mole of ethanal because of the stoichiometry.

moles of ethanol = 15/46 = 0.326

0.326 * 44 (Mr of ethanal) = 14.344g

10.6/14.344 * 100 = 73.9%

Hope that makes sense
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 209
Original post by pav

Also, if the question says that 15g of ethanol produced 10.6 of pure ethanal. what is the percentage yield of ethanal? why is the answer 73.9%??

For the percentage yield question the mr of ehanol is 46 and the mr of ethanal is 44. The question says that 15g of ETHANOL produced 10.6g of ETHANAL. so you divide the mr of ethanal by that of ethanol and times by 15. So:

44/46*15=14.34782609g this is the maximum amount of ethanal that can be produced from 15g of ethanol. So you then do 10.6/14.34782609*100=73.9% to 1dp.
:biggrin: Hope it helps.
Reply 210
Original post by pav

For the nmr one, I would have thought there are 4 different proton environments in the ratio 1:4:2:1 :s-smilie:
Do we need to know about calculating solubilities, I know Kow isn't in the specification, are the solubility questions related to that so they are also no longer included?
Reply 212
Original post by MyJunkIsYou
Do we need to know about calculating solubilities, I know Kow isn't in the specification, are the solubility questions related to that so they are also no longer included?

No we dont need to know about calculating solubilities. Its not in the spec anymore.
Reply 213
Right at the beginning of AI in the revision book (the salters one not the cgp one) it says
'you need to be aware of risks/benefits of a given chemical process in terms of hazards associated with raw materials, reactants, prodcuts and by-products, explosions, acidic gases, flammable gases and toxic emissions (where appropriate).'
I don't think this has come up much before has it? I've done most of the past papers now and still dont really know what this is referring to in the exam :/
however i just got a motivation email from my teacher which made me smile :smile: simply said:
Becky
Keep up the good work
Alister
Original post by beckyxo
Right at the beginning of AI in the revision book (the salters one not the cgp one) it says
'you need to be aware of risks/benefits of a given chemical process in terms of hazards associated with raw materials, reactants, prodcuts and by-products, explosions, acidic gases, flammable gases and toxic emissions (where appropriate).'
I don't think this has come up much before has it? I've done most of the past papers now and still dont really know what this is referring to in the exam :/
however i just got a motivation email from my teacher which made me smile :smile: simply said:
Becky
Keep up the good work
Alister

Well I remember one question being "What is a safety hazard about this reaction". It produced nitric acid but you had to say it was 'corrosive/toxic' to get a mark.
Reply 215
Well I remember one question being "What is a safety hazard about this reaction". It produced nitric acid but you had to say it was 'corrosive/toxic' to get a mark.

oh, well thats easier than I thought haha
Reply 216
Well I can answer the second Q, CH3CH2OH ----> CH3CHO + H2

So 1 mole of ethanol makes 1 mole of ethanal because of the stoichiometry.

moles of ethanol = 15/46 = 0.326

0.326 * 44 (Mr of ethanal) = 14.344g

10.6/14.344 * 100 = 73.9%

Hope that makes sense

your brilliant!..Thanks a lot
Reply 217
Original post by zahre
For the nmr one, I would have thought there are 4 different proton environments in the ratio 1:4:2:1 :s-smilie:

that's what i thought too but apprently it's not. this question is from chemical ideas so im hoping it's a lot harder then what we would get in the exam, but there is no guarantee :frown:
Reply 218
...who else is dreading this exam? :tongue:
Reply 219
Original post by Boo!xx
...who else is dreading this exam? :tongue:

me! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending