The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Calumcalum
Ahh gotcha. Neuroscience is my best friend though :frown:

Would you like to make the idiots guide to the pathways for me then?
Original post by Lantana
Would you like to make the idiots guide to the pathways for me then?

I'm happy to help with that if I can! Neuroanatomy does take a while to learn though! Of course, there's always these... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTTQSynChY

But yeah, lemme know anything I can help with! :smile:
Original post by d123
There's very few things I hate more than people using religion to back up their bigoted views. I'm sorry, I want this thread to be a happy and supportive place where people can come in friendship, so I'm trying not to let what you're saying aggravate me, but I'm finding it very very difficult. Of course people have different interpretations of scripture, I know that very well, I just find views like yours very difficult.

So, God was joking when He made judgement unto Eve in Eden? The Apostles were wrong when they described in detail the submissive virtues of women? I do not understand how you can regard the Bible as the Word of God yet purposely overlook important elements.
Reply 4363
Original post by Alex-jc123
So, God was joking when He made judgement unto Eve in Eden? The Apostles were wrong when they described in detail the submissive virtues of women? I do not understand how you can regard the Bible as the Word of God yet purposely overlook important elements.

I believe both men and women have been shown to protect each other, and be the cause of each others downfall in the bible. Also how is it bad for men to protect women?
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm happy to help with that if I can! Neuroanatomy does take a while to learn though! Of course, there's always these... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTTQSynChY

But yeah, lemme know anything I can help with! :smile:

You may find this helpful: http://www.medicalmnemonics.com/

I find them helpful. I won't tell you the way I remember the crainal nerves though :tongue: the 'neruoanatomy illustrated colour text' is a really good book too. Part of my exam was the anatomy of the NS and I was so like uhhhhhhh so often, due to the rubbish weekend. This am's revis wasn't bad though! x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rainbowbex
You may find this helpful: http://www.medicalmnemonics.com/

I find them helpful. I won't tell you the way I remember the crainal nerves though :tongue: the 'neruoanatomy illustrated colour text' is a really good book too. Part of my exam was the anatomy of the NS and I was so like uhhhhhhh so often, due to the rubbish weekend. This am's revis wasn't bad though! x

Cranial nerve mnemonics always turn out obscene D: GOATFLAP (pituitary hormones) saved my life a few times though. I also recommend the neuroanatomy book :-)
Cranial nerve mnemonics always turn out obscene D: GOATFLAP (pituitary hormones) saved my life a few times though. I also recommend the neuroanatomy book :-)

My two aren't that bad. My brachial plexus one isn't brilliant. Very un-pc. but I'm never going to forget my mate blurting it out in first year anatomy (as his own invention!)

x

EDIT: and I've never thought about dong a mnenmonic of pituitart hormones they're so obvious to me, having been drilled in
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Core
I believe both men and women have been shown to protect each other, and be the cause of each others downfall in the bible. Also how is it bad for men to protect women?

I have not said that it is bad for men to protect women. I have said that this is the divine order which was clearly established by God in the scriptures - something which many females who are sensitive of their rights are keen to overlook.
Original post by Facticity
Well, when you got some love to give, let it out! (or so my mum always says) :awesome:

Well I hope you can get better or get some help (with results). Well the Christian Soc gives us a community so as long as you're not feeling alone its not too bad. Tbh the whole endeavour of life is to stop throwing God's love and grace back in His face, so I wouldn't get too down about it, seeing as its the common human slip-up. :smile:

As for the bit in bold, I guess I have a new mission then, eh? :biggrin:

:hugs:

Thank you everyone. I don't know how I come across posting here, but half. (If not more of the time) I'm not a very wEell put together woman,and I struggle, and fail at being christianness.

Nobody's perfect. The main thing is that you try to be a good Christian. It's by no means easy for any of us :hugs:

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Welcome back :hugs:

Big shout out to the awesome guy in the sky! Got my uni results, passed first year, and got high marks in my main subject! VERY VERY grateful! So massive thanks to Him, and a massive thanks for all you guys praying for me too!

:woo: :awesome: :danceboy: :woo:
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
Sure, I'd definitely say that God looks after us. But I really don't see how you're transferring that to women. The act of creation isn't what makes God want to protect us - He wants to protect us because He loves us. This isn't something that differentiates men and women.

About man 'leaving his father and mother', it's talking about how a man will leave his family and be united with his wife, and they will become 'one flesh', and be their own family unit. I really, really cannot see anything about protecting/leading in there, can you explain?

About rights - all I was responding to was this idea that relationships were fundamentally 'correct' between the genders before the 1950s. I don't see how anyone could think those times were times were the biblical view of womanhood prevailed.

The Bible clearly does teach that a woman should be submissive, and not a slave (as was essentially the case in Victorian times), but you're omitting the fact that men are also taught to submit. I do not see any reason to give different content to the woman's submission.

If we're talking about Eve, I don't think we can use the curses after the Fall as prescriptive. If we were, we might suggest that women ought not be allowed pain-relief during labour, or that work for men must be painful. Given everything else that's contained in those curses, it seems to me we ought to view them as descriptions, certainly not as pronouncements on what manhood and womanhood should be.

God loves men and women equally, yes, but 'equality' does not mean that they are the exact same in role and duties. 'Equality' is all about unity in diversity. For example, I'm sure you'll agree that all races are equal yet they are expected to perform different cultural functions as humans are such diverse creatures. If you reject what God said in Genesis then you reject the natural order of human beings, therefore meaning that you reject the the fact that homosexuality and sodomy are sins as they are in repugnance to this.

In Genesis 2:21, the word 'therefore' is used which is a term used to warn those hereafter against breaking the divine nature of marriage set in place by God. Whether you interpret Genesis as allegorical or not, the idea of marriage mentioned in chapter 3 is an imperative as a result of Eve's sin as the "curses" were not merely to punish humans, but to protect them against the rebellion of Satan which God had foreseen. Eve's desire in Eden was to the sinful promises of the Serpent, so God ensured that in future a wife's desires would be to her husband. Submission of a wive should be treated with love and care by a husband, not dominance. Men are taught to submit to their duty which is to protect and honour their wife.

Now, men are the natural guardians of women because Adam was what women were made from:

Corinthians

7"For a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man."
8 "For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man."
9 "Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man."

Men are thus trusted to look after women just like he is trusted to look after the other creatures and beings created "for the man". But this is not to be confused with some autocratic relationship which was evident in earlier times; many people have interpreted this principle in a very misogynistic way by using it to bolster their position over women without realising its contribution towards both love and God's pleasure.
Original post by Facticity
No problem! I understand about getting down on yourself but it doesn't help, if anything it makes things worse. But obviously we can cheer you up here :awesome:

I am back! :ahee:

Good to be back thanks! :hugs:

Glad to hear about that! :woo: You thoroughly deserved it. Prayers were no problem :smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hugs:

Nobody's perfect. The main thing is that you try to be a good Christian. It's by no means easy for any of us :hugs:

:woo: :awesome: :danceboy: :woo:

Woke up this morning VERY happy that I've passed first year, it means I can actually fail one module next year and still get into third year! (Not that I plan on failing, but still!)
Reply 4371

Genesis 3:16 was a description of how things were at the time it was written. Women were ruled over by their husbands, just as they experienced pain in childbirth, but neither of these need be the case. Or are women who have epidurals escaping God's judgement? What about men who don't spend their whole lives performing manual labour (Genesis 3:17-19)?

Jesus is the Word of God (John 1:14). The Bible was inspired by the Spirit, but the fact that it was written by humans means that it is bound to be affected by surrounding cultural understandings. The writers of the Bible lived in patriarchal times, and this bias is often reflected in its pages. That doesn't mean we need to perpetuate it.

Now, I understand this isn't the place to argue, and we don't have to agree with each other on this matter. But please accept that those who do not use the Bible to justify outdated cultural views about women are not purposely overlooking important elements - we respect the Bible and read it as God communicating with us, but we do so with an understanding of a living God who speaks in all times in ways that are meaningful to those who hear. We're lucky enough to live in a time where women are valued and respected enough to be able to choose their own paths, and are given the freedom to live out their lives for God in whichever way he and they see fit, and this can only ever be closer to an existence in which there is "no longer male and female", for all of us are "one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28).

EDIT: I thought the Christian Society was above negging people over disagreements. : (
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4372

Well, the simple answer is that I don't, or at least, not in the way that you mean it.
FREEEEEEEEEDDDOOOOOOOOMMMM.

I am feeling very, very, free right now.

I FINISHED SECOND YEAR??!?!?!?! (pending results)

What shall I do today? (other than shower, which y'all would deem necessary if you saw how much may hair was defying gravity right now!)
Reply 4374
Welcome back :hugs:

Big shout out to the awesome guy in the sky! Got my uni results, passed first year, and got high marks in my main subject! VERY VERY grateful! So massive thanks to Him, and a massive thanks for all you guys praying for me too!

Although the power of prayer is awesome, I think you need to give yourself a 'pat on the back' too. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...or in other words...without your hard work and ability, the Lord would have had to work at least twice as hard to facilitate a miracle. :biggrin:
FREEEEEEEEEDDDOOOOOOOOMMMM.

I am feeling very, very, free right now.

I FINISHED SECOND YEAR??!?!?!?! (pending results)

What shall I do today? (other than shower, which y'all would deem necessary if you saw how much may hair was defying gravity right now!)

Eat ice cream and enjoy the sunshine (if you are lacking sunshine, come to cambridge, tis sunny sunny sunny!)

Original post by yawn
Although the power of prayer is awesome, I think you need to give yourself a 'pat on the back' too. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...or in other words...without your hard work and ability, the Lord would have had to work at least twice as hard to facilitate a miracle. :biggrin:

Ha ha thanks, but without power of prayer and knowing God doesn't care if I fail, He'll love me anyway, I'd have been way too stressed and failed!
Reply 4376
Hi all, by the way. XP Have been a bit of a lurker recently - my health's been pretty terrible and term is starting to get to me. Ah, why do I do this to myself?

Glad to hear people are finishing up and getting good results. : ) Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine!
Congratulations to all of those that have passed or have just recently completed their exams (green and raindow).

So far, I've completed 2/6 exams, with my third one being tomorrow.
Original post by marille
Hi all, by the way. XP Have been a bit of a lurker recently - my health's been pretty terrible and term is starting to get to me. Ah, why do I do this to myself?

Glad to hear people are finishing up and getting good results. : ) Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine!

Oh dear. :s

Insha'allah you regain your health. Got exams?
Original post by Tzarchasm
Congratulations to all of those that have passed or have just recently completed their exams (green and raindow).

So far, I've completed 2/6 exams, with my third one being tomorrow.

Thank you! mine have been spaced weirdly because with my degree we start second year's teaching at the end of first year. So had the first of the exams this time last year, two and three after christmas, four after easter, and five and six over this weekend.

I'm starting clinical in just over two months :biggrin: :biggrin: And I'm hoping to apply to volunteer at Greenbelt too :biggrin:

Eat ice cream and enjoy the sunshine (if you are lacking sunshine, come to cambridge, tis sunny sunny sunny!)

Ha ha thanks, but without power of prayer and knowing God doesn't care if I fail, He'll love me anyway, I'd have been way too stressed and failed!

It's sunny here, but I'm curled up and watching Doctor who. I just don't want to do ANYTHING today. My flatmate is moving out today, tomorrow I'm off to cardiff in the morning and then will return to cook dinner for me and a friend (what to have, what to have?) and thennn having coffee on thursday aftn with a friend, and then home on friday!
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending