The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

FML pretty much sums this exam up. I tried to be smart and read through the AS book the day before and I ended up writing Clonal Expansion :s-smilie: instead of Vegetative Propagation for the Elm question. For the last question I got 0.92 and 0.08 for the last question but put the answers on the wrong lines, knowing the w*****s at OCR they'll take two marks off for that. Now I've just done the worst thing possible by going over the paper.

OCR Chemistry tomorrow is going to be even worse.
Reply 3441
does anyone knw the grade boundrie for an A*???? :s-smilie: An A is around 70% (on the safe side) so would the A* b aroud 75-80? :s-smilie:
Why is everyone (particularly on that facebook page) getting so worked up about the hedgehog question? Obvious three marks lulz:

1. Animal welfare groups believe all life has value in its own right.
2. Man introduced the hedgehogs to the islands and killing them is a harsh way to undo a human mistake.
3. Killing the hedgehogs will effect biodiversity and potentially food webs of the area in an unforeseen way.
Original post by MoTheMedic
FML pretty much sums this exam up. I tried to be smart and read through the AS book the day before and I ended up writing Clonal Expansion :s-smilie: instead of Vegetative Propagation for the Elm question. For the last question I got 0.92 and 0.08 for the last question but put the answers on the wrong lines, knowing the w*****s at OCR they'll take two marks off for that. Now I've just done the worst thing possible by going over the paper.

OCR Chemistry tomorrow is going to be even worse.

I did the exact same! Don't worry, other people are lamenting missing out entire questions. Good luck with chemistry
Reply 3444
can anyone tell me how to do the hardy weinberg, its seriously bugging me. it was 50 ladybirds in 296 that have the recessive characteristic, if that helps?
Reply 3445
Original post by katie93
can anyone tell me how to do the hardy weinberg, its seriously bugging me. it was 50 ladybirds in 296 that have the recessive characteristic, if that helps?

I think you got it the wrong way round.
It was bb homozygous recessive for the red ladybirds (bb) and that was 296 of them.

so u do 296/ total(296+50 = 346)
296/346= q^2
q= root 0.855....
q=0.92 (2.d.p)
according to hardy weinberg quation p+q=1. therefore, p=1-q, so p = 0.08

p=0.08
q=0.92

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by heartskippedabeat
They were two seperate questions. Mutation and Natural Selection were the right answers (I think) for the question about how sheep evolved to be able to eat seaweed. The other question was 'comment on the ethical issues involved with killing hedgehogs'

I put mutation and natural selection for the seaweed question too but now I'm contemplating whether mutation is a process? I think the right answers were natural selection and evolution
Original post by sillysal
I put mutation and natural selection for the seaweed question too but now I'm contemplating whether mutation is a process? I think the right answers were natural selection and evolution

i think i put natural selection and species isolation. it seemed like a good answer at the time :s and i seemed to remember something in the text book about for a particular group in a species to develop a characteristic distinct from the rest of the species they had to be isolated?
Reply 3448
Original post by Mobs25
does anyone knw the grade boundrie for an A*???? :s-smilie: An A is around 70% (on the safe side) so would the A* b aroud 75-80? :s-smilie:

Grade Boundaries go up in about 6's. When the Boundary for an A was 65/100 in June 2010, the boundaries went down in 6's e.g. B was 59 C was 53 etc...

:biggrin:
Reply 3449

You were correct with Mutation and Natural Selection, mutation is definitely a process! Natural Selection and Evolution are pretty much the same thing, OCR often give you marks for either. :biggrin:
So this isn't the first times its happened, seems to be a trend....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8482880.stm
Original post by Mobs25

Don't you need above 90% overall UMS on A2 or something for the A* ?
Original post by Tetanus
You were correct with Mutation and Natural Selection, mutation is definitely a process! Natural Selection and Evolution are pretty much the same thing, OCR often give you marks for either. :biggrin:

how do you know for sure? But thanks, you've given me some hope!
Reply 3453
Original post by thepwince
Don't you need above 90% overall UMS on A2 or something for the A* ?

Yeah, 270/300 UMS. Savage.
Original post by intellectual1
i would rather not think of that :P but i can say it was not an easy paper, far too many questions involved no actual biology...some people who did'nt revise were very pleased with themselves:mad: my college has alot of people that do maths and sciences and i can definately say even the brightest minds found it difficult...i now wish i did physics at A2 rather than bio!

aww, dont worry about it, hopefully the grade boundaries will be low enough for us to get a good grade :wink:
Reply 3455
how do you know for sure? But thanks, you've given me some hope!

Natural Selection and Evolution could never take place if it wasn't for Mutation. How would any advantageous alleles ever come about? Eh? :poke:
Original post by Arab_Empress
aww, dont worry about it, hopefully the grade boundaries will be low enough for us to get a good grade :wink:

I am strongly considering A2 Further Maths, at least then Biology would seem less relevant...

F214 probably will involve the Calvin Cycle and Krebs Cycle - big question....
Reply 3457
Original post by Arab_Empress

No, you really don't. I've seen the course - Albert Einstein would be thinking what the hell during some of the topics.

And about the humus question - Anyone else get confused with the food? Join me in the embarrassed corner! :biggrin:
Yeah I said natural selection due to mutation and genetic drift :s
Reply 3459
Just wondering, has anyone had a response of BBC or OCR?
I've noticed the Facebook group has well over 3000 members, that is A LOT.

Quick Reply