The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3460
Original post by slacker07906
Yeah I said natural selection due to mutation and genetic drift :s

how many mark would you get for saying genetic drift and natural selection
Original post by lmfw
Just wondering, has anyone had a response of BBC or OCR?
I've noticed the Facebook group has well over 3000 members, that is A LOT.

Can you provide me with the link?

Is anyone going to call and complain (maturely) to OCR and explain what the problem was with the exam? We have the right to under the freedom's act. I just found the lack of topics covered in the exam the biggest issue. Telling them could alert OCR to the problem and hopefully lower GB or at least not do the same mistake again.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by intellectual1
I am strongly considering A2 Further Maths, at least then Biology would seem less relevant...

F214 probably will involve the Calvin Cycle and Krebs Cycle - big question....

no it won't....it'll probably have some crap about polar bears/camels and carnivorous mice
Original post by infernalcradle
no it won't....it'll probably have some crap about polar bears/camels and carnivorous mice

:rant:
I'm not sure if its already been brought up but, with regards to question 2 (b): Describe the advantages to animals of innate and learned behaviour, with reference to specific examples of each type of behaviour. Now is it me or does the examiner tip in the Heinemann book say: You should not try to learn the specific examples of each type of behaviour. Correct me if I'm mistaken because I don't actually have the book to hand with me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3466
Original post by JordanW92
I'm not sure if its already been brought up but, with regards to question 2 (b): Describe the advantages to animals of innate and learned behaviour, with reference to specific examples of each type of behaviour. Now is it me or does the examiner tip in the Heinemann book say: You should not try to learn the specific examples of each type of behaviour. Correct me if I'm mistaken because I don't actually have the book to hand with me.

Yes! You're right! the tip says to try not to learn lots of examples as exam questions will feature organisms that you have never heard of and it is important that you can identify the type of behaviour involved... or something along those lines... it's like OCR want us to be unable to answer the questions :tongue:
sent an email to OCR. If you wish to continue complain, don't unless you have expressed the issues in the paper by email to them. We on here cannot do anything to help you :smile:
Original post by TheDubs
No, you really don't. I've seen the course - Albert Einstein would be thinking what the hell during some of the topics.

And about the humus question - Anyone else get confused with the food? Join me in the embarrassed corner! :biggrin:

Probably because he's a physicist.
Original post by J00100
Yes! You're right! the tip says to try not to learn lots of examples as exam questions will feature organisms that you have never heard of and it is important that you can identify the type of behaviour involved... or something along those lines... it's like OCR want us to be unable to answer the questions :tongue:

Sorry for the double post. But I must answer this post!

I forgot to mention that in my email. Please do email OCR addressing that point and others :eek:
easiest.......exam..........ever. I rim Ecology!!!!!

Love from,

David McBay
Reply 3471
Did anyone sit the OCR General Studies paper today?? ... I used more of my biology revision to answer the general studies paper than the actual biology paper!!.. I was able to talk about golden rice, human insulin, gene therapy and all other genetic engineering stuff :frown:
Original post by sharpies93
easiest.......exam..........ever. I rim Ecology!!!!!

Love from,

David McBay

The biasedness was only towards ecologists, if that is you're strength that ob you would do well. However, maybe if this was an proper biology exam that expresses the broad spectrum of topics, you may not off. Like in my case.
Original post by Medifield
The biasedness was only towards ecologists, if that is you're strength that ob you would do well. However, maybe if this was an proper biology exam that expresses the broad spectrum of topics, you may not off. Like in my case.

ub
Reply 3474
Original post by sharpies93
Probably because he's a physicist.

Yeah those physicists, they always misunderstand physics.
Original post by TheDubs
Yeah those physicists, they always misunderstand physics.

ub
Reply 3476
Original post by The Creamhorn
Why is everyone (particularly on that facebook page) getting so worked up about the hedgehog question? Obvious three marks lulz:

1. Animal welfare groups believe all life has value in its own right.
2. Man introduced the hedgehogs to the islands and killing them is a harsh way to undo a human mistake.
3. Killing the hedgehogs will effect biodiversity and potentially food webs of the area in an unforeseen way.

Dunno, for me i didnt like it because those three marks could have been used on a decent question, i mean im pretty sure i nailed at least two of the marks because it will be AVP.
Reply 3477
Original post by thepwince
Don't you need above 90% overall UMS on A2 or something for the A* ?

yeh but i would assume because of the overall grade boundaries being low then the 90% would become lower... to something around 80% but ur right in most subject its always 90%+ (maths chem etc)... ocr didn't say the A* boundaries which other exam boards do.
Reply 3478
my predictions of the grade boundaries based on the difficulty of past papers..
A*- 69%
A - 62
B -54
C-47
D-40
E-35

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending