The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aodhán
We studied four topics; Weather and Climate, Tectonics, World Cities and Globalisation. Although we had a trainee teacher for the Weather and Climate section and she was pretty terrible and seeing as we only have to answer three, I'm discounting that in my revision. Globalisation and World Cities are somewhat easy to blag so if I revise enough of them and the case studies I'll get through it. It's just Tectonics that worries me as it's all pretty much factual and I don't really know any of the content. Most likely I'll do Globalisation for the 40 marker. My essay skills are alright in general due to History but I haven't been asked to hand in any for Geography since last year.

The only thing that reassures me is that I was in a similar situation last year, perhaps worse, and I managed to blag a B, still not sure how.

And yes, I'm doing GEOG4B on Friday. Comforting to know that I got a U in January :tongue:

Good luck to you too! I'm sure you'll be fine, and hopefully I will be too. My offer is BBB for International Relations, you?

I wish we had done tectonics! I'm in the same position for Globalisation, except he's a qualified teacher he just knew nothing about the topic as he'd done a physical degree and so was learning it whilst teaching it to us. Ahhh lucky the last timed essay I did was GCSE English haha and I have RSI so my wrist is gonna be dead after this exam.

I got an E LOL and have three days after tuesdays exam to prepare for that because its taken a backseat until last week when I actually read the pre release. :/ The thing is I thought I'd done okay in the Jan exam, stupid Belfast so I'm not bothering to do extensive background research except for the DFID one as it was a waste last time.

Thanks! BBB for Environmental Earth Sciences.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 1641
I wish I wasn't so indecisive about accommodation, I want to apply now but as there's not really any rush I'm trying not to think of it until after exams.

Although Edexcel and today's ridiulous history exam may jeopardise my chances anyway. :ashamed2:

Oh well... in 5 days all my exams will be over. My two A* potential exams on the same day and both are my most lengthy -___- *grumbles forever*
But then I can start thinking about accommodation :wink:
Original post by Frail
I wish I wasn't so indecisive about accommodation, I want to apply now but as there's not really any rush I'm trying not to think of it until after exams.

Although Edexcel and today's ridiulous history exam may jeopardise my chances anyway. :ashamed2:

Oh well... in 5 days all my exams will be over. My two A* potential exams on the same day and both are my most lengthy -___- *grumbles forever*

EVERYONE I know (and the insanely clever people on TSR) are complaining about the History exam- was it the source one? I'm sure the grade boundaries will be low and you'll be ok! :hugs: :console:
Original post by Frail

aqa?
Reply 1644
Original post by diamonddust
EVERYONE I know (and the insanely clever people on TSR) are complaining about the History exam- was it the source one? I'm sure the grade boundaries will be low and you'll be ok! :hugs: :console:

It was indeed. The sources were ridiculous and I just never want to hear about American history ever again ><
But thank you! :hugs:

Original post by High As A Kite
aqa?

Edexcel :smile:
Although I'm pretty sure I'm just cursed with them when it comes to exams.

Just hoping my C/A/A* for the AS and coursework will help boost it ><
When I did my A Levels there was a ridiculously difficult history paper with an incredibly annoyingly-worded question. Everyone came out of it complaining, the history teachers made complaints about it and we were all convinced it would make us not get our grades. I don't know whether they lowered the grade boundaries or what, but it turned out to be most of the people in my school's best history mark. Seriously, don't make yourself worry about it, there's nothing you can do about it now. Plus (from anecdotal evidence), UEA are fairly lenient about letting people in who maybe don't quite meet their offers.

Also, this time next week I won't be here any more :frown: I'm going to miss Britten.
Reply 1646
Original post by Frail
It was indeed. The sources were ridiculous and I just never want to hear about American history ever again ><
But thank you! :hugs:

Edexcel :smile:
Although I'm pretty sure I'm just cursed with them when it comes to exams.

Just hoping my C/A/A* for the AS and coursework will help boost it ><

I had the Edexcel paper too and I'm worried, wasn't happy about the Part B sources or A (Weimar) spanning such a long period! Hopefully we'll be fine!? :smile:
Original post by diamonddust

Just quoting this post so you know this is aimed at you:
Was talking to someone who works in the Childrens Services department at Harringey Council- needless to say they still seem as much of a shambles as they did after the whole Baby P thing.

And to those who just had a History exam, I did the AQA A2 paper on The Tudors last year, and my gosh it was hard- I thought as we only had one exam I wouldn't have so much to revise, but the ammount of information I needed to know seemed equilavent to 2 units worth, so I can sympathise. Everyone in my class came out saying how hard the paper was- the questions were just uncessarily long winded.
Original post by zae2yaya
I know we have to sign up for the shuttle service from Norwich airport to UEA but do you, by any chance, know what times the shuttle usually arrives at and leaves the airport?
I just bought my plane ticket and my flight is scheduled to arrive at 4:30pm, and I know the offices will be open till 8pm during the international arrival days, but will the shuttles run that late too?

Thanks!

You would be best off contacting the International Office here at the UEA about that. It's them that organise the shuttle buses. I know there are several during the day but I'm not sure what times they go.

I can confirm however that you will be able to collect your keys after you get here, even if it's after 8pm. All the keys during arrival week go to the main security lodge on campus after the offices close. We normally have a few members of staff stationed there until midnight too.
Reply 1649
Original post by UEAAccommodation
You would be best off contacting the International Office here at the UEA about that. It's them that organise the shuttle buses. I know there are several during the day but I'm not sure what times they go.

I can confirm however that you will be able to collect your keys after you get here, even if it's after 8pm. All the keys during arrival week go to the main security lodge on campus after the offices close. We normally have a few members of staff stationed there until midnight too.

Thanks, I actually chanced upon this little piece here and it has a lot of helpful info (very current info, too!) for international students. Here's the link:

http://www.uea.ac.uk/services/students/International/arrivals

.... and this is the link for the PDF file containing the pre-departure stuff:

http://www.uea.ac.uk/services/students/International/Pre-Departure+Guide+2001-12
Original post by BethanW
I'm packing up my room at the moment and trying not to cry!

I hope you had a good year with us!

On that note can I remind anyone else that's leaving this week that you need to put your key in an envelope with your name, room number and student number on it before you return it. It makes thing a LOT easier for us if you. We can track the room number from the code on your key but if you can us the information it speeds up the process no end.

Oh, and please remove any key rings or tags you have on them - thanks.

We have envelopes in the office if you need one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aodhán
I am also seriously doubting my chances of getting into UEA after the OCR History exam today. The questions weren't terrible but I didn't come away feeling particularly confident.

My feelings exactly - the questions weren't that bad, but I think I performed really badly...

Sigh

I'm just hoping I'm overreacting and/or UEA are very nice...
Hey,
This might be a silly question but I was just wondering what people do in regards to suitcases? Do they normally get their parents to take them home with them or keep them in their room? I know the rooms aren't huge or anything, but surely you would need something to take your stuff home in whenever you pop back? Thank you :smile:

Also, I read something somewhere about us not getting a freshers week? Is this true? Sorry for the ramble haha
Original post by Kerry-Louise123

Hey,
This might be a silly question but I was just wondering what people do in regards to suitcases? Do they normally get their parents to take them home with them or keep them in their room? I know the rooms aren't huge or anything, but surely you would need something to take your stuff home in whenever you pop back? Thank you :smile:

Also, I read something somewhere about us not getting a freshers week? Is this true? Sorry for the ramble haha

I just put mine in my under the bed storage. More than big enough!

And well you do, but basically you have introductory lectures/registration during the day, and then fresher events in the evening.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I just put mine in my under the bed storage. More than big enough!

And well you do, but basically you have introductory lectures/registration during the day, and then fresher events in the evening.

Thank you! Where abouts did you stay?

Ah ok that sounds good, do the lectures start on the first Monday? What sort of freshers events are there?
doubting i'll get in :frown:

But UEA I love you so much :frown:

Thank you! Where abouts did you stay?

Ah ok that sounds good, do the lectures start on the first Monday? What sort of freshers events are there?

I am in the village :smile:

And I can't really comment on that, as I'm pretty sure it's course dependent.

I also can't comment on fresher's week - I'm a med student so I had my "freshers week" a week earlier, so by the time normal freshers came around I was in proper lectures, so I didn't really go to any events :p: I think I'm right in saying that you'll get sent stuff in the post about freshers week, and you'll get sent a link to buy tickets in advance. Not sure when all this stuff goes out, but it won't for a while AFAIK :smile:
Thank you! I put the Village as my second choice :smile:

Sorry another question, then I am done for now, promise :P

Do people's parents normally help them unpack etc?

Thank you! I put the Village as my second choice :smile:

Sorry another question, then I am done for now, promise :P

Do people's parents normally help them unpack etc?

Mine didn't, but mainly because I didn't want her to :p: It's perfectly normal if they do hang around and help though :smile: Although we did laugh at one of my flatmates, who got his mum to separate all his meats in the freezer and bag and label them :p:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Mine didn't, but mainly because I didn't want her to :p: It's perfectly normal if they do hang around and help though :smile: Although we did laugh at one of my flatmates, who got his mum to separate all his meats in the freezer and bag and label them :p:

Thank you! Awww bless him haha. Do you usually cook for yourself or as a flat then? Like do you have meals together or on your own? Maybe I wasn't done with the questions after all :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending