The Student Room Group

Job Pay At 17 In SportsWorld/SportsDirect

How much do you get paid at sportsworld/sportsdirect at 17, has anyone got anything apart from minimum wage
Reply 1
Unfortunately not, minimum wage all the way =/ On the bright side, it goes up from £3.53 to £3.57 in October...erm....woo? Did you pass your interview ok then?
Reply 2
yes i did, thank you,
nt to happy with the minimum wage business. Im sure people have got paid more in some branches
Reply 3
My friend used to work in the oxford street branch and got near to or the mininum wage from what I can remember :s-smilie:
Reply 4
gunit14
yes i did, thank you,
nt to happy with the minimum wage business. Im sure people have got paid more in some branches

Oh good :smile: Well, good"ish"

I'm not at all happy either, the main reason I've been looking for a new job is because I'm sick of my paper round (done it for 2 and a half years now), and the whole point of getting a new job is so I earn more money...thanks to minimum wage I'm only going to earn 37p more! Useless!!!

I know people who have been paid more in some branches - in fact, at the induction we had a couple of guys who work in the next nearest branch who were on hand to help run the induction, and they said they got started on £4.15 at the age of 16!

I'm just going to stick with the job for a couple of weeks, see if its worth carrying on, if it is, I'm going to group all the other 17 year olds who are starting (and there are quite a few) and demand a pay rise! :P
Original post by calumcvet
Oh good :smile: Well, good"ish"

I'm not at all happy either, the main reason I've been looking for a new job is because I'm sick of my paper round (done it for 2 and a half years now), and the whole point of getting a new job is so I earn more money...thanks to minimum wage I'm only going to earn 37p more! Useless!!!

I know people who have been paid more in some branches - in fact, at the induction we had a couple of guys who work in the next nearest branch who were on hand to help run the induction, and they said they got started on £4.15 at the age of 16!

I'm just going to stick with the job for a couple of weeks, see if its worth carrying on, if it is, I'm going to group all the other 17 year olds who are starting (and there are quite a few) and demand a pay rise! :P

I know im reawakening an old thread but what sort of things came up in the interview and did u ever get paid?
Reply 6
Original post by Georgiina_Tee
I know im reawakening an old thread but what sort of things came up in the interview and did u ever get paid?

Hey, sorry I haven't been on TSR in months. My interview wasn't what anyone in the right mind would call a proper interview - basically the person who interviewed me was extremely half-arsed about the whole thing, it was literally "Do you have proof you can work in the UK? What are your preferred days of work? Ok, fine, here's some need to knows for your induction."

Tbh, Sports Direct is NOT a good place to work. Ok, I've been a supervisor at a Fat Face store for the whole of my gap year, and it is one of the better places to work in retail, so I am a bit biased.

Going from my experience of Sports Direct, I would say this: stay away from them unless you are desperate for a job - paywise and motivation wise, it's awful!
Reply 7
Unfortunately not, minimum wage all the way =/ On the bright side, it goes up from £3.53 to £3.57 in October...erm....woo? Did you pass your interview ok then?

£3.54 to £3.58 you mean :yy:
Reply 8
Original post by Pride
£3.54 to £3.58 you mean :yy:

Lol aye, I do, but seeing as I earn £6.50 p/h I'm not too fussed about min. wage any more.
Reply 9
Lol aye, I do, but seeing as I earn £6.50 p/h I'm not too fussed about min. wage any more.

good for you. the min wage for 16-17 year olds is really mean. Mine's actually £4.52, 88p above the min wage, so on one hand I think it's small, but on the other, I think it could be so much worse, so I'm content.
Reply 10
Original post by Pride
good for you. the min wage for 16-17 year olds is really mean. Mine's actually £4.52, 88p above the min wage, so on one hand I think it's small, but on the other, I think it could be so much worse, so I'm content.

Ta lol. Tbh minimum wage for under 22s really is appalling, I don't understand how the government thinks young people, who have relatively little or no career experience at that age, can survive and pay all their bills, rent etc in some cases.
Reply 11
I worked there when i was 17 and got £4.50 per hour.
Reply 12
Hey I've got a quick question for anyone at SportsDirect, I've been working there for 3 months now and was wondering do we get paid earlier for Christmas? If so when? The people at my work aren't very nice/communicative :confused:
Reply 13
No, you don't get paid earlier as far I can remember - you'll ge tpaid as per usual, on the last working day of the month, which will be this friday.
Original post by gunit14
How much do you get paid at sportsworld/sportsdirect at 17, has anyone got anything apart from minimum wage

Sorry, I know this is a really old thread, but do they bother you during college or not? -Applying for a casual sales assistant position.
Hey, sorry I haven't been on TSR in months. My interview wasn't what anyone in the right mind would call a proper interview - basically the person who interviewed me was extremely half-arsed about the whole thing, it was literally "Do you have proof you can work in the UK? What are your preferred days of work? Ok, fine, here's some need to knows for your induction."

Tbh, Sports Direct is NOT a good place to work. Ok, I've been a supervisor at a Fat Face store for the whole of my gap year, and it is one of the better places to work in retail, so I am a bit biased.

Going from my experience of Sports Direct, I would say this: stay away from them unless you are desperate for a job - paywise and motivation wise, it's awful!

Yeah I ended up applying and getting a job with Sports Direct as I was that desperate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending