The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kerry-Louise123

Thank you! Awww bless him haha. Do you usually cook for yourself or as a flat then? Like do you have meals together or on your own? Maybe I wasn't done with the questions after all :redface:

We generally cooked for ourselves, just because 8 people are unlikely to all like the same things (especially since we had 1 vegetarian and 1 fussy eater - me :o:) but we tended to organise flat take-away nights, so we were kind of eating together. Although we all generally ate at similar times anyway.

I think sharing meals is more common when you're out of halls and living with less people - makes it slightly easier to organise!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
We generally cooked for ourselves, just because 8 people are unlikely to all like the same things (especially since we had 1 vegetarian and 1 fussy eater - me :o:) but we tended to organise flat take-away nights, so we were kind of eating together. Although we all generally ate at similar times anyway.

I think sharing meals is more common when you're out of halls and living with less people - makes it slightly easier to organise!

That makes sense, thank you so much :smile:
Reply 1662

Freshers weeks events vary; usually there are two 'icebreakers', just club nights with music in the LCR, a fancy dress night on Tuesday to introduce you (there is fancy dress every tuesday in term time), a 'Fresher's bash' at the following weekend with a big DJ, fairground rides etc, and a few non-conventional nights (for example in my year there was a night of stand up comedians and a night with a hypnotist and a comedy show where the audience joined in. There were really fun :smile:

As xXxBaby-BooxXx says some stuff starts in freshers week, apart from the day when you register/get all your info its generally not v important but still should attend, it's like the very first lessons of a subject where you don't really cover material just go over stuff. I do maths so think I may have had more than most art students, but less than medicine/other health related ones. The main thing to remember is that everyone else is in the same situation, so it's not really like you're missing out. What people mean when they say 'don't have fresher's week' is that some unis have a week after the moving in dates with no lectures, but UEA doesn't.

Oh and there are also daytime events like socmart, sportsmart and fresher's fair (tonnes of free stuff!) which repeat or last a while so you can almost certainly squeeze them in to the standard timetable.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Freshers weeks events vary; usually there are two 'icebreakers', just club nights with music in the LCR, a fancy dress night on Tuesday to introduce you (there is fancy dress every tuesday in term time), a 'Fresher's bash' at the following weekend with a big DJ, fairground rides etc, and a few non-conventional nights (for example in my year there was a night of stand up comedians and a night with a hypnotist and a comedy show where the audience joined in. There were really fun :smile:

As xXxBaby-BooxXx says some stuff starts in freshers week, apart from the day when you register/get all your info its generally not v important but still should attend, it's like the very first lessons of a subject where you don't really cover material just go over stuff. I do maths so think I may have had more than most art students, but less than medicine/other health related ones. The main thing to remember is that everyone else is in the same situation, so it's not really like you're missing out. What people mean when they say 'don't have fresher's week' is that some unis have a week after the moving in dates with no lectures, but UEA doesn't.

Oh and there are also daytime events like socmart, sportsmart and fresher's fair (tonnes of free stuff!) which repeat or last a while so you can almost certainly squeeze them in to the standard timetable.

xxx

Thank you! I guess it is good to go to lectures straight away and stuff, I guess it will be easier to settle in when you have more of a structure and something to do from the start. Free stuff always goes down a hit haha!

I assume it is after results we start getting info about all of that? Do we get our timetables and everything when we get there or do we get holiday work before hand, or does that depend on the school of study? So many things I haven't even thought about! xxx
Reply 1664
Thank you! I guess it is good to go to lectures straight away and stuff, I guess it will be easier to settle in when you have more of a structure and something to do from the start. Free stuff always goes down a hit haha!

I assume it is after results we start getting info about all of that? Do we get our timetables and everything when we get there or do we get holiday work before hand, or does that depend on the school of study? So many things I haven't even thought about! xxx

I didn't have any in Maths but I think some schools might at least have reading. Not certain though; I certainly don't think it's as much as some unis who sometimes have huge assignments to do.

Yeah, I think once your place is confirmed you first get the letter confirming your place then you get a 'pack' from UEA with a freshers guide in it, which I believe they now publish online as well. You also have to register online before you arrive at uni, and then get online access to book tickets for freshers week. We didn't get our timetables till we started, but they may do it earlier now not sure. Here is the infor for last year, guessing it'll be about the same this time :smile: http://www.ueastudent.com/Freshers%20timetable.pdf

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
I didn't have any in Maths but I think some schools might at least have reading. Not certain though; I certainly don't think it's as much as some unis who sometimes have huge assignments to do.

Yeah, I think once your place is confirmed you first get the letter confirming your place then you get a 'pack' from UEA with a freshers guide in it, which I believe they now publish online as well. You also have to register online before you arrive at uni, and then get online access to book tickets for freshers week. We didn't get our timetables till we started, but they may do it earlier now not sure. Here is the infor for last year, guessing it'll be about the same this time :smile: http://www.ueastudent.com/Freshers%20timetable.pdf

xxx

Thank you :smile: I have confirmed my place I believe (I have on ucas and it is an unconditional offer). Maybe they send them all out at the same time. Ooh right that's a good way to do it, do the tickets cost a lot? Thank you, I will have a look xxx
Reply 1666
Thank you :smile: I have confirmed my place I believe (I have on ucas and it is an unconditional offer). Maybe they send them all out at the same time. Ooh right that's a good way to do it, do the tickets cost a lot? Thank you, I will have a look xxx

Yeah, it'll be all at the same time, for fairness but also because they only finalise it just before anyway!

Tickets vary, I think (don't quote me) it's £10 for freshers bash (to cover fairground, entertainment etc unless they don't do it this year which I doubt) (maybe £12), about £7.50 for comedy, varying for gigs, £3.50-£5 for LCR nights (which is the t-shirt party, ice breaker etc). So not too expensive really, but it's worth putting aside a little over summer to cover it :smile:. Tickets are often sold on afterwards when people find out they can't go or that all their flatmates are doing something else/didn't get tickets. Of course selling above cost price isn't allowed but most people are nice and don't even try this, just sell for cost or even less. ^^

xxx
Thank you! What is the tshirt party and ice breaker? I just saw you had Sarah Millican last year! She's awesome :smile: xxx
Reply 1668
Thank you! What is the tshirt party and ice breaker? I just saw you had Sarah Millican last year! She's awesome :smile: xxx

T shirt party was where you got a free t-shirt inc. in ticket price with an 'about you' on it eg 'my name is, I study' and you fill it in and decorate if you like :smile:

Ice breaker was just music and dancing to meet people I believe.

I am jealous of you getting all these fun events this year, but not so jealous of the long wait to find out what ones you'll get :P

xxx
Original post by Cinamon
doubting i'll get in :frown:

But UEA I love you so much :frown:

:hugs: It ain't over until you have a response from UEA on track on Results day!
But yeah, totally identify with this feeling. I'm hoping everything will be ok for both of us. :jumphug:
Original post by kpwxx

xxx

Free stuff! :biggrin: :awesome:
It sounds SO good... *goes to frantically revise for horrible exam tomorrow*
Reply 1670
Original post by diamonddust
:hugs: It ain't over until you have a response from UEA on track on Results day!
But yeah, totally identify with this feeling. I'm hoping everything will be ok for both of us. :jumphug:

Free stuff! :biggrin: :awesome:
It sounds SO good... *goes to frantically revise for horrible exam tomorrow*

I got many many pens and pads of paper. And pizza. And beer. And a t-shirt. And a hairbrush. And a glass. And popcorn. And lots of memberships. And 1,000,000 dominoes vouchers, make sure you get enough of these to last an entire years worth of post night-out 4am pizza calls.

Good luck with revision, think of the pizza as motivation!
Original post by kpwxx
I got many many pens and pads of paper. And pizza. And beer. And a t-shirt. And a hairbrush. And a glass. And popcorn. And lots of memberships. And 1,000,000 dominoes vouchers, make sure you get enough of these to last an entire years worth of post night-out 4am pizza calls.

Good luck with revision, think of the pizza as motivation!

How did you get all this free stuff?! Not gonna lie, I just got a bit too excited at the prospect of free pizza and a hairbrush... And the stationery of course!
Original post by diamonddust

Me too :bawling:
Reply 1673
How did you get all this free stuff?! Not gonna lie, I just got a bit too excited at the prospect of free pizza and a hairbrush... And the stationery of course!

It's pretty much thrown at you. The hairbrush was a raffle, but the tickets were free (one each). The popcorn was for taking a free student membership to the local picture house cinema/joining E4 slackers club free. The pizza was for giving your mobile number to dominoes so that they can text you like twice a year with special offers. They also have vouchers for a free personal pizza in freshers week and one week later in the year if you call in the shop on a weekday daytime. Everything else I just picked up :smile:
Original post by kpwxx
It's pretty much thrown at you. The hairbrush was a raffle, but the tickets were free (one each). The popcorn was for taking a free student membership to the local picture house cinema/joining E4 slackers club free. The pizza was for giving your mobile number to dominoes so that they can text you like twice a year with special offers. They also have vouchers for a free personal pizza in freshers week and one week later in the year if you call in the shop on a weekday daytime. Everything else I just picked up :smile:

Ah wow, that sounds so good, getting quite excited now haha :smile: Oh also, do you know what accommodation blocks have views of the river/ grass and not just other accommodation? xxx
Ah wow, that sounds so good, getting quite excited now haha :smile: Oh also, do you know what accommodation blocks have views of the river/ grass and not just other accommodation? xxx

Norfolk and Suffolk do, don't they? (the 'premium standard')
Original post by kpwxx

Aww man you know when you really want to get excited about freshers but you're not sure you're even going to be a fresher this year :frown:

That was one UGLY Geography paper.
I have another beast on Friday.
Reply 1677

http://www.uea.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.184136!/campusmap_March2011_V2.pdf

The lake is the bit at the bottom labelled 'the broad', the bit in between that and campus is grass and the bit the the left is woodland. So you can see some of the newer blocks have a view too (as well as norfolk/suffolk) although there is a big hill which I think might be between colman and the lake (not quite sure, just know it's there somewhere!
The only accommodation that gets the nice views are norfolk/suffolk. Saying that I lived in Nelson Court this year and had a hill as my view however the rabbits make it much better.
Reply 1679
Original post by makingamemory
Aww man you know when you really want to get excited about freshers but you're not sure you're even going to be a fresher this year :frown:

That was one UGLY Geography paper.
I have another beast on Friday.

Yeah, I remember that feeling well. The thought of what I would do with all the stuff I'd bought if I didn't get in... I had to make a list of reasons why it's good I wasn't going this year to read to myself if I didn't get the grades, just in case.

Latest

Trending

Trending