The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic

Scroll to see replies

Ahh I totally sucked at making conclusions for the maghreb questions! I was so out of time so might lose those evaluation marks =\

I did energy and water. They were all right... even though I felt like I was repeating a lot of stuff on question a) water.

Glad its over!
What was the superpower question b) everyone hated??
Reply 422
Original post by mischka_tay
What was the superpower question b) everyone hated??

Something about how the World System theory and Dependency theory can show a change in global power...

It wasnt bad, I also talked about Modernisation theory.
It was an interesting paper, I did energy and superpowers (questions a's were GREAT, b's were alright). First Maghreb question was easy, second was alright, last one was SO GAY!!!
Got to kick unit 4's ass for an A, or mildly beat it up for a B :smile:
Superpower (b) was hard.

Dependency - neo colonial - countries reliant on consultancy, (biwater), brain drain because of shared language, power vacuum left after decolonisation- led to dictatorship. Global power was never going to change as ex-colonised were left fragmented.

World Systems- Core, semi periphery, periphery, - unreliable as China bucks the trend, cumulative causation to semi periphery rather than core. China is being neo-colonial not just core countries. Doesn't give wider picture, theory is an historic dinosaur. Something about trickle down too.

Thats about what I put- ok?
Reply 425
Good job I have a day off to re-cooperate and revise. Those Maghreb questions - B especially. What a stinker. What did you write? Couldn't think of anything. 2 and a half hours paper, done and never going to do it again!
Reply 426
Original post by generaljonny
Superpower (b) was hard.

Dependency - neo colonial - countries reliant on consultancy, (biwater), brain drain because of shared language, power vacuum left after decolonisation- led to dictatorship. Global power was never going to change as ex-colonised were left fragmented.

World Systems- Core, semi periphery, periphery, - unreliable as China bucks the trend, cumulative causation to semi periphery rather than core. China is being neo-colonial not just core countries. Doesn't give wider picture, theory is an historic dinosaur. Something about trickle down too.

Thats about what I put- ok?

Sounds good to me :biggrin:
Did you write about modernisation too?
Reply 427
Original post by ECHF
Sounds good to me :biggrin:
Did you write about modernisation too?

I did, I thoughtt modernisation theory made more sense in regards to the question :/
Am i the only one who did biodiversity :smile: ?!!?!

Maghreb questions were pretty easy tbh, Pretty much the exact 3 questions i'd revisised.
Energy was easy.
Biodiversity was horrible!!
Anyone else do bio?
Reply 429
energy question, what a bliss!
superpowers seemed too straightforward at first, thought there must've been a catch...now realising for part B the key to the question was how it "contributes to our understanding of changing power"..i concentrated on the theories, and quickly added how the RICs show changing power..but dont think it was quite enough detail. worrying about it now. :frown:
and maghreb section. what the hell was part B and C? :frown:
more pressure on unit 4 now!
anyone do water?
part b was horrible
what did you write for energy b?

I did USA Iraq, Russia/Ukrain/Europe over gas and an internal greenpeace and the Arctic... actually make one up about farmers and developers in Cali.. like whether to use the land for agriculture or build a solar power station. =s who knows sounds realistic to me... good that edexcel doesnt penalize for wrong stuff lol.
Original post by Courage Wolf
anyone do water?
part b was horrible

sounded ok to me... basically international conflicts like india with bangladesh, turkey gap... maybe even colorado (especially with the env. effects)

So not sure though... I think I messed up on the a) question... like repeated a lot of stuff. couldnt think of anything original. =s
Reply 433
Original post by Maxgoodrum
Am i the only one who did biodiversity :smile: ?!!?!

Maghreb questions were pretty easy tbh, Pretty much the exact 3 questions i'd revisised.
Energy was easy.
Biodiversity was horrible!!
Anyone else do bio?

I did Biodiversity - it was the differences between conservation and preservation right? And management. What did you write?? :smile:
Original post by fathead_09
can i ask how comes ya exams finished early? if it started at 1 shouldnt you finish at 3.30??x

x

Im not from the uk so maybe thats why we kinda did it at another time
for energy part b i talked about USA going into middle, oil sands in ANWR and the fossil fuels in the artic
Yeah for part b of water i mentioned india/Bangladesh, Colorado and the Nile. Couldn't think of any aquifers though
Hope it went well for everyone, i found that last section rather tricky but hopefully my take on it is ok =)
Original post by Courage Wolf
for energy part b i talked about USA going into middle, oil sands in ANWR and the fossil fuels in the artic

Isnt ANWR the same thing as the arctic?
Original post by fevziye
I did Biodiversity - it was the differences between conservation and preservation right? And management. What did you write?? :smile:

Errrm aha i didn't write about that, i wrote about the difference between large scalle top down management from people like WWF and millenium devel goals etc. compared to local small scalle management of mangrove swamps.

Really wans't sure thoguh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending