The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
I need to own this, because I completely ****** up. Looks like a C tops, damn it :frown:

LOOOL, I loved that paper
Original post by LibbyU
Oh my GOD, someone please help me with the article?!?! I've literally done NOTHING with it except read it!! how is everyone revising for the article? Is it enough to just read it a couple of times then revise the related areas from the textbook e.g. gene doping??? heeeeeellllllllppppppp

I dont know hwo to revise for the 30 MARKS article :s-smilie:
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
What about you?

Yeah need to own unit 5. Hopefully they are low. Don't give away any ques lol :tongue:

Hey how did it go for you,
Original post by jam277
I need to own this, because I completely ****** up. Looks like a C tops, damn it :frown:

I've definitely lost at least 15-20 marks, god knows how many else. That paper was ridiculously unbalanced and what's worse it was not on the stuff I was on good on either. So many waffle questions and so much data to analyse. Page long data! :mad:

Original post by darkiee
Hey how did it go for you,

Not very good. You?
Reply 1824
I've definitely lost at least 15-20 marks, god knows how many else. That paper was ridiculously unbalanced and what's worse it was not on the stuff I was on good on either. So many waffle questions and so much data to analyse. Page long data! :mad:

Not very good. You?

Just dnt know what to say abt the paper.
its the type where you could have owned it or could have messed it big time.

to many long marks Qs which meant wehave to write a lot and miss on points.
edexcel is :angry:

6 mrks on wavelenght lost :mad:

and 6 mrks fr why the scientist didnt agree.
Original post by medtobe
Just dnt know what to say abt the paper.
its the type where you could have owned it or could have messed it big time.

to many long marks Qs which meant wehave to write a lot and miss on points.
edexcel is :angry:

6 mrks on wavelenght lost :mad:

and 6 mrks fr why the scientist didnt agree.

Yeah too many waffle question. There was hardly anything on photosynthesis and immune system :angry:

Yep the wavelength ques. I think I guessed the table one and got it right, but I had no idea what I was doing or what it was saying.

What did you put for the which seed is best growing at different latitudes away from the equator?

Talk on this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1676443

Leave this for unit 5
is there jan 2010 6bio5 papers?

Not very good. You?

Lol, if 15-20 marks is all you lost then youll have an A*. have you seen last years grade boundaries?

BTW im sure its been asked but for the 2nd paper what exactly do we need to do with the Gym in a bottle article, do we need to learn about all the terms mentioned in it like IGf-1 and all?
I have UNIT 5 CHEMISTRY TOMOROW, ****ting myself :s-smilie:
Reply 1829
Original post by darkiee
I have UNIT 5 CHEMISTRY TOMOROW, ****ting myself :s-smilie:

unit 5??
or 4?
Original post by bertstare
Lol, if 15-20 marks is all you lost then youll have an A*. have you seen last years grade boundaries?

BTW im sure its been asked but for the 2nd paper what exactly do we need to do with the Gym in a bottle article, do we need to learn about all the terms mentioned in it like IGf-1 and all?

That's defo lost. I have probably lost much more than that, 1-2 marks here and there as the questions were all waffly.

They could ask anything from the article AFAIK. So just know the topic areas covered in it.
Original post by medtobe
unit 5??
or 4?

F325 Ocr, Unit 5 for OCR :biggrin:
has anyone got any muscle questions?

Anyone? ^

EDIT: When the myosin head bens forward, moving the actin filament along the myosin filament, ADP and Pi are released right? Is the ADP and Pi from hydrolysis of ATP by ATPase or are they are just there?

Because the next step is free ATP binds to mysoin head and ATP is hydrolysed via the enzyme ATPase and this provides the energy to return the myosin heads to their original position :s-smilie:

I'm really confused.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1833
has anyone got any muscle questions?

Here you go!
Reply 1834
Anyone? ^

EDIT: When the myosin head bens forward, moving the actin filament along the myosin filament, ADP and Pi are released right? Is the ADP and Pi from hydrolysis of ATP by ATPase or are they are just there?

Because the next step is free ATP binds to mysoin head and ATP is hydrolysed via the enzyme ATPase and this provides the energy to return the myosin heads to their original position :s-smilie:

I'm really confused.

the calcium ions activate the enzyme ATPase which breaks ATP into ADP and Pi, supplying energy for the globular head to move forwards. This energy is also used to break the actin-myosin cross bridge and ADP + Pi is released. ATP from mitochondria is then again attached to the globular head on myosin binding site!
Anyone? ^

I'm really confused.

1) the myosin heads ATTACH to the binding sites on the actin thin filament. this forms cross bridges.
2) this leads to a conformational change that releases ADP and Pi .... the release of ADP and Pi causes the myosin heads to tilt forward 45 degrees... they SLIDE the actin filaments across... a.k.a the power stroke
3) Free ATP binds to the cross-bridges and this breaks the cross-bridges... i.e. the myosin heads DETACH from binding site
4) ATPase in the myosin heads catalyses the hydrolysis of ATP into ADP and Pi... this releases energy which is used to return the myosin heads to their original upright position

repeat
Original post by chemdweeb1234
1) the myosin heads ATTACH to the binding sites on the actin thin filament. this forms cross bridges.
2) this leads to a conformational change that releases ADP and Pi .... the release of ADP and Pi causes the myosin heads to tilt forward 45 degrees... they SLIDE the actin filaments across... a.k.a the power stroke
3) Free ATP binds to the cross-bridges and this breaks the cross-bridges... i.e. the myosin heads DETACH from binding site
4) ATPase in the myosin heads catalyses the hydrolysis of ATP into ADP and Pi... this releases energy which is used to return the myosin heads to their original upright position

repeat

Original post by Meesta
the calcium ions activate the enzyme ATPase which breaks ATP into ADP and Pi, supplying energy for the globular head to move forwards. This energy is also used to break the actin-myosin cross bridge and ADP + Pi is released. ATP from mitochondria is then again attached to the globular head on myosin binding site!

Thanks to both of you :smile:

Original post by r.b
Here you go!

Thanks. Have you got a mark scheme for it?
Another question:

Explain how an increase in blood volume in the venae cavae and right atrium causes a change in heart rate.

The MS says:
1. Increased blood pressure (in vena cava / right atrium);
2. Baroreceptors stimulated;
3. {Cardiovascular centre / medulla} initiate impulses in {sympathetic / accelerator} nerve;
4. {Stimulation of SAN increased / eq} / decreased delay at AVN;
5. Heart rate increased / eq;

I don't get this. I thought an increase in pressure leads to a decrease in heart rate? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Another question:

Explain how an increase in blood volume in the venae cavae and right atrium causes a change in heart rate.

The MS says:
1. Increased blood pressure (in vena cava / right atrium);
2. Baroreceptors stimulated;
3. {Cardiovascular centre / medulla} initiate impulses in {sympathetic / accelerator} nerve;
4. {Stimulation of SAN increased / eq} / decreased delay at AVN;
5. Heart rate increased / eq;

I don't get this. I thought an increase in pressure leads to a decrease in heart rate? :s-smilie:

Hmmm..yeah that's what I'm thinking! Increase in blood pressure definitely leads to a decrease in heart rate
Original post by jam277
Same thing happened to me. Damn. I'm in the exact same situation.

Yup, sucks. I don't think yesterday's exam helped one bit. :frown: I honestly don't know what to expect. Goodluck with the rest of your exams! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending