The Student Room Group

A2 Sociology OCR Predictions?

Anyone got any predictions for what will come up in G673 and G674? I need to get my revision on a more specific trail! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Our tutor thinks that for G674 Ethnicity isn't as likely to come up, but she thinks that age is likely to. :smile:
Reply 2
Oh god I hope ethnicity doesn't come up! I'm awful with that, it just doesn't stick in my damn brain. Age would be verrryyyy nice though, fingers crossed!
Reply 3
bump!
Reply 4
Our teacher always refuses to teach age because 'we can always pick the other question'. I hope age doesn't come up in an A) question on one and a B) question on the other otherwise I am literally screwed!

Apparently gender is likely to come up on G674 as well as age.

As for G673 I have no idea! The changing class structure hasn't come up yet so perhaps something to do with that; however I find that a really strange topic to ask a question about... how would they structure the question? :/

*gets back to revision*
Reply 5
think it will be age and gender as social class and ethnicity came up in january and they usually interchange it between exams
Reply 6
Ethnicity came up in the last 2 G674's, Jan 2011 and June 2010.

So basically DON'T revise ethnicity unless you're really confident with everything else just in case.

If by the extremely slim chance that it does come up, you have a choice to skip that question anyway.
Reply 7
I was re-going over everything, and what I think could come up is: Subcultural theories, Feminism, maybe usefulness of official stats, maybe social construction of the courts, and finally social class...

I know which two I'd like to answer!
Reply 8
:angry:
Original post by liamcol123
I was re-going over everything, and what I think could come up is: Subcultural theories, Feminism, maybe usefulness of official stats, maybe social construction of the courts, and finally social class...

I know which two I'd like to answer!

Do you mean for crime and deviance or social inequality? or both??
Reply 9
Original post by harrietl07
:angry:

Do you mean for crime and deviance or social inequality? or both??

I'm talking crime and deviance haha, christ I havnt even started inequality :/
Reply 10
I'm hoping Marxism and the role of the media comes up for crime and deviance, otherwise i'm screwed. Does anyone have any ideas on what might come up? I doubt ethnicity, functionalism and interactionism will come up, since they came up last year.
Reply 11
Original post by DBSKrules
I'm hoping Marxism and the role of the media comes up for crime and deviance, otherwise i'm screwed. Does anyone have any ideas on what might come up? I doubt ethnicity, functionalism and interactionism will come up, since they came up last year.

You're in a bit of luck mate, the latest things to come up (Jan 2011) were Left realist explanations, Self report studies and The police as a social construction. But I'd still be careful with the marxism and media, as they are both in the specimen paper, so usually would not come up, but seeing as they've not come up at all yet, you're in with a decent chance.

I reckon subcultural theories are in with a shout (would LOVE for them to come up aha), also feminism, Social construction of media/courts, social class or maybe Marxism... I hope to god ethnicity, interactionism and corporate crime doesn't come up, I would die.
Reply 12
You're in a bit of luck mate, the latest things to come up (Jan 2011) were Left realist explanations, Self report studies and The police as a social construction. But I'd still be careful with the marxism and media, as they are both in the specimen paper, so usually would not come up, but seeing as they've not come up at all yet, you're in with a decent chance.

I reckon subcultural theories are in with a shout (would LOVE for them to come up aha), also feminism, Social construction of media/courts, social class or maybe Marxism... I hope to god ethnicity, interactionism and corporate crime doesn't come up, I would die.

Oh man, i'm definitely screwed then. I'm hoping victim surveys and official statistics might come up, because I've barely touched anything else, I spent most of my time revising for my other subjects. I sat the exam in January and did pretty badly, because I spent most of my time revising the topics my teacher said will come up: marxism. *sighs* this will not end well. On the plus side, I've got an essay on subcultural theory that I did months ago, I could try to learn that.
Reply 13
Original post by DBSKrules
Oh man, i'm definitely screwed then. I'm hoping victim surveys and official statistics might come up, because I've barely touched anything else, I spent most of my time revising for my other subjects. I sat the exam in January and did pretty badly, because I spent most of my time revising the topics my teacher said will come up: marxism. *sighs* this will not end well. On the plus side, I've got an essay on subcultural theory that I did months ago, I could try to learn that.

Subcultural theories is really easy, seriously consider learning it! If you're struggling, I like to make pictures linking the sociologists to what they say. For instance, Walter miller came up with focal concerns, the picture I have is a water mill (Walter Miller) with a six monacles on and frustrated eyebrows (6 focal concerns). But yeah, it's better if you make em a wieerrddd as possible, and you'd be surprised at the amount you can remember!

All in your mind by the way, not actual drawings aha, hope that kinda helps? :biggrin:
Reply 14
ive hardly done any revision, has anyone got any tips on how and what to cram this evening? PLEAAAAASE!!!
Reply 15
Subcultural theories is really easy, seriously consider learning it! If you're struggling, I like to make pictures linking the sociologists to what they say. For instance, Walter miller came up with focal concerns, the picture I have is a water mill (Walter Miller) with a six monacles on and frustrated eyebrows (6 focal concerns). But yeah, it's better if you make em a wieerrddd as possible, and you'd be surprised at the amount you can remember!

All in your mind by the way, not actual drawings aha, hope that kinda helps? :biggrin:

Thanks! I found that pretty useful:smile:
Good luck tomorrow!
Does anyone actually know if Subcultural theories do come up what will the qustion ask you? I have the information but no pratice questions!
Reply 17
Original post by SophieHolmes01
Does anyone actually know if Subcultural theories do come up what will the qustion ask you? I have the information but no pratice questions!

It would be something like "Outline and assess subcultural theories of crime"

Like the way they'd ask about Functionalism, Marxism, Feminism etc.
It would be something like "Outline and assess subcultural theories of crime"

Like the way they'd ask about Functionalism, Marxism, Feminism etc.

Thank you very much :smile:
Also, does any one have any evaluation points for Cohens theory?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending