The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature A - Love Through the Ages June 2011 Exam :D

Scroll to see replies

can someone tell me about what they have on the importance of form for prose!?!?
Urrgh yeah I hate Shakespeare. I can not understand a word, and then when I go to read the translation I'm like "ohhh that's what he's talking about. i thought it was something completely different". I phail so much hahha.
also does narrative voice come under form or structure?
Form of a prose extract - mostly about the narrative viewpoint yes (and how this influences what we know of the character's mind - is it 3rd person but do we see more of one character than another, or is it a 3rd person omniscient narrator, or is it a 1st person narration and how much do they read into other characters?)
Also about whether it is a bildungsroman (although hard to tell from an extract) or whatever like a frame narrative (although again it is hard to tell from the extract).

Also look at dialogue to an extent - a certain amount can actually tie in with analysing the language

Form of a drama is actually easier! Look at what is said (by who and how much they say) and what is left unsaid - are there any stage directions that are natable? Or does the audience react to something that isn't said necessarily?

And also with each you can discuss the limitations of the genre. While in a play characters are able to talk for themselves, and the audience judges them on their own words and actions, are the audience influenced by the opinion of another character? Do we really see inside the thoughts of the actual character? The problem with plays in terms of what we think of characters revolves around do we really see what they actually think - are they subjective or do they relay their innermost thoughts through soliloquy?

One of best examples is probs Anthony and Cleopatra - does the audience ever truly see the inner workings of Cleopatra's mind as she never soliloquises? Is she to some extent 'performing' to others on stage?

How does the fact it is a play draw the audience to further understand the characters, or is it limited in it's 'character drawing'?
I just made this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1677046

Feel free to add to it in any way! (Not only that - adding to it would be very welcome indeed :smile: )
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by pianofluteftw
Form of a prose extract - mostly about the narrative viewpoint yes (and how this influences what we know of the character's mind - is it 3rd person but do we see more of one character than another, or is it a 3rd person omniscient narrator, or is it a 1st person narration and how much do they read into other characters?)
Also about whether it is a bildungsroman (although hard to tell from an extract) or whatever like a frame narrative (although again it is hard to tell from the extract).

Also look at dialogue to an extent - a certain amount can actually tie in with analysing the language

Form of a drama is actually easier! Look at what is said (by who and how much they say) and what is left unsaid - are there any stage directions that are natable? Or does the audience react to something that isn't said necessarily?

And also with each you can discuss the limitations of the genre. While in a play characters are able to talk for themselves, and the audience judges them on their own words and actions, are the audience influenced by the opinion of another character? Do we really see inside the thoughts of the actual character? The problem with plays in terms of what we think of characters revolves around do we really see what they actually think - are they subjective or do they relay their innermost thoughts through soliloquy?

One of best examples is probs Anthony and Cleopatra - does the audience ever truly see the inner workings of Cleopatra's mind as she never soliloquises? Is she to some extent 'performing' to others on stage?

How does the fact it is a play draw the audience to further understand the characters, or is it limited in it's 'character drawing'?

thankyou!! :biggrin:
Original post by ashleighwhitehouse
also does narrative voice come under form or structure?

It could be either (dramatic monologue = form, multiple narrators in e.g. Wuthering Heights = structure), but it really doesn't matter because there's no reason to label it. Talk about it when it's relevant. People are stressing too much! As I've said elsewhere or earlier (I'm losing track of where I'm posting at the moment), the best essays are where the student has seen something really interesting and pursues an individual line of enquiry without sticking rigidly to a pre-prepared essay formula. Freshness of approach is a signifier of A and A* answers and you can weigh yourself down with too much reliance on labelling things for no real purpose.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It could be either (dramatic monologue = form, multiple narrators in e.g. Wuthering Heights = structure), but it really doesn't matter because there's no reason to label it. Talk about it when it's relevant. People are stressing too much! As I've said elsewhere or earlier (I'm losing track of where I'm posting at the moment), the best essays are where the student has seen something really interesting and pursues an individual line of enquiry without sticking rigidly to a pre-prepared essay formula. Freshness of approach is a signifier of A and A* answers and you can weigh yourself down with too much reliance on labelling things for no real purpose.

yeah i know but.... there's no chance of me getting an A anyway! if people want an A, they don't leave it til two days before :wink: :frown: haha.

i'm scared that i will cover two aspects of structure and not any of form or something, then will drop loads of marks :\
yeah i know but.... there's no chance of me getting an A anyway! if people want an A, they don't leave it til two days before :wink: :frown: haha.

i'm scared that i will cover two aspects of structure and not any of form or something, then will drop loads of marks :\

Your honesty is refreshing and charming. :smile:
For people who have studied 'A Streetcar Named Desire', what quotes do you have? I have several of Williams stage directions, the main quote of 'Haven't you ever travelled on that streetcar', and ones that portray Stanley's sexual motivation e.g. the coloured lights etc.
Are there any other obviously good ones that I'm completely missing out on?!
xxx

Thanks to everyone posting on this thread it's so helpful

This is so true! Find a really good couple of points (my teacher called it her 'sexy idea' until the class just went silent) and stick to it - pointing out different ways it is emphasised or explored. They want to see development of an argument - not just a few things that could actually just be bullet pointed instead of written as a cogent response. :smile:
Your honesty is refreshing and charming. :smile:

hahaha!
to be honest, i have been really unorganised considering university relies on this. i think my passionate hate for the exam is what has caused it :frown: are you taking it or have you already?
Original post by Rachel_Leah
For people who have studied 'A Streetcar Named Desire', what quotes do you have? I have several of Williams stage directions, the main quote of 'Haven't you ever travelled on that streetcar', and ones that portray Stanley's sexual motivation e.g. the coloured lights etc.
xxx

Haven't got my copy to hand (and as a teacher I don't need to know them off by heart!) but a bit from where Stella is explaining to Blanche what is Stanley's attraction, maybe a bit from Blanche's account of the discovery of her husband's sexuality and another from Mitch's rejection of Blanche. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it's 3 years since I taught it and I'm too old to have a memory any more.:redface:
Original post by pianofluteftw
This is so true! Find a really good couple of points (my teacher called it her 'sexy idea' until the class just went silent) and stick to it - pointing out different ways it is emphasised or explored. They want to see development of an argument - not just a few things that could actually just be bullet pointed instead of written as a cogent response. :smile:

I think I shall steal the 'sexy idea' and watch my class cringe...
Original post by Rachel_Leah
xxx

There's one that Blanche says I think about death being the opposite to desire - scene 9 I think - I'll check... "The opposite [of death] is desire" It's part of a longer quote but I can't find my copy of the text at the moment...
Of course that links to the quote about the streetcar named desire and cemetery :smile:
Oh and anything about masculinity or a struggle for equality in love I chuck in the one about """Every man is a King" And I am the king around here so don't forget it"
(edited 12 years ago)
hahaha!
to be honest, i have been really unorganised considering university relies on this. i think my passionate hate for the exam is what has caused it :frown: are you taking it or have you already?

Bless you, my child, I teach it!
I think I shall steal the 'sexy idea' and watch my class cringe...

Please go for it - my teacher made English A level so much better with her random phrases she came out with - another one is FOFO (F*** off Find out) when she was despairing that no one knew any context :wink:
any good quotes for tess of the d'ubervilles im finding it hard to pick a few out
Bless you, my child, I teach it!

OH! hahaha. i see!
Reply 179
Has anyone been taught a sort a structure to stick by, i know the best answers don't stick by a structure but i actaully NEED 1 if anyone has anything like a good structure I will be SOOO grateful. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending