The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InvisibleGInger
What mark did you get last year? I got 99/ 100 and 96/100. Was just wondering if your marks were comparable to this so I can know what grade I would need to get an A. thanks

I'm including my ethics from this year since I did it in January so best not to base it on mine. You need 80% for an A so that's 320/400 UMS. Since you've got 195, you only need 125 more out of the 200 UMS this year. So you can get 62/63 UMS in each test this year and still come out with an A. Low 60s is a low C in each. That's my understanding of it anyway, feel free to correct me anyone. Well done on last years, that's pretty awesome! :smile:
Original post by Pipthesalad
i used tiger woods as an example in the extramarital sex question LOL :smile:

Love it. I used a Sirius Black analogy (Harry Potter, for those of you who aren't quite as obsessed) as part of my argument for Soft Determinism...

It made sense and was completely relevant, but I still couldn't quite believe that I was writing about Azkaban and so on... in an A2 exam. :gigg:
Original post by WingardiumKate
Love it. I used a Sirius Black analogy (Harry Potter, for those of you who aren't quite as obsessed) as part of my argument for Soft Determinism...

It made sense and was completely relevant, but I still couldn't quite believe that I was writing about Azkaban and so on... in an A2 exam. :gigg:

Aha that's awesome! I used the history boys in my psychology exam :P

Oh God, for my emotivism example I did 'Hitler, therefore, can be seen by Ayer as saying boo Jews and by Stevenson as boo Jews and you should boo along with me'... I know :redface:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Aha that's awesome! I used the history boys in my psychology exam :P

Oh God, for my emotivism example I did 'Hitler, therefore, can be seen by Ayer as saying boo Jews and by Stevenson as boo Jews and you should boo along with me'... I know :redface:

HAHAHAAAA... that is absolutely hilarious!! :biggrin:
Original post by Katie1404
I'm including my ethics from this year since I did it in January so best not to base it on mine. You need 80% for an A so that's 320/400 UMS. Since you've got 195, you only need 125 more out of the 200 UMS this year. So you can get 62/63 UMS in each test this year and still come out with an A. Low 60s is a low C in each. That's my understanding of it anyway, feel free to correct me anyone. Well done on last years, that's pretty awesome! :smile:

Ah so you're basing yours on the fact that you did well on ethics in Jan, so don't have to do as well in philosophy. That's a nice position to be in.
Original post by InvisibleGInger
I basically limited myself to talking about virtue ethics, natural law and utilitarianism to get a nice contrast. I basically argued that Nat law was too limiting, whilst utilit could promote sexuality in a damaging way, whereas virtue seemed to present a happy medium.

Your response seems similar to mine, except I posed Kant as too limiting instead of natural law & rule util as a good alternative.

I gave a description of virtue ethics
Said how not all actions have a golden mean (extra marital sex can't have pure virtuous mean-aids decision making).
Said about philippa foot saying that actions have to be good to be virtuous (that this can be forgotten/confused so VE not so helpful).
I then compared to kant (can't universalise exrta marital sex-more helpful but may be ignored).
& then compared to Mill (rule util, could form a rule for extra marital sex & it's more straight forward to apply than VE-could be ignored- weak rule util).
Really I should have compared to kant & christian ethics, I communicated Mill dreadfully.
I went onto say about alisdair mcintyre's emphasis on the collective (extra marital sex would effect collective to a greater extent, may be ignored by other ethical theories also trying to be a role model to others)
Finished with rosalind hursthouse/julia annas talking about it's practicality & so VE is helpful.
^ that sounds better than it was: my communication was friggin dire.
Original post by Anna Louise
Also i've heard ocr basically award a mark for like every good point. so if you use the 'posh' terminology like non-cognitive and cognitive language then that counts as a mark ! so even if you have made that little mistake as long as you know you've put some other good stuff in there it won't count against you getting a good mark on the whole :smile:

This isn't true, sadly. :frown: If you look at the mark scheme, marks are not necessarily given for every fact you write down. They give you a mark out of 35 based on the getting relevant facts, giving relevant information and being critical. In a language essay you could write the meanings of 35 key words and their meanings, or 35 philosophers and their idea, but unless it directly relates to the question you get no marks.
I thought the same as you until recently when I spoke to an examiner about it. The key to high marks is making your answer relevant :smile:
Original post by Oxmatt
The questions on the paper weren't that tricky in themselves as they had been before, so I felt the need to actively go and say "look at me, I've been stretched and challenged!" in the questions whether or not it was actually useful lol

I think my favourite area is probably the philosophy of language or epistemology, but I tend to think more in terms of favourite philosophers, which top of the list for me is Hume, who rocks. I'm a big fan though of the phenomenological approach which I reckon has been ignored too much by analytic philosophy and has made it pretty dry in some areas, which is where existentialism has its strength I guess (sorry if that's a completely wrong view lol). Psych I reckon is pretty closely linked to philosophy in some areas as well, though I'm too tired to make out how :P My mum did psych at uni and is a Jungian psychologist so for me it's just been 'what my mum does' and it's only recently through Phil & Eth that I've studied it and actually realised it's quite interesting (plus she's a good revision source :P)

I guess that's where psychology and philosophy are so different. You rarely get like 100 people in philosophy all saying the exact same thing in different variations, psychology is more split by what it's studying rather than whom.

Yes Hume is the man! Although I think my favourite has to be Nietzsche and his mustache by far (I also managed to sneak him in there I remember now ha). You'll know far more about any philosopher than me, I really have no clue about what's been ignored and so forth, I just enjoy reading their books.

Ah Jung, I'm far more of a sciencey psych with rats in a lab than armchair psychology I'm afraid!
Original post by Anna Louise
yeahh i guess you're right ! well i put that hick\s replica theory for the soul question was the thing about london and new york, which i don't think is right at all, and i had like no time left so i hardly explained the example and how it helps the question, so i doubt it made sense :/ but i know i put some other could stuff in there to make up for it !

and ohh what did hick say ? or was it just you put him down for bliks instead of hare ? i don't think so they'll know you were under pressure in the exam. Also i've heard ocr basically award a mark for like every good point. so if you use the 'posh' terminology like non-cognitive and cognitive language then that counts as a mark ! so even if you have made that little mistake as long as you know you've put some other good stuff in there it won't count against you getting a good mark on the whole :smile:

Well that sounds great... I did get an A for AS when I thought it went really badly but you can never really tell with exams :/

Good luck for the rest of your exams :smile:
Hi,
Im such an idiot!
i quickly rushed into the free will question - critically access we are responsinble for our own evil actions- and did an essay on CONSCIENCE based on it.
I related the essay to the question but i did it on conscience!
Does anyone think i will still get any marks on it or if thats ok???
Original post by emilylikeeee
This isn't true, sadly. :frown: If you look at the mark scheme, marks are not necessarily given for every fact you write down. They give you a mark out of 35 based on the getting relevant facts, giving relevant information and being critical. In a language essay you could write the meanings of 35 key words and their meanings, or 35 philosophers and their idea, but unless it directly relates to the question you get no marks.
I thought the same as you until recently when I spoke to an examiner about it. The key to high marks is making your answer relevant :smile:

Agreed. It's more about answering the question in the best way you can and selecting the knowledge applicable to it then writing down everything you know about a topic.
Hi,
Im such an idiot!
i quickly rushed into the free will question (on the ethics paper) - critically access we are responsinble for our own evil actions- and did an essay on CONSCIENCE based on it.
Original post by qwertyabi
Hi,
Im such an idiot!
i quickly rushed into the free will question (on the ethics paper) - critically access we are responsinble for our own evil actions- and did an essay on CONSCIENCE based on it.

If it was relevant enough you'll get credit! I brought conscience into mine too, granted I would have struggled to make 35 marks on it, but I'm not saying it can't be done!
As long as it linked to responsibilty to evil, there's no need to worry in my opinion :smile:
Original post by emilylikeeee
If it was relevant enough you'll get credit! I brought conscience into mine too, granted I would have struggled to make 35 marks on it, but I'm not saying it can't be done!
As long as it linked to responsibilty to evil, there's no need to worry in my opinion :smile:

Thanks for your opinion..but the mark scheme they are given for the question, i rekon will only give an answer reffering to a free will/determinism answer.
therefore, if they dont mention conscience in the mark scheme they might reward me with no marks.
Thanks for your opinion..but the mark scheme they are given for the question, i rekon will only give an answer reffering to a free will/determinism answer.
therefore, if they dont mention conscience in the mark scheme they might reward me with no marks.

There is no real mark scheme for P+E. It's not like a science subject where there are a list of right answers and you have to mention them. The mark scheme is incredibly vague, and basically states that anything which is relevant gains marks.

If you cross over topics, they actually like it, because it shows that you can apply different theories outside of the area you learnt it in :smile: Therefore applying conscience to the free will question would definitely give you some marks, if used correctly.

Edit: Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you just mentioned it, rather than did a whole question on it. You'll still get marks though.
(edited 12 years ago)
however, i didnt use any reference to free will just conscience.
So do you think they will accept my conscience essay as a legitamate answer for the question even though it was based on free will??
Hi,
Im such an idiot!

Lol why'd you ask for our opinions if you'd already made up your mind? :rolleyes:
lol im justing really nervous about it..im sure noene did that essay on conscience.
just annoyed with myself
however, i didnt use any reference to free will just conscience.
So do you think they will accept my conscience essay as a legitamate answer for the question even though it was based on free will??

They should do, it's about answering the question with relevant material.
I read the examiners report for January 2011, there was a free will question on social conditioning, some candidates responded from the view point of other topics and still did well. Here's a quote:
"Candidates responded to the question using different approaches. Some used conscience, with a reasonable degree of success, whilst others used meta-ethical theories. Those who focused on answering the question were successful whatever approach they took."

I hope this is encouraging :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending