The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2560
Original post by Madjackismad
Parts of The Dark Knight Rises have been secretly filmed in Glasgow with more shots coming. WHAT THE FRIGGING HELL!? :lolwut:

Oh, and there's this: http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/117/1176169p1.html

Filmed in Glasgow eh? It must be even darker than anyone anticipated. :sadnod:

Original post by lukejoshjedi
fairplay, have some not so fond memories of somerset house then? :tongue: I just want to watch Kung Fu hustle again with a bunch of people, it's just even more funny

My uni's right next to it, so I'm hardly unfamiliar with Somerset House. It'd be decent if there was any actual seats. Sitting on cobblestones starts to hurt after a while.

Original post by Phalanges
It is part of my elaborate exit strategy from TSR. The day I leave I'm going to change it a top that's fallen over, and allow everyone to marvel at my depth.

I was more referring to the public backlash where loads of people suddenly decided it was awful and didn't deserve any awards. But yeah, there was that as well.

You really are having a pretentious day. :colonhash:

I wasn't really aware of that backlash, but it always seems to happen every time the film isn't a stereotypical "Hollywood" film.
Original post by zjs
Filmed in Glasgow eh? It must be even darker than anyone anticipated. :sadnod:

My uni's right next to it, so I'm hardly unfamiliar with Somerset House. It'd be decent if there was any actual seats. Sitting on cobblestones starts to hurt after a while.

You really are having a pretentious day. :colonhash:

I wasn't really aware of that backlash, but it always seems to happen every time the film isn't a stereotypical "Hollywood" film.

Nolan is using London and Croydon as well as Chicago (and other cities in the UK and other places) to create a 'mish mash' of Gotham.

Shame it will probably be at like 4 in the morning on a weekday that isn't a Thursday or Friday.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh, and you would obviously bring a cushion along to Somerset House.

A jumper would also be a good idea.
Reply 2563
Oh, and you would obviously bring a cushion along to Somerset House.

A jumper would also be a good idea.

And a raincoat. :pierre:

Plus, you'd get the cushion dirty. Nobody wants that. :camp:

I like the idea of a mish-mash of Gotham from world cities. :yes:
The ABCs of Death is going to be a film split into 26 short segments with each segment featuring a killing centred around something with a letter of the alphabet. Each segment is going to have a different director, and one is going to be a competition winner. Here are the names of the other 25:

Kaare Andrews (Altitude)
Angela Bettis (Roman)
Ernesto Diaz Espinoza (Mirageman, Mandrill)
Jason Eisener (Hobo With A Shotgun)
Bruno Forzani and Héléne (Amer)
Adrian Garcia Bogliano (Cold Sweat)
Xavier Gens (Frontiers, Hitman)
Noburo Iguchi (Machine Girl, Robo Geisha)
Thomas Malling (Norwegian Ninja)
Yoshihiro Nishimura (Tokyo Gore Police, Frankenstein Girl Vs. Vampire Girl)
JT Petty (Soft For Digging, The Burrowers)
Banjong Pisanthanakun (Shutter, Alone)
Simon Rumley (The Living and the Dead; Red, White and Blue)
Marcel Sarmiento (DeadGirl)
Chris Smith (Severance, Triangle)
Srdjan Spasojevic (A Serbian Film)
Timo Tjahjanto (Macabre)
Andrew Traucki (The Reef, Black Water)
Nacho Vigalondo (TimeCrimes)
Jake West (Doghouse, Evil Aliens)
Ti West (House of the Devil, The Innkeepers)
Ben Wheatley (Down Terrace, Kill List)
Adam Wingard (Pop Skull, A Horrible Way to Die)
Anders Wulffmorgenthaler (Princess)
Yudai Yamaguchi (Yakuza Weapon, Battlefield Baseball)

There are some really interesting names on here (along with a few hacks). I have to say that I'm really intrigued by how something like this might pan out.
Was the building for Arkham Asylum in Batman Begins in London? This video has a comment where a guy says this:

Reply 2566
Was the building for Arkham Asylum in Batman Begins in London? This video has a comment where a guy says this:

Indeed it was. The building is the National Institute for Medical Research, in Mill Hill (the interior for the staircase chase was St Pancras Chambers, in Euston).

Interestingly enough, the City of Gotham State Courts were also filmed in London; in Senate House Library.
Original post by zjs
Indeed it was. The building is the National Institute for Medical Research, in Mill Hill (the interior for the staircase chase was St Pancras Chambers, in Euston).

Interestingly enough, the City of Gotham State Courts were also filmed in London; in Senate House Library.

The building in the background recognisable to you? There was also a Gotham City Police car in one of the videos. :awesome:
Reply 2568
The building in the background recognisable to you? There was also a Gotham City Police car in one of the videos. :awesome:

It says "St. John Bar & Restaurant" on the building to the right, so my guess would be that the building is in St. John's Wood, London. But I don't recognise it, and it could just as easily be a name that has nothing to do with the location. :holmes:
I've just seen a picture of where they are based in Glasgow. It's some old industrial estate near the Hilton hotel because you can see the huge tower of the hotel really close by. :awesome:

Picture dated 24th May. :p:
Original post by MizzCupcakes
I have a newfound fascination for the german language :biggrin:

I'd be happy if you could recommend me some german and/or polish films.

German: The Edukators, Goodbye Lenin!
Polish: Katyn

I'm sure I could think of more, but I'm feeling a bit lazy :tongue:
Original post by MizzCupcakes
I have a newfound fascination for the german language :biggrin:

I'd be happy if you could recommend me some german and/or polish films.

The White Ribbon and The Lives of Others in German.

Pretty much all of Krysztof Kieslowski's films are in Polish and I they are nearly all great. Though The Three Colours Trilogy (most of which is in French) and The Decalogue (a TV series) are considered his best works, I have a soft sport for Blind Chance and No End. But as I say they are all really good and they will certainly make you think.
Reply 2572
Hi all. I'm new so i'll introduce moiself

My Fav Film is Shawshank Redemption
I hope to become a writer/ cinematographer/ director/ actor/ producer either or is fine but my dream would be all.
At the moment I'm excited for the Hobbit film to be made, as it was one of my favourite books as a child.
The last film I saw was X-men: First class last Sat. In general I'd give it a 7.3/10.
Lmao, 7.3/10? What exactly is it that stops it from being a 7.4?
Reply 2574
I have my reasons :smile:
Care to explain them?

What did X-men need to do differently to get a 7.4?

Phalanges has managed to convince me that there really is no need for any numerical rating system beyond 1,2,3,4,5/5 :tongue:
Reply 2576
Well they could have made it less jumpy. They editing of the film wasn't up to scratch and there were parts in the movie which would make sense to a non-xmen fan who was familiar with the characters and their realtionships etc. Throughout the film my sister's friend kept on asking me question "How did they get there?", "When did that happen?" stuff like that. The whole film was really just a big hype. yeah suspense is built and your entertained by the special fx but the end left me wanting more I wasn't satisfied They needed to cut all the loose ties (trying not to give anything away) Also Magneto's actor (forgot his name) kept mixing his accent really ruined the suspension of disbelief

And that rating system probably is more accurate and concise but, then again the bigger the number the better it looks right?
I'm wondering if Friends with Benefits will be ok, Mila Kunis is surprisingly good in lead roles

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1632708/ the cast seems ok
Currently on repeat if you press the red button on BBC is the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra doing film scores... it's amazing, I'm on my second run of it now. Man I love the theme to Taxi Driver...
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Currently on repeat if you press the red button on BBC is the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra doing film scores... it's amazing, I'm on my second run of it now. Man I love the theme to Taxi Driver...

Here on iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011pptk/Radio_3_Live_in_Concert_The_BBC_Philharmonic_Play_Music_from_Your_Favouite_Films/

Thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply

Latest