The Student Room Group

OCR B Salters - F335 Exam - 15 June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
what experimental techniques do we need to know guys??
Reply 341
How do you do shell orbitals for things like thallium. I know the end but 6p1 but dont know how the do the bit just before it
Reply 342
Original post by 41jms
sheeeeeeeeet do we need to know this?

Its in the chemical storylines and is designated in the revision guide as a part we need to know.
Reply 343
Original post by *Rainbow*
How do you do shell orbitals for things like thallium. I know the end but 6p1 but dont know how the do the bit just before it

You only need to know the full electron orbitals up to Z=35 according to the syllabus thing I have.

I guess they might ask you outer shell electrons though, but where you can relate it to the s p d sub-shell structure.
Reply 344
Original post by AGM
You only need to know the full electron orbitals up to Z=35 according to the syllabus thing I have.

I guess they might ask you outer shell electrons though, but where you can relate it to the s p d sub-shell structure.

Thanks - Yeah i think we can deduce it from the patterns

Original post by AGM

Well they say. The F332 exam asked you to draw out the electronic configuration of Iodine. Not a stretch bit still...
Reply 346
Btw does anyone know whether we still do born-harber cycles in this new spec?

We've not ben taught it.

Although If you were asked for thallium I'd just put [Xe] 6S2 6P1

Although I think for thallium you end up with d and f orbitals in there somewhere, so I'm not sure.
Reply 348
Original post by gozatron
Well they say. The F332 exam asked you to draw out the electronic configuration of Iodine. Not a stretch bit still...

I really really reaaaallly vehemenently despise this exam board!!!!

I don't think so/ I really really hope not as I haven't been taught it.

I was told no. And I've read through an annotated spec a few times, and it's not on there, unless they go under different names.
Reply 351
Original post by limetang
We've not ben taught it.

Although If you were asked for thallium I'd just put [Xe] 6S2 6P1

Although I think for thallium you end up with d and f orbitals in there somewhere, so I'm not sure.

Do you mean [Tl] 6s2 6p1 ? Confused.. but yeah if you meant this i get you
Reply 352

haha I think I'd probably start crying -this exam's so tough

Original post by Glennith
I was told no. And I've read through an annotated spec a few times, and it's not on there, unless they go under different names.

That's a relief!
Do you mean [Tl] 6s2 6p1 ? Confused.. but yeah if you meant this i get you

No [Xe] as in the electronic configuration for Xenon with those shells added to it (if that makes sense). It's just a form of shorthand.
Reply 354
No [Xe] as in the electronic configuration for Xenon with those shells added to it (if that makes sense). It's just a form of shorthand.

Uh-oh should I be scared that I have never heard of this before.. can you please try to explain this if possible?
Reply 355

I've been doing past papers and theres been a few questions....
It's also in the salters revision book... It's only N2 + 3H2 = 2NH3 :]
definitely forgotten to revise a topic somewhere.
Ah well, Most important exam of life tomorrow.

Bring it on.

Goodluck, Goodnight, and godbless.

:crossedf:
Reply 357
what is a mordant?
Reply 358
I'm good now with all of the Kw, Ka, Kg, Klol etc calculations. However I'm still struggling to get buffers. I understand that they maintain a constant pH with the addition of acid or Alkali, but I'm struggling to see how.

Some reasons why I'm confused.

|Does every buffer contain a Weak Acid/Conjugate Acid AND a Weak Base/Conjugate Base working together?
Reply 359
Original post by Conor 419
I'm good now with all of the Kw, Ka, Kg, Klol etc calculations. However I'm still struggling to get buffers. I understand that they maintain a constant pH with the addition of acid or Alkali, but I'm struggling to see how.

Some reasons why I'm confused.

|Does every buffer contain a Weak Acid/Conjugate Acid AND a Weak Base/Conjugate Base working together?

A buffer is a a mixture of EITHER a weak acid and its conjugate base, OR a weak base and its conjugate acid.

Quick Reply