The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Geography unit 4: Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by conwainator
basically its bridging the dev gap, and its about how these countries who have been LEDCs for many years, are now gaining money from supplying tourism for the MEDCs. The rich are buying from the poor for their leisure. Focus on their links with the EU (arguably a superpower), eg. Morrocos free air travel agreement.
Go through it and higlight the following;

players

actions

futures

synoptic links

Dont worry, im ****ting it too, i need a B and i got an E last time. Good luck

ahh okayy thank youu, has cleared a few things up, and yes exact same boat, i got an E in january, and need a B overal to get into uni, am so scared as thought i had done okay in january but clearly not!
Reply 81
If anyone wants to have a chat about the Cold Environments topic, PM me!
anyone know the steer for tectonics, i appear to have lost it D:
Original post by TheRockMaster
Thanks...thats a really good help :smile:

These are some of the questions which I think might come up:

There are a range of factors which make tectonic activity hazardous. Discuss

Examine the range of factors in which tectonic activity can be hazardous (using named example).

Evaluate the effect of frequency and magnitude of tectonic hazards on the scale of their impacts.

If you have any other info then it will be much appreciated, if it causes no trouble :smile:

Using raned examples, comment on the role of various factors which effect the vulnerability of populations in different phases of tectonic activity
ignore my post, i found it :P
Reply 85
Original post by mischka_tay
Hey guys who are doing culture, how many case studies are you using to support the concept of 'positive' influence on globalization?

I've came up with 2 - glocalization and when tourism brings benefits.

Do you think that would be enough? ... I already have total of 7 case studies so I tbh think it would be too much to cover other positive impacts of globalization cz there are loads.

What do u think?

I have three case studies, plus one critical perspective
you should be fine. as long as you expand in enough detail. How are you planning your report? Are you doing in terms of people's different views like hyperglobalisers, transformationalists, sceptics? or positive negative?
I don't know which is best. I'm a little worried that something solely about people's different varying views of globalisation's impact will come up.. what would do for that..?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lolly21
I have three case studies, plus one critical perspective
you should be fine. as long as you expand in enough detail. How are you planning your report? Are you doing in terms of people's different views like hyperglobalisers, transformationalists, sceptics? or positive negative?
I don't know which is best. I'm a little worried that something solely about people's different varying views of globalisation's impact will come up.. what would do for that..?

What are ur case studies? Im thinking of adding another one...

I want to merge the views with examples of positive/negative. Like making support to the views.... are you going to mention about resistance to globalisation?
Reply 87
Original post by mischka_tay
What are ur case studies? Im thinking of adding another one...

I want to merge the views with examples of positive/negative. Like making support to the views.... are you going to mention about resistance to globalisation?

Yep, i've talked out resistance to globalisation in the positive impacts or non-impacting influences of cultural diversity
- i used france as resistance
- japan as resistance too
and then i have a case study on the gastarbeiter generation of germany which is briefly explained in the edexcel-endorsed textbook
I'm not sure whether that's enough? what do you think?

How are you going to go about merging the views? i don't know where to find them all...
Reply 88
Does anyone have any hints on what to do for culture?
Like case studies to revise or what the examiners will be looking out for etc?
Thanks in advance
Reply 89
culture people...

how are you structuring the essay... trasnformationalists, hyperglobalists and sceptics or differently??
Reply 90
Anyone want to discuss the food topic?
Reply 91
Original post by rylime
Anyone want to discuss the food topic?

Yes, how are you doing it?
Reply 92
Is there anyone here who's doing the option on tectonics? Just wondered how you all intended to play the introduction. I have a huge problem spending too much time on it and I think it's because I'm trying to cram in every single bit of geographical knowledge we’ve got!

Do you intend to write anything about plate tectonics, convection currents etc in your introduction, essentially enquiry question 1 stuff, or go straight into factors that make tectonic activity hazardous and scale of impact? In a mock I did (which my teacher didn't get round to looking at, it's been two weeks since I sent it to her and dropped one into her pigeon hole so I've given up) my intro went into tectonics, convection currents, boundaries, vulnerability, dreggs, disaster risk, emdat classification, before going into factors and scale of impact and how I intended to lay it out, methodology etc. Does that sound ok, or should I hone it down a little, whilst I know it's relevant geogers we do need to focus on how to get those marks.

I'd really appreciate any words of wisdom; it would be really useful to hear a different perspective. Thank you in advance (:
Reply 93
Original post by Cermo
I'm doing life on the margins too.
You really think that second question you posted could come up? I really doubt (and hope!) that they would have a question to do with management without any hint about it in the pre release don't you think?
Would be a really unfair question given what it says on the pre-release, and i think its much more likely to be around processes (including desertification) that lead to food insecurity.

It's really unlikely that management will come up. The pre-release focused on causes and desertification, so if it does come up edexcel are being unreasonable. Its more likely to be is desertification the main cause of food insecurity, or how important is it, or it could just be what are the causes of food insecurity but also saying mentioning desertification.

Original post by CHemgeo
Oh...damn I'm going have to rethink case studies with the exam being so close, thanks :smile:

I'm doing 3 (maybe 4) drylands case studies and then another 2 non-drylands but food insecure. It means I'll cover all bases: dryland but not food insecure, dryland and food insecure, non-dryland but food insecure...
Periglaciation. Help.
Reply 95
Original post by re12
It's really unlikely that management will come up. The pre-release focused on causes and desertification, so if it does come up edexcel are being unreasonable. Its more likely to be is desertification the main cause of food insecurity, or how important is it, or it could just be what are the causes of food insecurity but also saying mentioning desertification.

I'm doing 3 (maybe 4) drylands case studies and then another 2 non-drylands but food insecure. It means I'll cover all bases: dryland but not food insecure, dryland and food insecure, non-dryland but food insecure...

That's what my teacher said to do - only I've only really done China - Sahel - Australia. I'll have to do some quick research on DRC (fertile country) and Zimbabwe. Do you have a structure. I think - Desertification is the most important factor then Other factors more important. What do you think?
And does anyone have any case studies notes to share pretty please?
Original post by kimmyl30
That's what my teacher said to do - only I've only really done China - Sahel - Australia. I'll have to do some quick research on DRC (fertile country) and Zimbabwe. Do you have a structure. I think - Desertification is the most important factor then Other factors more important. What do you think?
And does anyone have any case studies notes to share pretty please?

I sat the exam in January and am re-taking on friday, but haven't had loads of guidace from my teacher as im the only one retaking,

I am planning to split the report into 2, human and physical reasons for food insecurity, with desertification being a catalyst.

Physical Case Studies
Natural Disasters (Cyclone in Myanmar)
Drought (UK)
Desertfication (The Sahel)

Human Case Studies
Darfur (civil unrest)
Zimbabwe (Political misrule)
Land Grabs

How are other people planning on structuring it?
Original post by iainrylance
Periglaciation. Help.

What have you got so far?
Processes?
Landforms?
Landscapes?
Case studies?
Original post by Courage Wolf
What have you got so far?
Processes?
Landforms?
Landscapes?
Case studies?

Ummm kinda nothing? Been focused on Unit 3! could you just give me an outline of all of that stuff, just like what i need to learn.
Reply 99
OMG , i´m really panicking with this exam , im doing the one which involves desertification , but i´m very stuck , because our teacher was absent for a couple of weeks and the information was given to us too late , so i have a small amount of information . Thanx a lot for you all for sharing your case studies .

I need help , as i dont now which background information about desertification i need to learn :s-smilie:

Please help me ...

Thanx to you all , you are amazing !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending