The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpwxx
Yeah, I remember that feeling well. The thought of what I would do with all the stuff I'd bought if I didn't get in... I had to make a list of reasons why it's good I wasn't going this year to read to myself if I didn't get the grades, just in case.

I don't suppose you still have that list to comfort us, eh?
8 days left until freedom!

and to try and keep on topic: :wink:
Are there ironing boards or would we have to buy our own / use a table with a towel over it? And like vaccuum etc? (ha me asking this when I only love cleaning my room when I'm avoiding school work)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by makingamemory

Are there ironing boards or would we have to buy our own / use a table with a towel over it? And like vaccuum etc? (ha me asking this when I only love cleaning my room when I'm avoiding school work)

In the village I have an ironing board (although they didn't provide an iron :lolwut:) and a hoover is available, although most of the time the cupboard it's kept in is locked, so we have to keep leaving notes to the cleaner :smile:
Original post by diamonddust
Haha, it wasn't you who caused the mass pedantic...ness. *cough* made up word alert* :tongue:

Good luck hun! I need to revise too. *cry*

Actually, pedanticness is a word. Suppodedly. Even if it does look strange...

Thanks, I'll need it. I did the OCR biology exam everyone's up in arms about. What gets me is that it was mostly ecology. I suck at ecology. That and the 'common sense' questions. Most people think "easy marks", but common sense in exams goes out of the window... And ethics. My answers to those were just logic. Not really ethical...

English on Thursday... Eep! Need to learn more wider reading; I don't have enough!
Reply 1683
I don't suppose you still have that list to comfort us, eh?
8 days left until freedom!

What xXxBaby-BooxXx said applies in all the accom I believe.With the hoover it depends on your cleaner really, if you make friends and are nice and don't make too much mess, they'll often leave it out for you overnight even though I don't think they technically should. If not though you just leave a note or catch them to ask in the morning.
haha Oh I know the feeling I tried to make tomato risotto today which resembled orange puke >.< taste all right though. My friends pyschology teacher bought her a student cookbook as a leaving present (it's a surprise the girl can make toast!) which I might buy as the dishes were all easy to make and yummy looking. Plus its only like £3 on Amazon.

ooo that's a good idea :wink: I think MC will probably be my last choice then again I really don't want to put something before that which I know I couldn't afford.

Awww I'm sure it wasn't that bad, was your topic feminism or did they go off topic and lead you to that? So do you like men or women more? :wink: haha

My art exam was bad I got a C :/ which somehow pulled my overall A2 to a C and as I got a C last year, I now have a nice ... C lol which means atm I've not fulfilled my offer. Although after my teacher dropped that bomb I had to spend the next day making a few amendments to it to hopefully pull it up to a B. The one thing that annoys me is that I worked my butt off with the coursework and got 90/100 and cwk is weighted more than the exam so how it pulled it down so drastically is beyond me.
I just have to hope for the best and that if I miss the B it's by a few marks and hopefully I'll get an A in Bio/Geo or both (dunno which one ill get an A in so I'm gunning for both) that UEA will see that in the end art is completely irrelevant and wouldn't affect my performance/ability at all during my course.

On a better note I did get 36/45 on my horrendous biology coursework which is brilliant because I would have been happy with just a pass on that mental thing.
My biology retake was good (except for Edexcels little faux pas which landed them on the BBC website) hope I got the few extra marks to bring the AS to an A.

Just dreading both my geography papers this week. Doesn't help that on the AS paper the year 12s sat recently AQA had messed up the question making it impossible to answer. I just hope there aren't any of those mistakes as I'm stressed about the tests as it is! Dreading the issues paper too as it's completely hit and miss. My teacher even said we know the stuff, they just try to trip you up to knock your confidence. (and it works!)

Awww what accommodation did you live in this year?

Aw guys we WILL get in! We will, we will, we will! Come September we shall be moving into our accommodation and enjoying freshers! It's a shame the admissions team isn't on here too to see how much we really want to be there next year.

I may have to look into that when my exams are over... And on the topic of things that look gross but taste fine; my pasta carbonara looked like gloop... As long as it tastes good though - as far as I'm concerned, it can look as disgusting as you like. Well, within boundaries...

It was my last choice too. I really wouldn't like to be that far away. It may be closer to the city, but early morning lectures would not be fun, particularly if you have to pay for the bus...

It was pretty bad. My teacher listened to it and said she thought it was a low C. I need a B. And no, it wasn't. My main topic was abortion, so I could see how it linked, but she didn't actually link it like that. She ended the debate then went from abortion to "Do you think there's a big gap between different classes in society?" It totally threw me. I stared. My sub topics did not include that. They included crime, and adoption, but not something I'd never done before and barely understood. If I'd been better at French I would've been able to manage with that though, so it's my fault.

The men or women and feminism question occurred when I told her I thought there was a bigger gap between men and women in society, not because I think that, just because I wanted to steer it to safer gound...

Oh, that really doesn't make a lot of sense... I don't know how they worked that one out. I really hope you manage to pull it up to the grade you want! Good luck!

Wow! Well done! I heard Edexcel's coursework for Biology was awful... It made me glad I was on OCR.

I'm sure it'll be okay for you; if they make a mistake like that, they have to lower the grade boundaries. I know there was a Geography AQA exam today - my friend did it. Did you find it okay? Good luck for the next one! :biggrin:
Reply 1685
Hi there,
I live about 11.9999 miles away from campus so i'm not guaranteed accommodation (which is fair enough).
I also deferred a year in my application so i know i'm going in september but here's my dilemma.

I REALLY want to live near the university so whilst I could apply for uni accommodation it's pretty unlikely that i'll get it and if i don't i could wait at home for a couple of months to see if anything opens up but i'm afraid i'll miss out on some of the most important social weeks of uni by living so far away.

OR, i could start looking at houses nearby but these can be few and far between and a bit far from the uni.

OR, i could apply for accommodation and if i don't get it look for a room in a house but i'm worried there will be nothing available by then.

Can any give me any advice or what they would do?
Original post by cdevlin
Hi there,
I live about 11.9999 miles away from campus so i'm not guaranteed accommodation (which is fair enough).
I also deferred a year in my application so i know i'm going in september but here's my dilemma.

I REALLY want to live near the university so whilst I could apply for uni accommodation it's pretty unlikely that i'll get it and if i don't i could wait at home for a couple of months to see if anything opens up but i'm afraid i'll miss out on some of the most important social weeks of uni by living so far away.

OR, i could start looking at houses nearby but these can be few and far between and a bit far from the uni.

OR, i could apply for accommodation and if i don't get it look for a room in a house but i'm worried there will be nothing available by then.

I'd apply for accomodation in uni halls, if you don't get it then you should still be able to find somewhere to live. I know someone at UEA now who got there through clearing, she got somewhere at the end of August with some other students who also didn't get uni halls (I presume they went through clearing as well.)
Original post by kpwxx
I got many many pens and pads of paper. And pizza. And beer. And a t-shirt. And a hairbrush. And a glass. And popcorn. And lots of memberships. And 1,000,000 dominoes vouchers, make sure you get enough of these to last an entire years worth of post night-out 4am pizza calls.

Good luck with revision, think of the pizza as motivation!

Honestly, if this isn't motivation, I don't know what is.
I fancy a Spanish sizzler now.
Hiya, yet to complete my accommodation form - but defo putting Norfolk and Suffolk as first choices!
The village will be second choice - defo want to be where the parties are at those :wink:
I have never used a Launderette before, and I was wondering, do you take your own washing powder etc or do you buy it there?
Thank you :smile:

Also, are bins provided in our rooms? Basically, what is in the room and what do we need? Is it a complete empty shell, so we need to bring like lamps, bins etc?
(edited 12 years ago)
Someone stop me. I'm getting excited about UEA and I haven't finished ALL my exams yet.
Original post by diamonddust
Someone stop me. I'm getting excited about UEA and I haven't finished ALL my exams yet.

Original post by Kerry-Louise123
I have never used a Launderette before, and I was wondering, do you take your own washing powder etc or do you buy it there?
Thank you :smile:

Also, are bins provided in our rooms? Basically, what is in the room and what do we need? Is it a complete empty shell, so we need to bring like lamps, bins etc?

Yep, you need washing powder.

Stuff that's provided in the room (campus ensuite - one of the new ones):

Bed
Mattress
Mattress protector
Desk
Chair
Shelving
Wardrobe
Set of drawers
Bin
Ethernet cable for internet
Notice board

You can only put recyclable things in the bin (although this tends to cover pretty much everything, except food and glass. There are bins in the kitchen as well (one for food and one for recyclables), and you have to take your glass stuff to the recycling points. Bins in your room get emptied every day. We didn't get a lamp, but there's a light under the shelves above the desk which acts as a desk light. If I was doing it again, I'd probably buy a separate lamp and something to act as a bedside table because it's a pain to have to get out of bed to switch the light off at night.

I found that I needed quite a lot of extra storage (although I have far too much stuff). I have some plastic boxes under my bed with stuff in them, plus a storage tower for things as well.

I'll take some pictures of it once I've cleared up a bit and before I start packing. I've been meaning to do it all year.
Original post by pigwigeon
Yep, you need washing powder.

Bed
Mattress
Mattress protector
Desk
Chair
Shelving
Wardrobe
Set of drawers
Bin
Notice board

You can only put recyclable things in the bin (although this tends to cover pretty much everything, except food and glass. There are bins in the kitchen as well (one for food and one for recyclables), and you have to take your glass stuff to the recycling points. Bins in your room get emptied every day. We didn't get a lamp, but there's a light under the shelves above the desk which acts as a desk light. If I was doing it again, I'd probably buy a separate lamp and something to act as a bedside table because it's a pain to have to get out of bed to switch the light off at night.

I found that I needed quite a lot of extra storage (although I have far too much stuff). I have some plastic boxes under my bed with stuff in them, plus a storage tower for things as well.

I'll take some pictures of it once I've cleared up a bit and before I start packing. I've been meaning to do it all year.

Thank you, definitely helpful :smile: Pictures would be great, good luck packing!

Bed
Mattress
Mattress protector
Desk
Chair
Shelving
Wardrobe
Set of drawers
Bin
Notice board

BiB:
1) I just put a plastic bag in my bin and chuck anything I want in, and then empty it myself whenever it needs doing, rather than use it as a recycling bin
2) As far as I'm aware our room bins only get emptied once a week (the day when our shower pods get cleaned) but I may be wrong, as I use my bin slightly differently :p: Basically, my bin stuff is always there, and I empty it once a week on the morning that my pod gets cleaned, before the cleaner arrives :p:
3) The village has no such light
4) The village does have a little wooden thing next to the bed that acts as a bedside table. On it I fit a small lamp and my alarm clock.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
BiB:
1) I just put a plastic bag in my bin and chuck anything I want in, and then empty it myself whenever it needs doing, rather than use it as a recycling bin
2) As far as I'm aware our room bins only get emptied once a week (the day when our shower pods get cleaned) but I may be wrong, as I use my bin slightly differently :p: Basically, my bin stuff is always there, and I empty it once a week on the morning that my pod gets cleaned, before the cleaner arrives :p:
3) The village has no such light
4) The village does have a little wooden thing next to the bed that acts as a bedside table. On it I fit a small lamp and my alarm clock.

Hahaha, I'm far too lazy to be up before the cleaner comes. She saw me awake last week for the first time this term because I had to be up for an exam and was visibly shocked. I probably should have gone down the own-bin route, but I live opposite the kitchen so whenever something needs putting in the bin I can just nip in there. Plus, knowing me, I'd leave it in my room and it'd start to smell. As I said, the above list is the stuff you get if you're in the newer campus ensuites, which are all pretty much identical.

Hahaha, I'm far too lazy to be up before the cleaner comes.

I don't have a choice :p: I get my room cleaned on a Thursday, which is the same day that I have GP placement. And I get picked up outside Colman at 8:30 :emo:
Reply 1698
Original post by cdevlin
Hi there,

I'm with jelly1000, I'd wait as there is quite a lot of accommodation in Norwich (unlike places like Cambridge where they're very short). As well as grouping with others who didn't get a place, you could also tag on to a house who just has one room to fill; this happens a bit with people backing out, not meeting their grades, there are also plenty of people who leave filling that space or even looking for a house to the last minute.

As for the social thing, that's a benefit of having lectures straight away- you can meet people there and make friends, so you can meet them out and maybe even stay at their place if you need to.

Good luck anyway!
xxx
Reply 1699
Original post by Kerry-Louise123

When I was in the village (last year) the bins were emptied in our rooms daily, although there were no rules on what could go in it that I knew of then, so I'm guessing they may have just changed cause xXxBaby-BooxXx uses it different. Stuff like cleaning etc is generally very consistent across every single accommodation, because it's all UEA run and it's fairer.

I think Mary Chapman has space next to the bed for a table as well.

xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending