The Student Room Group

A2 aqa geography june 2011 official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by In_Infamy
Did anyone else talk about relief rainfall for the Weather and climate question...the 10 marker? :frown: (which I hear is wrong T_T)

What kind of things could you talk about for altitude anyway? I spoke about temperatures decreasing due to distance from earth's surface and decreasing air pressure...and that's all I could think of?? I wrote that in one paragraph.

Awww don't say that orographic rainfall was like one of the few things I could think of for altitude! Do you know why it is wrong?
Most of the exam good but petrified about 1 single question... the 10 mark world cities question. In this question I used as a partnership scheme (which in fact I have suddenly decided it might not be) for the London Docklands which was the LDRC London Docklands Regeneration Corporation in the hope that this would count as a partnership.

My question to you all is this - will I get away with using this ????
Original post by Ark-Angel
Most of the exam good but petrified about 1 single question... the 10 mark world cities question. In this question I used as a partnership scheme (which in fact I have suddenly decided it might not be) for the London Docklands which was the LDRC London Docklands Regeneration Corporation in the hope that this would count as a partnership.

My question to you all is this - will I get away with using this ????

I used it and so did all the people in my exam who did the same q. I thought about City Challenge Partnerships but we didnt actually have a case study for it. :s-smilie:
Do people think the grade boundaries will be low on this test?
Reply 1525
Original post by nbclough1
Do people think the grade boundaries will be low on this test?

i really do hope so :frown:
Reply 1526
Original post by Helen18
I have messed this exam up so bad :frown: :frown: :frown: Not gonna get my first choice uni now no way

omg same, i really want to cry now :s-smilie: :frown:
Reply 1527
Original post by tasmain
DID ANYONE DO THE SQ ON DEV+GLO?! Cant see any response on it! And was it just me or was there no plant or centre in Japan on the map?!

I did the ecosystems sq and the tectonic essay. The essay i loved although there was so much to right about because the vagueness of the question! In the ecosystems part c i totally forgot to write about animals in the routeway habitat - does that matter that i just focused on Japanese knotweed and Oxford ragwort. Oh, and i drew a diagram in part b of ecosystems too is that ok?

I picked that up on the Japan map, but the title of the map said 'distribution of Toyota's operations outside of Japan' i believe. :smile:
Original post by makingamemory
did anyone do the ecosystems essay? :s-smilie: Not sure I've answered it correctly and would love to see what someone else had written!

glad someone els did the ecosystems essay! finally someone i could compare notes with well i focused on Madagascar what was your focus ?
Original post by makingamemory
Awww don't say that orographic rainfall was like one of the few things I could think of for altitude! Do you know why it is wrong?

Because it's not to do with the altitude *itself*...but rather, the shape of the land. :frown:
i did my essay on d+g(horrific question cuz it was on globalisation)
and my teacher never taught me to plan the essay at all so i argued for it including aisan tigers nics wto g8+5 tncs walmart taiwan and mattel, epz's fpz's china india trade as oposed to aid and how these charateristics of nics drive globalisation and a slight mention of ict, then to argue i said that medc's cotrol wto and enforce it, and are allowing tncs to locate to nics. Also talked bout political and economical interconnectedness. i also talked bout nics characteristics that have allowed them to manifest opportunities provided by companies to drive globalisation

then i did plates sq, found the first question tough but got continental fit, by the shelves, geology(mountains), sea floor spreading, mid ocean ridge and said convection current have in turn caused it
seconds q was alrite, geysers hot springs boiling mudvolcanoes fumaroles solfatara's
final q was very vague haha, just talked about the differences in anything with volcanoes on diverging plate margins and converging

the conflicts sq, first one was a bitch, felt that it was comprehension a bit haha, then the ones that followed on separatism were alright, used scotland, yugoslavia and south oesseita in those

how well i fared in this exam, was tough so i do not know
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by toofaforu

Original post by toofaforu
balls i've just realised i forgot to say on the front of the main booklet how many page i'd used...will this matter? also on the extra booklets i didn't write anything in the small section on the front but just went into the first full page, hope that doesn't matter at all...

Arrgh I did this too, glad to see i'm not the only one! All my booklets were attached together with a tag so I hope it doesn't matter. I have emailed the exam officer at school to check that it's ok so just waiting for a reply now!
Reply 1532
Original post by maxcartwright
i did that to. i guess if they wanted us to just describe they would have said that:confused:
I messed up in plate tec on margins but other than that i did ok.
no more geog for the rest of my life :eek::colone::frown:

I was thinking that as I walked out of the exam, then I realised I've got it for the next 3 years of my life cause I'm doing it at uni :L
Reply 1533
Original post by In_Infamy
Because it's not to do with the altitude *itself*...but rather, the shape of the land. :frown:

I would argue that relief rainfall is a valid statement. If a place is high up (there's your altitude for ya :^_^: ), then it is likely to be in a mountainous region, which will have a wet climate due to increased relief rainfall. Obviously there are counter arguments to this, but ala you include acknowledgement of that fact then I don't see how relief rainfall is not a fair statement.
Original post by Spr-y
I would argue that relief rainfall is a valid statement. If a place is high up (there's your altitude for ya :^_^: ), then it is likely to be in a mountainous region, which will have a wet climate due to increased relief rainfall. Obviously there are counter arguments to this, but ala you include acknowledgement of that fact then I don't see how relief rainfall is not a fair statement.

Yeah i can see what you mean but, straight from the geography book under the section of Altitude they want you to speak about the adiabatic lapse rate, the temperature change with height for a parcel of air which has no exchange of heat or moisture with the surrounding air. The three types being the environmental lapse rate, dry adiabatic lapse rate and saturated adiabatic lapse rate, and the temperature changes for each one of them with height. Thats the only thing in the book on altitude so i just wrote about that :/
Reply 1535
Original post by Josh.Holloway
Yeah i can see what you mean but, straight from the geography book under the section of Altitude they want you to speak about the adiabatic lapse rate, the temperature change with height for a parcel of air which has no exchange of heat or moisture with the surrounding air. The three types being the environmental lapse rate, dry adiabatic lapse rate and saturated adiabatic lapse rate, and the temperature changes for each one of them with height. Thats the only thing in the book on altitude so i just wrote about that :/

Hmm I mentioned the types of lapse rate in the 8 marker =]
I just didn't think that saying it gets colder with increased altitude was enough (10 mark question after all), so I put in stuff like relief rainfall because I see that to be a way in which altitude affects climate. I thought that was quite a tricky 10 marker (in that there was not much to say), wbu?
Original post by Spr-y
Hmm I mentioned the types of lapse rate in the 8 marker =]
I just didn't think that saying it gets colder with increased altitude was enough (10 mark question after all), so I put in stuff like relief rainfall because I see that to be a way in which altitude affects climate. I thought that was quite a tricky 10 marker (in that there was not much to say), wbu?

Yeah i thought it was quite a stupid question tbh, a question for 10 marks that the book only has about 6 lines on, and as you can see the book only talked about the lapse rates and changes in temperature in altitude, not really the overall climatic differences...i didnt really talk about anything else other than what i said because that was the only stuff i could think of that was strictly on the syllabus...silly david.
So, the 7-marker on Conflicts...was it only me who found themselves almost just repeating what the extract said! :L I think that I picked out these things anyway, historical origins<>territorial disputes, cultural origins, an external body trying to resolve, negotiations trying to resolve(that's all that I can remember anyway).

- Curtis
tbh i thought the january message was alot simpler than this one, the questions were not so vague. i mean the 40 markers alot more direct in what they asked
oh well 4B is 40% wtf -.-
Reply 1539
Sorry this might have been asked already but reading through has just confused me.
I did the WC essay and i wrote about city challenge, UDC's and site and service etc. People on here have said that they wrote about waste and transport management? does this mean i was wrong? this is quite worrying!!

I did the plate tectonis SQ and messed up the minor extrusive qs i wrote about normal extrusive! ggggrrr

The conflict SQ were ok though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending