The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fathead_09
can i ask how comes ya exams finished early? if it started at 1 shouldnt you finish at 3.30??x

x

I'm on GMT+8 and edexcel lets us finish our exam when it starts in the UK. So my exam was 6pm-8.30pm, or GMT: 11am-1.30pm.

Otherwise the test would have finished at 10.30pm :s-smilie:. Not nice!

Anyway I thought the energy and water questions were okay (very similar part Bs though) but the Maghreb was laaaaaame. Ah well...:frown:
Original post by Courage Wolf
sounds good, i did three rivers as well. but i feel like i should done something other than a rivers:confused:

I did:
West bank aquifers
The Nile (evaluated with the Danube)
Colorado river
The Aral sea
What do you guys reckon for grade boundaries? Lower than Jan since the superpowers/meghreb was kind of tough? :biggrin:
Anyone doing unit 4 this friday?
Reply 464
Original post by mischka_tay

I am. What topic are you doing? I'm doing Food.

yeah, i'm doing culture, seems pretty straightforward :smile:
Reply 466
Original post by Charlottieee
Did anyone else do Biodiversity and Water conflicts?
What case studies did you use?

I did both of them.
For biodiversity I talked about ex situ conservation and used Giant Pandas in China and the Breeding programme, the seed bank up in the Arctic, lions in Africa and Monkeys, and then in situ conservation and I talked about UNESCO protection, maintaining habitats and paper legislations where I mentioned how poaching rhinos and transporting products (CITES) still goes on even though it isn't meant to.

For water I used the Aral Sea, Euphrates River, Middle East, Nile, San Joaquin Delta and California.

I don't know if I did the right thing especially in the biodiversity section but here's to hoping. I feel a bit more confident though after what other people have put on here as at least its kind of the same.
Original post by naija_kyd_14
yeah, i'm doing culture, seems pretty straightforward :smile:

I'm also doing culture! Yeah the pre-release looks straight forward. What case studies have you done?
Also doing culture!

I have total of 7... 3 against, 2 for and 2 neutral (the resistance kind of thing)...and I still fear I did not expand the cases 'for' strong enough =s
Reply 469
I don't know what anyone else thought but that exam was fking awful.
And it's unit 4 on friday, all complete crap!
Original post by Louzilla
I don't know what anyone else thought but that exam was fking awful.
And it's unit 4 on friday, all complete crap!

I thought it was awful too! :frown:
The questions are so unexpected! Especially the super power questions about the theories. I read and I was like 'CRAP!'.

I managed to finish the whole paper but many bits that I wrote I didn't even know what I was talking about. :frown:
Original post by rylime
I am. What topic are you doing? I'm doing Food.

I am doing Food, too. :smile: Quite a good topic really. I have done a lot of research about it. I personally find that Unit 4 would easier than Unit 3.

I am. :smile:

yeah I am! what topic are you doing? I am doing human health and pollution
For the Unit 3 paper, did anyone do energy security and technological fix? and what did you guys think about the last question on the maghreb, the one with the crossroads? I thought that was the hardest question in the paper!
Reply 474
Original post by copito1993
and what did you guys think about the last question on the maghreb, the one with the crossroads? I thought that was the hardest question in the paper!

I think it was a really weird question but I don't think it was the hardest. The biodiversity B question has to be one of the hardest, didn't even know what it wanted.

I went on about that signpost at the beginning of the pre-release. I went on about it being pulled to Europe due to the Union of the Mediterranean and the view that went on about France and deals. But I said that they needed to be careful of exploitation which happened in other colonies. Oh and how it would help them because they might give them aid. Then I went on about being pulled towards the Middle East and I said how it might help because they have natural resources like oil which might be useful. But I said how they would have to be careful of terrorism which might cause problems with getting help from the Western World. Then I went on about being pulled to Africa and I said they might all be in a similar situation with other African countries if not in a better but they wouldn't get much help. In the conclusion I said it would be better for them to go towards Europe. I didn't think it was that bad but I did have to think about it before I started because I wasn't too sure when I first read it.
Reply 475
Original post by street.lovin'
I am doing Food, too. :smile: Quite a good topic really. I have done a lot of research about it. I personally find that Unit 4 would easier than Unit 3.

I'm doing food, what case studies are you planning on using?
I think I'm gonna use Australia, China, Sahel and a couple of more specific countries in the Sahel. And then USA and DRC as non-desertification ones.
Original post by re12
I'm doing food, what case studies are you planning on using?
I think I'm gonna use Australia, China, Sahel and a couple of more specific countries in the Sahel. And then USA and DRC as non-desertification ones.

Hmm, I am planning to do similar case studies to yours.

Desertification - Sahel, Australia (focused on dryland salinity) and USA (The American Desert).
Other causes of Food Insecurity - Darfur (Conflicts), Kalahandi in India (Poverty), Haiti (Natural Hazard)

Do you think thats enough? My teacher said that 6 case studies included in the report would put me in a safe place, however, she actually recommend us to put about 10-15 case studies in.. I basically 'politely' told her to **** off. -_-

I got a B in the mock. So I hope it will be ok. At least I am doing the right thing.
Reply 477
Original post by street.lovin'
Hmm, I am planning to do similar case studies to yours.

Desertification - Sahel, Australia (focused on dryland salinity) and USA (The American Desert).
Other causes of Food Insecurity - Darfur (Conflicts), Kalahandi in India (Poverty), Haiti (Natural Hazard)

Do you think thats enough? My teacher said that 6 case studies included in the report would put me in a safe place, however, she actually recommend us to put about 10-15 case studies in.. I basically 'politely' told her to **** off. -_-

I got a B in the mock. So I hope it will be ok. At least I am doing the right thing.

My teacher said the same thing, but with all the other stuff we've got to remember I think its unrealasitic to learn +8 case studies.

I've got 5 really good food case studies, so I'm hoping thats enough. I think as long as we cover: dryland + food insecure (Sahel / China), dryland + not food insecure (Australia), not dryland + food insecure (DCR and most of Sub Saharan Africa), plus then somewhere like USA (it has desertification and food insecurity but the insecurity is in urban areas so completely unrelated to desertification) we should be ok. :s-smilie:

Just hoping the question is better than any of yesterdays now!
Original post by Tabers
I think it was a really weird question but I don't think it was the hardest. The biodiversity B question has to be one of the hardest, didn't even know what it wanted.

I went on about that signpost at the beginning of the pre-release. I went on about it being pulled to Europe due to the Union of the Mediterranean and the view that went on about France and deals. But I said that they needed to be careful of exploitation which happened in other colonies. Oh and how it would help them because they might give them aid. Then I went on about being pulled towards the Middle East and I said how it might help because they have natural resources like oil which might be useful. But I said how they would have to be careful of terrorism which might cause problems with getting help from the Western World. Then I went on about being pulled to Africa and I said they might all be in a similar situation with other African countries if not in a better but they wouldn't get much help. In the conclusion I said it would be better for them to go towards Europe. I didn't think it was that bad but I did have to think about it before I started because I wasn't too sure when I first read it.

Thats good cause I went more or less in the same direction! so doubt its wrong! what topic are you doing for unit 4?
Reply 479
Original post by copito1993
Thats good cause I went more or less in the same direction! so doubt its wrong! what topic are you doing for unit 4?

I did unit 4 in January...I did culture then. I take it you're doing it this week...good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending