The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteveScott
Does pKa = pH?

nooooooooooooooo

pka= -logka

ka= 10^-pka
Original post by ViralRiver
Do we need to remember colours and oxidation states? What about redox equilibria such as MnO4 and Fe etc?

^^
Original post by SteveScott
Does pKa = pH?

pKa is basically just -log(Ka), its not pH.
the actual Ka calculation can be used to work out the pH if you work out the concentration of H+
Reply 1623
Original post by Flint_09
nooooooooooooooo

pka= -logka

ka= 10^-pka

hmmmmmm.....Are you sure?

Jokes :tongue:
Original post by asem93
NO! NO! NO! :eek:

Haha

I know pKa = -logKa , so 10^-pKa = Ka

Ka = [H+][A-]/[HA]

but i thought i saw something about pka being equal to pH for weak acids.....I dunno.
Reply 1625
Original post by ViralRiver
^^

Colours of common compounds
Reply 1626
Good Luck Everyone!!

Lets just hope its an easy paper
what are the cycles called that involve lattice enthalpy and enthalpy change of solution and do we have to know them??
Do we need to know tetrahedral complex metal ions??
Original post by Perky perks
what are the cycles called that involve lattice enthalpy and enthalpy change of solution and do we have to know them??

Yes

Born Haber cycles

It all depends on the reaction. If it gives a table, look at the enthalpy change values.
Reply 1630

They are a form of Born Haber cycle, you can also argue a bit like Hess' Law
Reply 1631
Original post by 123trident
actually, I'm a bit confused on free enrgy feasiblity. Can someone go throug all the options explaining them, please?

a reaction is feasiable only if the free gibs energy G is less than zero (so negative value).
This can only happen if the enthalpy H is negative and the entropy S is positive
or when enthalpy is positive and entropy positive (reaction will take place at low temperatuures only) or when enthalpy is negative and entropy is also negative.

these combinations all should lead to G being less than zero and hence reactions are feasiable

LOL was that confusing? sorry

they all follow equation G=H - ST
Reply 1632
does the ionic radius decrease as you move from left to right of periodic table?
Just done Jan 2011, got 72/100 which was a comfortable A it seems.

Does anyone know what the raw mark was for 100% UMS for Jan 2011, out of interest? :smile:
Reply 1634
Original post by susan23
a reaction is feasiable only if the free gibs energy G is less than zero (so negative value).
This can only happen if the enthalpy H is negative and the entropy S is positive
or when enthalpy is positive and entropy positive (reaction will take place at low temperatuures only) or when enthalpy is negative and entropy is also negative.

these combinations all should lead to G being less than zero and hence reactions are feasiable

LOL was that confusing? sorry

they all follow equation G=H - ST

When delta G is less than 0 !!
Original post by InsaneFandom
Do we need to know tetrahedral complex metal ions??

You need to know at least one of octohedral, tetrahedral and the flat one with four ligands, and at least one optical and stereoisomer, but I'd have thought two would be preferable.

they are another type of born-haber cycle, and yep i think we do need to know them.
Reply 1637
GOOD LUCK PEOPLE.... hopefully we get a good paper....
Original post by hiyarearl

Does anyone know what the raw mark was for 100% UMS for Jan 2011, out of interest? :smile:

Is that on the internet?
Reply 1639
Original post by hiyarearl

And believe it or not I got 72 as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending