The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Original post by volvicstar
what is the tetrahedral complex and what are the bond angles?

I think its Cu2+ with 4Cl-

bond angle 109.5
Reply 1681
Original post by asem93
Susan did you get my message earlier?

yaaa dude u quoted me by acci :wink: no poroblemooo
Reply 1682
Original post by asem93
Reactions involving Complex ions:

- Percipitation
- Substitution
- Redox

Any more?

Any chance you could give us the reactions, or tell us where to find them? Please.
Reply 1683
Original post by mandn
half a mole of acid reacts with half a mole of a base this then forms it's conjugate base and water, but when using a whole mole of acid and half a mole of base half a mole of acid doesn't react and forms a buffer with the half mole of it's conjugate base

thanks !!! :biggrin:
Bond angle of square planar?
Reply 1685
how does one write half equations from overall equations? whats an easy method...
Original post by susan23
WHAT THE ****!!! I DIDNT KNOW THAT!! looooooooooooooooooool

so what happens to the other half of the acid then??? reacts to form water?

A buffer solution is a solution of a weak acid and its conjugate base. It finds its own equilibrium depending on conditions. This is the acid disassociation constant, Ka.

HA (aq) <--> H+(aq) + A-(aq)
Ka =
[H+][conjugate base (represented by A-]
----------------------------------------------------
[Acid(represented by HA)]

When a small amount of acid is added the concentration of H+ increases. The equilibrium position shifts to the left, as the conjugate base reacts with MOST of the H+ ions to form the initial acid on the left hand side of the disassociation equation above.
When a small amount of an alkali is added concentration of OH- increases. MOST of these react with H+s already in the solution to form H2O, and more HA disassociates to restore pH
Reply 1687
Original post by INeedToRevise
Bond angle of square planar?

90 degrees
Original post by 123trident
I'm confused, when deltaG<0, the reaction is spontaneous and hence stable, but in the mark scheme of the jan 11 paper it says deltaG>0 is stable. Why is this?

If DeltaG<0 then the reaction is spontaneous and the compound is therefore unstable.
If DeltaG>0, then the reaction is not spontaneous, and the compound is stable, since it won't react spontaneously!
Octahedral - 90 degrees bond angles.

What are the bond angles for tetrahedral and square planar?
Reply 1690
Original post by SteveScott
A buffer solution is a solution of a weak acid and its conjugate base. It finds its own equilibrium depending on conditions. This is the acid disassociation constant, Ka.

HA (aq) <--> H+(aq) + A-(aq)
Ka =
[H+][conjugate base (represented by A-]
----------------------------------------------------
[Acid(represented by HA)]

When a small amount of acid is added the concentration of H+ increases. The equilibrium position shifts to the left, as the conjugate base reacts with MOST of the H+ ions to form the initial acid on the left hand side of the disassociation equation above.
When a small amount of an alkali is added concentration of OH- increases. MOST of these react with H+s already in the solution to form H2O, and more HA disassociates to restore pH

yeppp thank you very much!! :smile:
Original post by asem93
THIS!

im sorry whaaat?:lolwut:
Reply 1692
Original post by Twinkles
Octahedral - 90 degrees bond angles.

What are the bond angles for tetrahedral and square planar?

tet - 109.5
square - 90 deg
Reply 1693
Original post by Amit619
Any chance you could give us the reactions, or tell us where to find them? Please.

If you have the OCR Heinemann book

Page 207 (just learn the table)

Page 214-215 (Learn the 3 examples)

Page 218

BTW, I really recommend that everyone should learn the Redox of manganate with Iron example (literally parrot fashion)
how do we work out number of moles ? :frown:
I still cant write the rate determining step etc

FINGERS CROSSED IF ITS ON THE EXAM ITS NOMORE THAN 2 MARKS :sigh:
Reply 1696
Original post by KnuckleheadNinja
im sorry whaaat?:lolwut:

I just wanted to reiterate, if anyone could explain the formation of 02 in the specimen paper...
Reply 1697
Original post by goldlock
I'd learn the whole mess regarding thiosulfate titrations and the colour changes there, I have a hunch it might come up

What changes in colour are there with thiosulfate titrations?
Deduce the half-equation for the reaction that takes place at the positive electrode in a methanol fuel cell.
Jan 11
Some help me out pls
In cell potentials, why does the E potential increase for a copper half cell if you increase conc. of the Cu2+ ions? I know eqm shifts to the right due to le chatelier's principle, but why does the E potential increase? Electrons are being removed from the system right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending