The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature A - Love Through the Ages June 2011 Exam :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolly21
SNAP! i'm actually so nervous for the exam!! i don't know what more i can do towards it :frown:

Probably nothing more. Have a bath or walk the dog or go and do something fun. It's a skills based exam and you've got those by now, so rest, refresh and calm yourself ready for it.:smile:
[QUOTE=Cast.Iron;32183370

It makes me sound really arrogant but English Lit is one of those annoying subjects that no matter how hard you try at ticking those boxes, you can't get an A* without having 'flair.'

You're quite right. A, yes.
The fact that I have a very information-heavy exam on Thursday in the afternoon is not conducive to effective Lit revision.

I have done a Part B question today and now I will probably analyse some unseen extracts but I am conscious of not revising myself into the ground! These threads make me feel nervous.
Original post by Cast.Iron
The fact that I have a very information-heavy exam on Thursday in the afternoon is not conducive to effective Lit revision.

I have done a Part B question today and now I will probably analyse some unseen extracts but I am conscious of not revising myself into the ground! These threads make me feel nervous.

I think you should take a break, not only from revising but also from this thread! You are obviously a student who already has the skills needed (congratulations on those offers!) and even if you didn't have them, it's too late now! Hysteria can be catching, so don't let yourself get drawn in. You've obviously worked hard through the course and that's not going to vanish overnight. Get a good rest, do what you have to do for the other exam and try to stay fresh.:smile:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I think you should take a break, not only from revising but also from this thread! You are obviously a student who already has the skills needed (congratulations on those offers!) and even if you didn't have them, it's too late now! Hysteria can be catching, so don't let yourself get drawn in. You've obviously worked hard through the course and that's not going to vanish overnight. Get a good rest, do what you have to do for the other exam and try to stay fresh.:smile:

I think you're right. Ah thank you :biggrin:.

The only thing which I am concerned about really is my lack of quotations and the fact that I am counting on this exam for my 'necessary' A*. I'll brush up on some quotes tomorrow though because now I think I need sleep.
Reply 205
Original post by yasmin-alica
Pthaos you're so clever :smile:

I appreciate the compliment, but I'm in the same boat as everyone else here, worried about the exam! I need to get a reasonable A to get into my Uni of choice, so it's pretty high pressure (Seeing as I'm applying for English, I can't really drop a grade here!)

I find teaching is the best way of learning - It forces you to think about what you're talking about and write notes/give answers that you actually have to make sure are correct. That doesn't mean I know everything, just that when people ask questions, I try and answer as it gives me the prompt to go and research/revise that myself...

I hope reasonably easy extracts are picked... :frown:

Original post by Cast.Iron

I'm taking a Politics exam on the Thursday afternoon, I know what you mean about having an information heavy exam following. That's why I'm glad at least that English isn't so revision-y. (Though I wish the information heavy one was in the morning and English after) I'm planning on working most of tomorrow morning/afternoon on trying to analyse unseen extracts to get a bit more practice, but as you say there's really not much more that can be done without revising yourself into the ground. Going in there expecting to reel off literary terms won't work.

I appreciate your advice and contributions to this thread. You're obviously someone who thrives in a subject like English Lit, that's shown through the sense in which you talk, as well as your marks, so the best of luck to you on Thursday. I think I have been getting a bit too caught up in trying to methodically revise this and you're right - Flair is important. It's good to hear that from someone who's doing so well.

Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yes, you absolutely should NOT expect to start writing straight away. Planning is crucial and you'll get nowhere without understanding the extracts, which means reading them AT LEAST twice each.

Your advice has been invaluable as well - thank you for all your contributions as someone who teaches the subject! It's appreciated that you can offer advice to us even though you're not in a position where it's necessary to do so. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pthaos
I'm taking a Politics exam on the Thursday afternoon, I know what you mean about having an information heavy exam following. That's why I'm glad at least that English isn't so revision-y. (Though I wish the information heavy one was in the morning and English after) I'm planning on working most of tomorrow morning/afternoon on trying to analyse unseen extracts to get a bit more practice, but as you say there's really not much more that can be done without revising yourself into the ground. Going in there expecting to reel off literary terms won't work.

I appreciate your advice and contributions to this thread. You're obviously someone who thrives in a subject like English Lit, that's shown through the sense in which you talk, as well as your marks, so the best of luck to you on Thursday. I think I have been getting a bit too caught up in trying to methodically revise this and you're right - Flair is important. It's good to hear that from someone who's doing so well.

I agree, having the politics exam in the morning would be preferable. Alas, we're just going to have to deal with it!

Good luck to you and hopefully we both get what we want :smile:.
Original post by lolly21
SNAP! i'm actually so nervous for the exam!! i don't know what more i can do towards it :frown:

i can't wait for it to be over, but i never want it to come at the same time :s-smilie:
Reply 208
eek! I haven't done any timed full practise papers..do you think i should really do one?
I have done essays and done alright in them, but not under timed conditions.
It would probably be best to try one , so you can get the idea and feel for it under timed conditions tomorrow.
Hi everyone,
I've been trying to follow the advice of 30 mins planning and 45 mins writing per question, which has allowed me to come up with a lot of good points and ideas, but not enough time to write them. I'm averaging about two pages per question which doesn't feel long enough so i was wondering how much everyone else is writing per question under timed conditions?? Cheers :smile:
Original post by BatmanInDisguise
Hi everyone,
I've been trying to follow the advice of 30 mins planning and 45 mins writing per question, which has allowed me to come up with a lot of good points and ideas, but not enough time to write them. I'm averaging about two pages per question which doesn't feel long enough so i was wondering how much everyone else is writing per question under timed conditions?? Cheers :smile:

Yes to 30 mins planning and then in about 35 mins I can generally write about 4ish pages with 10 mins checking time :smile:
has anybody got anything on metaphysical poetry?
Original post by ashleighwhitehouse

Yep, Marvells ' To His Coy Mistress '
and John Donne's 'The Flea' , 'The Bait' and 'Sun Rising' are good ones :smile:
Reply 214
Original post by The_Jatt_Joker

Original post by The_Jatt_Joker
in every exam shakespeare has come up i can almost guarantee that it will come up this time

probably in Q2

...well thats just brilliant. oh wellll, its gotta be done.

Yes read some Donne. Particularly in relation to any themes about rejoicing in love, or the spiritual side to love.
Try 'A Fever' - for anything about death of a loved one - particularly good compared with Shakespeare sonnet 73
"The ecstacy" - for the spiritual side of love
"A valediction forbidding mourning" - rememberance of a loved one/ love after death
"The canonisation" possibly - a bit long winded though
Original post by pianofluteftw
Yes read some Donne. Particularly in relation to any themes about rejoicing in love, or the spiritual side to love.
Try 'A Fever' - for anything about death of a loved one - particularly good compared with Shakespeare sonnet 73
"The ecstacy" - for the spiritual side of love
"A valediction forbidding mourning" - rememberance of a loved one/ love after death
"The canonisation" possibly - a bit long winded though

i have got some metaphyiscal poetry, the thing is i don't know what to say about WHY it was incorporated.
i have got some metaphyiscal poetry, the thing is i don't know what to say about WHY it was incorporated.

Metaphysical poetry is good as it was written to give an argument in a lyric way. A quick google came up with
"Metaphysical poetry is concerned with the whole experience of man, but the intelligence, learning and seriousness of the poets means that the poetry is about the profound areas of experience especially - about love, romantic and sensual; about man's relationship with God - the eternal perspective, and, to a less extent, about pleasure, learning and art."

It is about the heightening of a sensation that means a person is compelled to persuade, argue or describe.
Original post by katielou1993
I haven't thought about doing this, genius idea. Thanks!

no problem :smile:
Reply 219
Can you refer to texts without quotes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending