The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:woo: EHEC! I haven't eaten a salad, tomato or cucumber in weeks! My parents won't let me eat that! Even now those mean cucumber-accusing people have given the all-clear. :frown:
I think I'm just going to buy and eat a salad today. Very secretly. :ninja:
You don't have EHEC in the UK, do you?

Original post by such_a_lady

Hey, I'm studying EHEC at college :biggrin:
Original post by Phia7
:woo: EHEC! I haven't eaten a salad, tomato or cucumber in weeks! My parents won't let me eat that! Even now those mean cucumber-accusing people have given the all-clear. :frown:
I think I'm just going to buy and eat a salad today. Very secretly. :ninja:
You don't have EHEC in the UK, do you?

In my German lessons we've been reading articles and discussing stuff: I was the only one who knew that E Coli is EHEC in German because I follow the German news on Twitter :ninja: because, if you haven't guessed by now, I'm obsessed with German :rolleyes:

I think a very small- I'm wanting to say eine geringe Prozentsatz, and I know that spelling looks dodgy- amount have it, like a couple of people? About 70 Year 7s are going to the Rhineland next week, parents are panicking :biggrin:
Reply 1102
In my German lessons we've been reading articles and discussing stuff: I was the only one who knew that E Coli is EHEC in German because I follow the German news on Twitter :ninja: because, if you haven't guessed by now, I'm obsessed with German :rolleyes:

I think a very small- I'm wanting to say eine geringe Prozentsatz, and I know that spelling looks dodgy- amount have it, like a couple of people? About 70 Year 7s are going to the Rhineland next week, parents are panicking :biggrin:

It would have to be "ein geringer Prozentsatz". The spelling's fine other than that :smile: So cool you want to do German. I got one of my American friends to take German in college too :biggrin::biggrin:

Also, EHEC really isn't even in the Rhineland, most cases were up north close to Hamburg and such.
So no need to panic. The Rhineland should be safe. And I never stopped eating veggies, and I'm fine as are all the people I know :smile: (Even the people I know that live close to Hamburg are completely healthy, so really, there isn't much to worry about)
Original post by MeeMee
It would have to be "ein geringer Prozentsatz". The spelling's fine other than that :smile: So cool you want to do German. I got one of my American friends to take German in college too :biggrin::biggrin:

Also, EHEC really isn't even in the Rhineland, most cases were up north close to Hamburg and such.
So no need to panic. The Rhineland should be safe. And I never stopped eating veggies, and I'm fine as are all the people I know :smile: (Even the people I know that live close to Hamburg are completely healthy, so really, there isn't much to worry about)

Well i am from Hamburg and one guy in my school got EHEC but he feels better now... So I guess it's more like a big hype. There are more people dying because of the flue each year, people should calm down :biggrin:
Original post by MeeMee

Original post by nightmare91
Well i am from Hamburg and one guy in my school got EHEC but he feels better now... So I guess it's more like a big hype. There are more people dying because of the flue each year, people should calm down :biggrin:

I know right. We had to tell our teacher what we'd advise parents to do, and one of the things I said was, you're not going to North Germany, chill out.

What's Hamburg like? :smile:
Oh yeah. You know how I said that one of my German teachers and Director of the Language College is helping me with Oxford? She's taking me on a whirlwind tour through German literature as well as helping me with the Admissions Tests. Now one of my English teachers who works together with the Head of Science (scary man) to be the Oxbridge Team (oh DEAR) in our school has decided to help me as well. She wants to have a meeting on Wednesday. Gosh, what a disappointment it'll be for all of them if I don't get the AS grades or when I don't get accepted. :rolleyes:
Gosh, what a disappointment it'll be for all of them if I don't get the AS grades or when I don't get accepted. :rolleyes:

This is what I worry about people I know at school/ home...especially if I don't even get the AS grades :frown:
Original post by Niki_girl
This is what I worry about people I know at school/ home...especially if I don't even get the AS grades :frown:

I know right! The number of applicants, let alone offer holders, in our college has been steadily decreasing over the years- a while ago, there used to be a couple of places every year: this Y13 just leaving had no acceptances: the year before, just one. Added to the fact that I'm the only Languages applicant in the whole college going for Oxbridge...some people are so convinced it's a sure thing, I keep trying to tell them it's not, that I have a 66% chance of being rejected!
I know right. We had to tell our teacher what we'd advise parents to do, and one of the things I said was, you're not going to North Germany, chill out.

What's Hamburg like? :smile:

Hamburg is beautiful :smile: I think it's better than Berlin but I am not biased or anything :biggrin: But if you go to Germany, you should def check Hamburg out, it's always worth a visit :smile:

And a fun fact about Hamburg: It is the city with the most bridges across all Europe. People think it would be Venice, but it's Hamburg, so if you like bridges, check it out :biggrin:
Hamburg is beautiful :smile: I think it's better than Berlin but I am not biased or anything :biggrin: But if you go to Germany, you should def check Hamburg out, it's always worth a visit :smile:

And a fun fact about Hamburg: It is the city with the most bridges across all Europe. People think it would be Venice, but it's Hamburg, so if you like bridges, check it out :biggrin:

I've been to the Rhineland once and three times to Stuttgart- I want to see everything else! Can't wait for the bridges, thanks for the recommendations :wink:
Reply 1110
I know right! The number of applicants, let alone offer holders, in our college has been steadily decreasing over the years- a while ago, there used to be a couple of places every year: this Y13 just leaving had no acceptances: the year before, just one. Added to the fact that I'm the only Languages applicant in the whole college going for Oxbridge...some people are so convinced it's a sure thing, I keep trying to tell them it's not, that I have a 66% chance of being rejected!

My school has only ever (ever!) sent one person to Oxford - and he dropped out after a year.

I told one teacher I wanted to apply, and she got me to enter some oxford comp. I got second so now the whole school knows that I'm applying. They all assume I'll definitely get in because nobody has any idea of how competitive it really is. I'm now in the situation where my headmaster, my friends, teachers etc all know i want to apply and are all naively convinced I'll get accepted.

I hate dissapointing people and I'm dreading it if the highly likely outcome that I do get rejected comes about. Not so much personally as I'd also really love to go to Edinburgh but I'd just feel like a complete failure and that I'd let everyone down.

(sorry, its been bugging me lately! It makes it all even more stressful and pressured)
Original post by candide
My school has only ever (ever!) sent one person to Oxford - and he dropped out after a year.

I told one teacher I wanted to apply, and she got me to enter some oxford comp. I got second so now the whole school knows that I'm applying. They all assume I'll definitely get in because nobody has any idea of how competitive it really is. I'm now in the situation where my headmaster, my friends, teachers etc all know i want to apply and are all naively convinced I'll get accepted.

I hate dissapointing people and I'm dreading it if the highly likely outcome that I do get rejected comes about. Not so much personally as I'd also really love to go to Edinburgh but I'd just feel like a complete failure and that I'd let everyone down.

(sorry, its been bugging me lately! It makes it all even more stressful and pressured)

Oh you poor thing! What competition was this?

And i knowwww! They all say things like "Oh you'll definitely do it, there's no way you won't get in" and I'm like, GUYS! Seriously! It's bad enough for us if we have to deal with that disappointment, but even worse when so many expectations are resting on this ONE acceptance... They don't realise that there are so many people smarter than me, better-read than me, etc.

Hey, I'm applying to Edinburgh too! What's your course?
Reply 1112
Oh you poor thing! What competition was this?

And i knowwww! They all say things like "Oh you'll definitely do it, there's no way you won't get in" and I'm like, GUYS! Seriously! It's bad enough for us if we have to deal with that disappointment, but even worse when so many expectations are resting on this ONE acceptance... They don't realise that there are so many people smarter than me, better-read than me, etc.

Hey, I'm applying to Edinburgh too! What's your course?

It was this:

http://www.st-hildas.ox.ac.uk/index.php/news/

I'm obviously very happy =D but it does ratchet up the pressure a bit...

Yeah, I had the same problem with debating comps. Like you'd get knocked out and everyone'd be astonished. I dunno - maybe people just forget that while you might be the best in your particular school, in the real world, you're against all the other people who are best.

Ehm, I wanna apply to PPE at Oxford. But at Edinburgh, Maths or something. (it sounds crazy, I know, but I'll decide properly soon enough) I'm going to the open day this friday. Can't wait! =]
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by candide
It was this:

http://www.st-hildas.ox.ac.uk/index.php/news/

I'm obviously very happy =D but it does ratchet up the pressure a bit...

Yeah, I had the same problem with debating comps. Like you'd get knocked out and everyone'd be astonished. I dunno - maybe people just forget that while you might be the best in your particular school, in the real world, you're against all the other people who are best.

Ehm, I wanna apply to PPE at Oxford. But at Edinburgh, Maths or something. (it sounds crazy, I know, but I'll decide properly soon enough) I'm going to the open day this friday. Can't wait! =]

I'm super-impressed that you wrote about languages, very nice! That prize must have been helpful :wink:

Ohhh, tell me what it's like. I live in South East England and can't go :frown:

Ohh, you're from the Outer Hebrides?! Your accent must be amazing...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Brand New Eyes
So... is there anyone NOT applying for PPE?

I looked at the page just now and appearantly, 239 of PPE applicants were succesful and they made up 16.5 percent of the total applicants, which means that about 1,449 people applied.

If we compare to other programs (Chemistry, anyone?), since 189 applicants are accepted and 37.1 percent of the total applicants were succesful, this means that only about 509 people applied.

Now look at Materials Science, where 29 applicants where accepted and they made up 35.1 percent of the applicants, which shows that only about 83 people applied.

Clearly, there are many more PPE applicants than Chem or Materials Science, but that's not bad, because there are many more positions available. :smile:
Original post by yadiraycc
I looked at the page just now and appearantly, 239 of PPE applicants were succesful and they made up 16.5 percent of the total applicants, which means that about 1,449 people applied.

If we compare to other programs (Chemistry, anyone?), since 189 applicants are accepted and 37.1 percent of the total applicants were succesful, this means that only about 509 people applied.

Now look at Materials Science, where 29 applicants where accepted and they made up 35.1 percent of the applicants, which shows that only about 83 people applied.

Clearly, there are many more PPE applicants than Chem or Materials Science, but that's not bad, because there are many more positions available. :smile:

yes, I am very well acquainted with the prospectus thanks.
Reply 1116
Original post by yadiraycc

And you may also realize that 16.5 percent and 37.1 percent are not the same, so PPE is in fact more competitive even if there are more places available for PPE.
Original post by MeeMee
And you may also realize that 16.5 percent and 37.1 percent are not the same, so PPE is in fact more competitive even if there are more places available for PPE.

But the most competitive is still E&M with an acceptance rate of 7.6% :biggrin: But that rather scares me... Especially since my college only takes in 4 for E&M every year :frown:
For those of you who know which college you are going to apply to, what made you reach that decision? :smile:
Reply 1119
But the most competitive is still E&M with an acceptance rate of 7.6% :biggrin: But that rather scares me... Especially since my college only takes in 4 for E&M every year :frown:

Well, I always try to think of these things like this: Four people will have to be those four, so it could as well be me. Or you in that case, since I'm not applying to either Merton or E&M.

Latest

Trending

Trending