The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by skipp
Wow that sounds so cool! I love Dio :hugs: unfortunately I really can't deal with all this 3D technology :erm:

2D please :shakecane:

The staff onboard are mostly the same, so we can only hope that it'll merely be an improved (HD) rendition of its predecessor. :tongue:
Reply 1201
Sup guys! Any Naruto manga followers here? :biggrin:
Original post by skipp
Wow that sounds so cool! I love Dio :hugs: unfortunately I really can't deal with all this 3D technology :erm:

2D please :shakecane:

Meh, at least it shows GONZO's finally moving towards updating their animation (even if its a move in the wrong direction). I look at their first project (Blue Sub No. 6) and then at Kurogane no Linebarrels a decade on, and the CG hasn't become any less obvious. :o:
Reply 1203
Original post by Aiko
The staff onboard are mostly the same, so we can only hope that it'll merely be an improved (HD) rendition of its predecessor. :tongue:

Let's hope so :yep:

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Meh, at least it shows GONZO's finally moving towards updating their animation (even if its a move in the wrong direction). I look at their first project (Blue Sub No. 6) and then at Kurogane no Linebarrels a decade on, and the CG hasn't become any less obvious. :o:

I kinda like a lot of what Gonzo currently do to be honest :o: might not be perfect but I've never had much issue with the animation style of any of the series' I've personally watched that they've done
Reply 1204
Original post by skipp
I kinda like a lot of what Gonzo currently do to be honest :o: might not be perfect but I've never had much issue with the animation style of any of the series' I've personally watched that they've done

As I've mentioned before (in one of my reviews, I believe), Gonzo are very much like a pendulum in that their production varies considerably. They've produced some of the best animated series I've seen (Last Exile is one such series), but equally have produced the likes of Dragonaut... :erm:
Reply 1205
Original post by Aiko
As I've mentioned before, Gonzo are very much like a pendulum in that their production varies considerably. They've produced some of the best animated series I've seen (Last Exile is one such series), but equally have produced the likes of Dragonaut... :erm:

Can't say I've seen dragonaut...or even heard of it :erm: maybe I should hunt it down for balance
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1206
Ive thought about checking out Draonaut but then though otherwise:erm:

Original post by AngryJellyfish

:rofl:

:hmpf: what else would she be drawing attention to
(edited 12 years ago)

No worries! You've picked some interesting stuff there, and I can see why you'd wonder. So... um... hmmmm. What I liked about those five?

Gargoyle of the Yoshinagas, I've only seen the first episode of (at Aberanime, natch). I was just sick of everything I'd had to leave unrated on my a-p page, so that's a provisional rating based on the first episode. From what I recall, I found the character design pleasing, and the animation smooth. I really enjoyed the way that the characters spoke over one another in a domestic scene, because it felt less staged than most anime conversation. I thought the little girl seemed believable, and potentially a good protagonist. And I really, really enjoyed the fact that they'd done their research. A part of the episode was to do with a guide dog that hadn't barked to warn the family when somebody broke into the house. The first thing I thought when I heard that was "but that would go against everything it's trained to do!" Which turned out to be the solution of the episode. I also thought the scene where the child of the family went out pretending to be blind so that she could trust the dog again was incredibly sweet and well-handled.
I guess I remember it better than I thought. :tongue: For all I know, it goes downhill fast, but it seemed like a great first episode.

GoShogun: The Time Etranger seems like a pretty special film to me. GoShogun itself never made it into the English-speaking market, so I've got no base of reference. I enjoyed the character design and the obvious period charm, as a modern anime fan, and the characters spoke about their previous lives in a pretty accessible way - I felt like they could stand for any standard Group Of Big Damn Heroes. I think I enjoyed the plot for similar reasons to Watchmen - I mean, in real life, it's not like heroes totally get put on a pedestal for the rest of their lives. They get old, and ill, and die. I enjoyed the way the tension built throughout the film, and the way the different parts of the story intertwined. The penultimate scene made me cry and cry and cry. I thought the extended metaphors were extremely elegant. There was one thing I didn't like - though I understand why they didn't show an aged Revy, I wish they'd aged the other characters a bit better. I still couldn't bring myself to rate the film any lower, though - I kind of wanted to try and swing the average up so that more people would watch it.
Oh, and I also subsequently studied a book on my Postmodern Genres module which had almost exactly the same plot, except all the characters were dickheads. :tongue:

The Star of Cottonland... I have next to no idea why I liked that film so much. I think it's partly to do with carrying an extended metaphor very well, like Wolf's Rain. I found the character designs very appealing, and I liked the sensitivity with which they approached the character flaws of the main human character. I know the plot meandered all over the place, but I guess that's from condensing a longer manga into a one-shot piece? I felt like it was such an innocent sort of film that I didn't mind that it never exactly went anywhere. It just pleased me. :smile:

Project A-Ko I could watch all day. I love the character designs, and the stupidness of the plot - which is a mite more original and fun than it pretends to be, to boot. I found the big reveal completely hilarious, and I think that as a whole it could be viewed as a quite solid sort of feminist tract. I came for the cheap VHS, I stayed for the important piece of anime history (in the west, at least). I've seen it three times in the last few months, and I'm not tired of it yet. Oh, and the dub is completely and utterly dippy, which I think may have added to my enjoyment.

I am now completely and utterly confused about which version of Bungaku Shoujo was shown by the treasurer in her screening. AJ, that doesn't look like what I remember watching. I don't think anybody ate any books in the one we saw. :frown:

Also, I'll finish Last Exile when I have a computer to watch it on! XD I'm watching either DVDs with my girlfriend, or streaming on my brother's Mac right now. :tongue: Hence Tiger and Bunny, the plot of which is improving at the same rate that the animation budget per episode decreases. :tongue:

- Pips
OH AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING A CLASSY HARDCORE FAN AND STILL LIKING BLEACH. :mad:

- Pips
I like Hentai :wink:
Reply 1210
Original post by Pippin4242

OH AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING A CLASSY HARDCORE FAN AND STILL LIKING BLEACH. :mad:

- Pips

:shock:Hey slow down a second, no one said anything about "LIKING" it! It stood out to me because Ive heard nothing good about the series recently. Nothing encouraging me to resume it at some point.:erm:
Gargoyle of the Yoshinagas... I guess I remember it better than I thought. :tongue: For all I know, it goes downhill fast, but it seemed like a great first episode.

But not well enough to comment on the awesome voice acting of the titular Gargoyle? :frown:
Vin, I just haven't the heart to mark it as stalled. :tongue: It's one I watch with my girlfriend - we're more than a year behind, I think, but we're in this for the long haul.

AJ, I'm sorry. I enjoyed your favourite gentleman voicing a stone dog. :biggrin:

- Pips
Reply 1213

- Pips

:slap:

I collect the bleach manga :yes:

:excited: volume 12 of Hayate the combat butler arrived today. It's been out of stock for months, another "£50+ from the marketplace out of print normally" viz special, but I put in an "order now and get when in stock" order on amazon, and a few days ago it came back in stock.

So now I have all of the current volumes.

Skip beat however continues to have at least 3 volumes I need out of stock, so for now it's no longer being collected :unimpressed:
Reply 1214

- Pips

:rofl:This part. You wear a monocle and top hat while you drool over your hug pillow.:yes:
Reply 1215
I thought I'd watch a yaoi for its story and decided to watch Winter Cicada. It was pretty good actually. It takes the forbidden love between the men to another level where it's not just their gender, but also their social status, clan and period of time were making their relationship almost taboo. A Romeo and Juliet style sort of love. :3
The yaoi parts were more than satisfying too. :colondollar: The first (of three) episode didn't have any yaoi actions, but that episode was more for telling the story first.
Reply 1216
Current one piece arc...cant unhear the fact that sabo's dad has brooks voice... also sabo is a younger, much better dressed naruto.:erm:
Reply 1217
Original post by ella37
I thought I'd watch a yaoi for its story and decided to watch Winter Cicada. It was pretty good actually. It takes the forbidden love between the men to another level where it's not just their gender, but also their social status, clan and period of time were making their relationship almost taboo. A Romeo and Juliet style sort of love. :3
The yaoi parts were more than satisfying too. :colondollar: The first (of three) episode didn't have any yaoi actions, but that episode was more for telling the story first.

:puke:
Reply 1218
Guess who's up to date with one piece.:proud:
Reply 1219
Original post by Keoje
:puke:

:ahee: I guess that didn't come out quite as well as I thought. Haha.
Don't hate on yaoi. :tongue:

Latest