The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Guys lets make the Unofficial Mark Scheme Mk1
Please say if you have things to add, modify, or correct (theres lots!) :smile:

?)definition of lattice enthalpy: Energy given out when one mole of an ionic compound is formed from its constituent gaseous ions.[2]
?)Why is hydration enthalpy for Cl- exothermic? Bonds formed with deltaH+ on water molecules, heat given out.
?)Born Haber diagram of Enthalpy of solution, hydration, lattice enthalpy. 4 stages, incomplete answers: Mg2+(g) + 2Cl-(aq), Mg2+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) [2]
?)
?)
graph question. Marks for calculating 3 half lives, ~200s, stating that constant half life means its 1st order. State that methanoic acid in excess, so [methanoic] is constant and can be disregarded in the rate equation. calculate k, answer and units= ?? s^-1
?)
?)
?)
?)
?)Magic tang question: use lactic acid because its pKa is close to our desired pH (within one unit), so it buffers better. I used henderson hasselbach equation, pKa = pH + log [A-]/[HA] or you can use the ka expression to work out [A-]/[HA], which (I got) ~0.49
I think it will be tangy because the buffering range (+/- 1 pH unit of pKa) certainly ecompasses the tangy pH of 3.55
?)
?)
?)
?)
?)
?)monomer unit for the complex ion polymer

?)

?)

?)

?)

?)

?) % of Cu in Brass question
Equations with state symbols:
Cu (s) + 4HNO3 (l) --> Cu(NO3)2 (aq) + 2NO3- (aq) + 2NO + 2H2O
Cu2+ + 2I- (aq) --> CuI (s) + 0.5 I2 (aq)
(one more which i can't rememebr)
n(Cu) = 0.5n(I2) = n(S2O3)
titre of 24.98 x 10^-3 cm^3 or summin, 0.1moldm^-3, n (S2O3)=that, so n(Cu) = 24.98 x 10^-3 cm^3
so m(Cu) = nM = 24.98 x 10^-3 * 63.5 = 1.59 g of Cu in 2.8g or summin brass.
% by mass= 67 point something percent, it asked to 1dp.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2101
58/100 = A

plus a tangy sweet as compensation for mental torture.
Original post by dan_dan_dan
I'll be happy with half marks. Drew a wizard on the magic tang question, only relevant thing I could think of.

I left an note in the paper towards the examiner pleading with him/her to slip in a couple of marks my way. Not going to happen though.:frown:
Original post by pavan pong
is anybody going to put up a mark scheme or something

workin on it, help out! :wink:
Original post by pavan pong
it didnt say it was endothermic did it? it said it took place at zero so must it be exo as it requires no energy

Exactly what i thought
Original post by abloomfield
i got 33.8% hmm.. The ionic equation for stage 4 was just next

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats what i got
Reply 2106
I thought the Br was a second order? :| !!!! Is that wrong!?!? It didnt have a constant half life did it?
Reply 2107
Original post by Thuzz
sooo...
i failed that nicely

f324 retake next week better be merciful

This & my physics re-sit is my last hope...
Original post by Rickesh
I thought the Br was a second order? :| !!!! Is that wrong!?!? It didnt have a constant half life did it?

It did I'm afraid, ~200s :frown:
Original post by susan23
Same ...actually believe it or not...i'm crying here just staring at the computer....93 is pretty low! You'll make it :smile:

i thought i was the only one, cant believe an exam actually brought me to tears :frown:
Reply 2110
Original post by Flint_09

I got that too !!
Original post by Student21
I left an note in the paper towards the examiner pleading with him/her to slip in a couple of marks my way. Not going to happen though.:frown:

PROPER LOL'ed now
Reply 2112
From wikipedia: There are many different bronze alloys but modern bronze is typically 88% copper and 12% tin

Then I suppose my answer of 3.38% isn't correct.
Original post by Kalamari Dave
Guys lets make the Unofficial Mark Scheme Mk1
Please say if you have things to add, modify, or correct (theres lots!) :smile:

?)definition of lattice enthalpy: Energy given out when one mole of an ionic compound is formed from its constituent gaseous ions.[2]
?)Why is hydration enthalpy for Cl- exothermic? Bonds formed with deltaH+ on water molecules, heat given out.
?)Born Haber diagram of Enthalpy of solution, hydration, lattice enthalpy. 4 stages, incomplete answers: Mg2+(g) + 2Cl-(aq), Mg2+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) [2]
?)
?)
graph question. Marks for calculating 3 half lives, ~200s, stating that constant half life means its 1st order. State that methanoic acid in excess, so [methanoic] is constant and can be disregarded in the rate equation. calculate k, answer and units= ?? s^-1
?)
?)
?)
?)
?)Magic tang question: use lactic acid because its pKa is close to our desired pH (within one unit), so it buffers better. I used henderson hasselbach equation, pKa = pH + log [A-]/[HA] or you can use the ka expression to work out [A-]/[HA], which (I got) ~0.49
I think it will be tangy because the buffering range (+/- 1 pH unit of pKa) certainly ecompasses the tangy pH of 3.55
?)
?)
?)
?)
?)
?)monomer unit for the complex ion polymer

?)

For the repeat unit I think you need:
Complex ion with 4 waters and the weird ligand thing
All inside square brackets with the charge
All inside curly brackets (like in the question) with an n for the repeak unit
the exam was really hard and on the last q if i read it propely could have got a few marks. i forgot to divide the moles for sodium thiosulfate by 2 as cu was only one mole
Reply 2115
Original post by Kalamari Dave
It did I'm afraid, ~200s :frown:

I didnt get that, nor did a few people I asked, they said its not a first order, as it didnt have a constant half life. when i worked it out i didnt get a constant half life?
Original post by Flint_09

so did I !!! but I heard in real life brass has approx 60% of cupper lol
Original post by Rickesh

I got 2nd order aswell, because it didnt have a constant half life --the time went from around 190 to 400 which means it hasnt doubled = no constant half life?

I may be wrong though?
Reply 2118
Well, I think I got about 55ish mark in this paper. Hopefully that'll equate to at least a high C. My mind just went blank and I swear a lot of the stuff I've never seen before. GG OCR.
Guys, if you write down a load of correct working and the correct answer but cross out the right answer and some of the working and put down a wrong answer instead, do you think you get to keep a few of those marks? I shot myself in the foot like that on the final question, so annoyed.. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending