The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

At the end of the day, it's in the past now, you've just got to prevent it from having a detriment to your other exams. Jan 2011 paper was 61% for an A, I thought that was a harder paper than the Jan one personally, but we shall see!
Reply 2521
Original post by LilacTweet
I got this, and a lot of people I know got this. I would've got 76% except going back to the orginal equation in the first step there were half the number of moles in that. so I divided my mole by two and got a smaller mass.... however my chemistry is poor so I have a feeling 67ish% was right....hopefully we'll just lose one mark for that mistake though? :/

Yep hopefully got a few marks there somewhere. Im sure i got atleast 1 or 2 of the equations wrong.. they were wierd!
Didnt times by 2 for the hydration thing so lost it there too :frown:
Thought it went ok, but not anymore
Reply 2522
Original post by haydyb123
At the end of the day, it's in the past now, you've just got to prevent it from having a detriment to your other exams. Jan 2011 paper was 61% for an A, I thought that was a harder paper than the Jan one personally, but we shall see!

How did you find it?! Omg i rememberd what you taught me about the strong and weak acid for acid base pairs.. that the strong acid will lose the H! :smile:
so ......F324 24th june....uh oh
Reply 2524
I've always been a Starmix man myself anyway.
Reply 2525
poverty ocr.jpg
Reply 2526
This was a hard paper but at the end of the day it was all on the spec or obviously strech and challenge, so yea hope for low grade boundaries but to say its on the same level as the bio was is just not true..
Reply 2527
Magic tang was in fact quite easy. Choose the acid with a pKa value closest to the desired pH (so lactic acid).

Ka=[H+][A]HAKa = \frac{[H^+][A-]}{HA}

Rearrange to get the ratio of acid to salt:

[HA][A]=[H+]Ka\frac{[HA]}{[A-]} = \frac{[H^+]}{Ka}

Where:

[H+]=10pH [H^+] = 10^{-pH}

And:

Ka=10pKaKa = 10^{-pKa} of the chosen acid.

The ratio was 2.02 : 1 if you chose lactic acid, so the concentration of the acid had to be approximately double that of its salt.
Reply 2528
Original post by clemencyb
i heard back saying that if a significant proportion of the cohort complains a review of the paper will be undertaken.Everyone complain pls...there isnt the material available to prepare and the lack of timing skews results in favour of those with extra time - as it was impossible to finish

[email protected]

http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/

PLEASE COMPLAIn guys!!!!
Could anyone go through the hydration one? I got confused when there was another arrow under the lattice enthalpy.....
Original post by BA1
Magic tang was in fact quite easy. Choose the acid with a pKa value closest to the desired pH (so lactic acid).

Ka=[H+][A]HAKa = \frac{[H^+][A-]}{HA}

Rearrange to get the ratio of acid to salt:

[HA][A]=[H+]Ka\frac{[HA]}{[A-]} = \frac{[H^+]}{Ka}

Where:

[H+]=10pH [H^+] = 10^{-pH}

And:

Ka=10pKaKa = 10^{-pKa} of the chosen acid.

The ratio was 2.02 : 1 if you chose lactic acid, so the concentration of the acid had to be approximately double that of its salt.

Yep just realised that about 10 minutes ago, I left this question to last so I rushed it in a few mins so didn't think it through properly.
After you have your ratios is that all you had to?
Reply 2531
is anyone putting up the paper...i thought someone had it
Stop complaining! It was hard YES. But it was hard for EVERYONE and it challenged people of all abilities. Atleast it was fair, unlike the biology exam
Original post by Rosi M
How did you find it?! Omg i rememberd what you taught me about the strong and weak acid for acid base pairs.. that the strong acid will lose the H! :smile:

I'm glad, that means my help was worthwhile which consoles me! :biggrin:

On the subject of the exam, I was stumped by the Buffers or infamous 'Magic Tang' question, I thought we were missing a piece of information. Got the last answer by complete fluke as 67.5%... messed up the Gibbs free energy, i found T delta S and then just proceeded not to find delta S from this and just substituted T delta S into the equation...

But other than that, I have no idea how i've done! Needed 86% for an A overall, doubt I got that.
Reply 2534

PLS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Question paper someone I really need it
Reply 2535
OHNO!CR
Reply 2536
I did benzene for the buffers one said add in sodium benzanoate to generate the conjugate base c6h5c00-. and then worked out the ratio to be 0.23 using. [H+]= Ka * [C6H5COO] / [C6H5COONa] ? maybe 3 or 4 marks perhaps?
Reply 2537
Original post by CoventryCity
Yep just realised that about 10 minutes ago, I left this question to last so I rushed it in a few mins so didn't think it through properly.
After you have your ratios is that all you had to?

Yes, I believe it just asked for the ratio of the concentrations needed.

You also had to write equations for the preparation of the buffer.

CH3COHCOOH+NaOH>CH3COHCOONa++H2O[br][br] CH_3COHCOOH + NaOH -> CH_3COHCOO^{-}Na^{+} + H_2O[br][br]

It's important to say it's only partially neutralised, with an excess of the acid.
Anyone know the answer for the % of copper in the alloy?
Original post by susan23
poverty ocr.jpg

proper LOLED

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending