The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flywithemma
Hehe it's AQA. Although I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile: I'm also sure the people I know (me included) will do a good enough job at dropping the boundaries on our own :tongue:
Weirdly (or, possibly, stupidly) I'm not THAT worried about the essay. Just those evil translations

Yeah, I have a very similar attitude to you...I really just need to learn quotes. Are you doing AQA (spec B??) Pastoral/Gothic? If so, what texts are you doing?

I have the same exams as you this week as well, OCR English though. But agree completely on the translations for French; at least for the essay you can prepare a lot of stuff that can be used whatever title comes up, but the translations always use ridiculous vocab which I simply don't remember! :s-smilie:
Original post by riotgrrl
No, I'm doing WJEC, gotta do Lyrical Ballads and Hamlet/The Revenger's Tragedy

I'm doing WJEC Law, it makes me sad :frown:
Hehe it's AQA. Although I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile: I'm also sure the people I know (me included) will do a good enough job at dropping the boundaries on our own :tongue:
Weirdly (or, possibly, stupidly) I'm not THAT worried about the essay. Just those evil translations

We can just hope that we'll become fluent French listeners, readers and writers overnight! :biggrin:
See.. I don't know what to think of the essay. I think as long as I get an alright question, and I actually answer it correctly I should be okay. But I have a feeling my grammar will let me down! :grin: I hate those little translations though, I can only ever get about 7 or 8 out of 20. I just can't seem to choose the words that they want! :colondollar:

That quote could come back to haunt me if I end up missing my offer. I DID drop Maths, against the advice of my teachers who told me I'd get an A in it...ahh. Oh well. I don't think I'd have been able to cope with four/all the hard maths. I just like simultaneous equations :colondollar:

Anyway good luck!

My bad.. I'll take my comment back. You'll be fine! I suppose technically the exam isn't that challenging if you take your time to actually think it through rather than racing to do one thing, and then realise you have nothing else to write about, or you weren't really listening to the mp3 properly. It's only really the vocab that could trip us up, but you could always guess? I mean in the listening and reading, the answers are all there and we're just picking from them, so there's a chance that even if we didn't know the answer, just guessing could give us more potential marks!
Have you been learning phrases off by heart to put into the essay?
I thought having an offer would be THE ultimate motivation ever...I guess I thought wrong. :frown:

What exams do you have? I have English Lit Thursday morning (which luckily I THINK I only need about a C in to get an A because I did well on my coursework) and then French Friday afternoon, for which I am truly terrified. Translations are just so impossible :frown: Basically me making my Oxford offer all depends on if the paper is nice :cry2:

I have the same English exam on Thursday morning, and I need a C as well (thank God!), but I'm terrified about having to know quotes by heart! Especially as my English teacher decided we'd do The Pardoner's Tale - old English is just not English. To make it worse I've got a government exam a couple of hours afterwards. But then it'll aaaall be over and I can spend my holidays panicking about results:rolleyes:
Original post by marieparis22
I have the same English exam on Thursday morning, and I need a C as well (thank God!), but I'm terrified about having to know quotes by heart! Especially as my English teacher decided we'd do The Pardoner's Tale - old English is just not English. To make it worse I've got a government exam a couple of hours afterwards. But then it'll aaaall be over and I can spend my holidays panicking about results:rolleyes:

We're doing Tess of the D'Urbervilles, She Stoops to Conquer, Blue Remembered Hills and the post 1945 poetry. Yey the pastoral! I'm ok with quotes for 3 of them, but then She Stoops I'm a bit iffy with...great, seeing as it's the one we HAVE to write about somewhere. I'm glad there's a choice of 3 section B questions, hopefully means there's going to be at least one nice one.

And YEY. I can't wait till Friday. Although none of my friends will have finished yet, so I'll have to try not to be tooo smug :colondollar:

Original post by brendan.

Have you been learning phrases off by heart to put into the essay?

Erm...not really. I have a sort of set introduction which I kind of know (vaguely) and can apply to any question. There are also a couple of ways I have in mind to shoehorn the subjunctive and a conditional perfect/pluperfect si clause in...but not really. From doing past papers (well, the 2 which exist :tongue:) I always seem to have quite a while left to do the essay, so I'll spend a longgg time planning. What cultural topics are you doing? We did Tartuffe by Moliere and then Mai 68, and I'm writing about the latter because history is just so much simpler to write about in French than literature! Well for me anyway.

Erm...not really. I have a sort of set introduction which I kind of know (vaguely) and can apply to any question. There are also a couple of ways I have in mind to shoehorn the subjunctive and a conditional perfect/pluperfect si clause in...but not really. From doing past papers (well, the 2 which exist :tongue:) I always seem to have quite a while left to do the essay, so I'll spend a longgg time planning. What cultural topics are you doing? We did Tartuffe by Moliere and then Mai 68, and I'm writing about the latter because history is just so much simpler to write about in French than literature! Well for me anyway.

I've got an introduction which should fit most scenarios too, and then I've just learnt a few sentences with the subjunctive in, or some personal response which I can include if I get a bit stuck. But in the flow of writing the essay I'll probably not use them. It'll sound too 'jointy' otherwise.. is that a word? :colondollar: Yeah, I generally manage to do the reading relatively quickly so I give myself more time to plan, which I definitely will do, because in the AS exam, I vaguely made a plan, but I generally just rushed into the essay, and then I couldn't structure my time very well! :biggrin:
We studied 'Le Petit Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, and Jeunet as a director. We did learn about Mai 68 originally but our teacher decided to leave it because the previous year 13's found it difficult to 'connect' with. I'm going to do Jeunet in the exam I think. There's more to talk about if I get lost I think, and because it's in the category with a painter etc. there's a limited number of things they could ask.. I hope! :biggrin:
Reply 1706
Original post by itsmeanna
no lincoln people? just accepted my unconditional for english there... was it a dreadful mistake? will i be walking the ivy covered halls alone weeping into a dickens volume?

I'm a Lincoln person!!!!!! English too. I can't wait to go, i'm so excited. I know you posted this ages ago, but there is always a chance that you ghost watch the thread and you'll reply and we can chat about English stuff. Congrats on the unconditional by the way, I wish I was in your position.:h:
Original post by I eat poo
Physics :cool: haha

Wow physics sounds impossible to me, too many numbers.
By the way, best of luck to all the English Lit people for tomorrow! :smile: My best friend's been revising for AGES and I can't wait to finally get her back after all this time! Oh and good luck to everyone else who has exams coming up.

I have to say this is the worst part about having my exams finishing early. Just as I finish everyone else is knuckling down to hardcore revision! Not long now though! :biggrin:
Reply 1709
Original post by OceanFlanker
Ohh ok i was a lucky one who only had one interview which was soo nice :smile: did you have a second? when was your interview weekend? The interviews had such a weird atomosphere everyone trying to compete etc. sounds like it was much better at the offer holders weekend.

Yeah - I had one at Hertford. Why did you only have one?? Jealous!!!
I know - everyone was being all bitchy & snide so I left and went for a walk around oxford with a friend of mine who had an interview at Queen's. The offer holders weekend was much better, its a shame you missed it!
Original post by Lucy23
Yeah - I had one at Hertford. Why did you only have one?? Jealous!!!
I know - everyone was being all bitchy & snide so I left and went for a walk around oxford with a friend of mine who had an interview at Queen's. The offer holders weekend was much better, its a shame you missed it!

I dont know why i only had one i thought it was because i'd done really well or really badly so wasnt sure what to think of it. The looks people gave you as you came out the interview im sure some people wanted to like kill you just to remove the competition lol i wish i knew someone else i ended up drinking coffee most of the time not doing anything.

I wanted to come but o'well hopefully meet everyome in october instead ( fingers crossed i dont bugger up all my exams)
Reply 1711
I dont know why i only had one i thought it was because i'd done really well or really badly so wasnt sure what to think of it. The looks people gave you as you came out the interview im sure some people wanted to like kill you just to remove the competition lol i wish i knew someone else i ended up drinking coffee most of the time not doing anything.

I wanted to come but o'well hopefully meet everyome in october instead ( fingers crossed i dont bugger up all my exams)

Yep and if you said anythign remotely wrong everyone jumped on you! And one guy actually laughed at me! (although it turned out i was right so...karma)
I guess its just the pressure...
Does A*AB equate to AAA in any circumstance (obviously still fulfilling specific grade requirements)? Sorry this came out of nowhere haha, i'm just in a panic here.
Original post by Lucy23
Yep and if you said anythign remotely wrong everyone jumped on you! And one guy actually laughed at me! (although it turned out i was right so...karma)

Which college was this? I got interviewed at Balliol and everyone was really quite friendly.

Apologies for interrupting :smile:
Reply 1714
Original post by micky022
Which college was this? I got interviewed at Balliol and everyone was really quite friendly.

Apologies for interrupting :smile:

Jesus - it was a science nerds day tho!!
Original post by Lucy23

Yhh did you have group interviews then? what was it like at Hertford?

The people were really nice at the end once it was all over tho so not all bad
Original post by Verstehen
Does A*AB equate to AAA in any circumstance (obviously still fulfilling specific grade requirements)? Sorry this came out of nowhere haha, i'm just in a panic here.

You would have to ask the college, but they can easily reject it as they specified AAA or higher.
Original post by micky022

That's where my offer's for :smile: what subject?
Reply 1718
Yhh did you have group interviews then? what was it like at Hertford?

The people were really nice at the end once it was all over tho so not all bad

Nope just by myself... Was nice at hertford but i was like the only one being interviewed? There were loads of students & like no other people being interviewed.
I just left straight away after my 2nd interview!
Original post by Verstehen
That's where my offer's for :smile: what subject?

I applied for Law, but then got moved to Teddy Hall :smile: What did you apply for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending