The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by Kagesou
damn I thought people would go for the halls closer to campus. The good thing though is that I'm under 18 so I'm guaranteed a single, and I've chosen price as the more important factor.

/faileffort to stay optimistic :/

Yeah well I think people do apply for the close ones, but many people in their desperation for a single apply for the cheap Wilson ones too. Well if you are guaranteed a single that's rather nice for you :smile:.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 841
Original post by Zottula
Yeah well I think people do apply for the close ones, but many people in their desperation for a single apply for the cheap Wilson ones too. Well if you are guaranteed a single that's rather nice for you :smile:.

People like meeeeeeeee. :smile:
Reply 842
Original post by Dark-Myth
People like meeeeeeeee. :smile:

People like meeeeeeeeee, however, aren't fussed (and I bet it's ditto for Zottula too :tongue:) Most of my options are twins.
Gotta love boarding school, you learn how to get on with a variety of semi-pubescent (catty) characters and share rooms with them, so over-18s should hopefully be a *bit* mellower at least. XD
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 843
Original post by arianex
People like meeeeeeeeee, however, aren't fussed (and I bet it's ditto for Zottula too :tongue:) Most of my options are twins.
Gotta love boarding school, you learn how to get on with a variety of semi-pubescent (catty) characters and share rooms with them, so over-18s should hopefully be a *bit* mellower at least. XD

Can't wait to find out on move in day who my "twin" will be :biggrin:.
Reply 844
Original post by Zottula
Can't wait to find out on move in day who my "twin" will be :biggrin:.

Or triplet, should you get one! XD
Reply 845
Well. I doubt I will get a single, just because I put price as the most important thing, and applied for 2 doubles. I really don't fancy my chances with a triplet as cheap as they are.
Reply 846
Original post by arianex
They do, especially those of our kind (read: internationals) who are minted like heck (because of Eastside and Southside, ehe. I definitely don't fall under that category.) It's just that after the close-to-campus halls, the *somewhat* next in line (maybe even on par) on the "oversubscribed" list would have to be cheap singles (you'd be surprised about how many hate the idea of sharing.)

Apart from the halls, also try not to get too attached to the thing about having your own fridge. Not many halls offer them (there's another hall that does but I forgot which), and most of us "normal" folk do without it anyway. It's not a "really need" (your words, not mine...!) thing, unless you're a diabetic - in which case, you can email them and they will provide you with a fridge for your insulin. :tongue:
Also, most of them have pool tables (some free, some maybe 20p or so a go) and there are quite a few good practice rooms in the Blyth Center on campus + pianos in some of the other halls, so it's not like Wilson is the only one that has all you need (yay for compromise. :biggrin:) It's just a matter of having a mature enough mindset to make do with/appreciate what you get given.

What other halls have you applied for (or if you haven't sent off your app, are considering?) Based on the fact that you prioritized price, I'm guessing that you'd have gone for the other cheaper singles, which would be the Evelyn Gardens ones...

PS// I'm assuming you'll be under 18 in Oct...otherwise, that single-room guarantee won't happen. Some of the under-18s I spoke to were only allowed to put down one option on the form, which was weird.

I'm thinking of Pembridge, the other one with the fridge. As you say it's true it's not a real need, but it's something that will really make things better. Of course, I am aware of the fact that I won't always get it. As of the pool tables I didn't know - thanks for that information - that was one of the reasons why I'd really love to stay at Wilson.

And yes, I'll still be 17 in Oct, I was born in Nov '93.

Thanks for all that info - I'll take a look at the ones at Evelyn Gardens.

But I'm guessing it's impossible for me to end up in the same building as my friend then - we're planning to send off the exact same list.
Reply 847
Original post by Kagesou
I'm thinking of Pembridge, the other one with the fridge. As you say it's true it's not a real need, but it's something that will really make things better. Of course, I am aware of the fact that I won't always get it. As of the pool tables I didn't know - thanks for that information - that was one of the reasons why I'd really love to stay at Wilson.

And yes, I'll still be 17 in Oct, I was born in Nov '93.

Thanks for all that info - I'll take a look at the ones at Evelyn Gardens.

But I'm guessing it's impossible for me to end up in the same building as my friend then - we're planning to send off the exact same list.

Hmm...I guess if you want to have access to loads of cold beverages/jellies (etc) while not stepping out of your room, then yes, I can see why. (Not like you're going to put lots of raw groceries in the personal fridge, your room might stink of raw chicken :P)

Pardon me if I sounded a lil' bit harsh/biting; it's mainly because we get a *lot* of [nooby] people who randomly waltz in here and go on about how they "want a single room but not expensive but close to campus/Prince's Gardens", or something else along those lines. I had to tell the person who said what I quoted to get real.

And look at it this way: if you don't end up in the same building as your friend, there are two plus points - a) you get to experience another hall when you go hall-visiting (so you're not cooped up in just one), and b) you're even more likely to mix with some new peeps. :smile: Not to say that you won't even if your friend's in the same hall; but you'll just be more likely to if he/she isn't, if you get my drift.
Plus, if you're also frequently dropping by another hall to visit your friend, chances are, you'll soon get to know other people at that hall too...win-win? :wink:
Reply 848
Original post by arianex
Hmm...I guess if you want to have access to loads of cold beverages/jellies (etc) while not stepping out of your room, then yes, I can see why. (Not like you're going to put lots of raw groceries in the personal fridge, your room might stink of raw chicken :P)

Pardon me if I sounded a lil' bit harsh/biting; it's mainly because we get a *lot* of [nooby] people who randomly waltz in here and go on about how they "want a single room but not expensive but close to campus/Prince's Gardens", or something else along those lines. I had to tell the person who said what I quoted to get real.

And look at it this way: if you don't end up in the same building as your friend, there are two plus points - a) you get to experience another hall when you go hall-visiting (so you're not cooped up in just one), and b) you're even more likely to mix with some new peeps. :smile: Not to say that you won't even if your friend's in the same hall; but you'll just be more likely to if he/she isn't, if you get my drift.
Plus, if you're also frequently dropping by another hall to visit your friend, chances are, you'll soon get to know other people at that hall too...win-win? :wink:

Yeah, agree with everything you've said. Nah it wasn't harsh or anything, I know I'm being quite selfish wanting a single room at Wilson in the first place anyway. I should feel lucky enough already since I'm guaranteed a single room.

I'm not too worried about not getting with my friend but he seems to want to have someone he knows around, especially because we are a "little" antisocial. But yeah, I'm sure we'll meet amazing people there anyway - and my guess is that there are a lot of people like us since it's Imperial xD

How much of your time do you actually spend at your own hall, but outside your room?
Reply 849
Original post by arianex

Shouldn't you have C3 right now instead of be on here?
Reply 850
Original post by arianex
Or triplet, should you get one! XD

Yes or that! Probably more likely to get a twin room though given that there aren't many triplets. Triplet would be awesome though, think of how much money you'd save!
Reply 851
Original post by Kagesou

I'm not too worried about not getting with my friend but he seems to want to have someone he knows around, especially because we are a "little" antisocial. But yeah, I'm sure we'll meet amazing people there anyway - and my guess is that there are a lot of people like us since it's Imperial xD

Yeah don't worry. You are certainly not going to be the only slightly antisocial types there. I'm a fairly quiet, shy, reserved person myself.
Reply 852
Shouldn't you have C3 right now instead of be on here?

Our school lunches end at 2pm, Watson. :smile: So PM exams (almost) always start at 2 for us, unless you've had to be quarantined for 1.5+ hours or so (then it's 4pm.) That was the case with my D1 paper, because it clashed with the S1 exam and they "couldn't find use any more exam space" because there was an event going on in school. So we waited - I was not a happy bunny. ><

Original post by Kagesou
Yeah, agree with everything you've said. Nah it wasn't harsh or anything, I know I'm being quite selfish wanting a single room at Wilson in the first place anyway. I should feel lucky enough already since I'm guaranteed a single room.

I'm not too worried about not getting with my friend but he seems to want to have someone he knows around, especially because we are a &quot;little&quot; antisocial. But yeah, I'm sure we'll meet amazing people there anyway - and my guess is that there are a lot of people like us since it's Imperial xD

Fair enough - it's quite normal to lemm after one particular hall/room type anyway (I know I'm a bit like that with Pembridge, but I'd be just as happy living anywhere else. :biggrin:) I suppose since everyone's new to each other (well, barring those who have mates from their old schools when the year begins), you won't have to worry about being a lil' bit antisocial - most of us "social" peeps would feel a lil' bit scared/unconfident anyway for the first few days. xD I'm the only one in my school who's got a firm offer from Imperial, so *technically* speaking, I "won't know anyone" when I start...

That said, TSR and Facebook's great to counter this sort of thing. :smile: Might I suggest that you and your friend join the ICL Freshers 2011 group after exams? :smile: It's a great group, loads of chatty and nice peeps are on it (even some of us TSR regulars - nikita_atikin's also there, besides myself! :biggrin:) So by the time you start the year, you won't feel like you don't know anybody - you'll have at least one or two peeps to look out for during Freshers. :smile:

Original post by Kagesou
How much of your time do you actually spend at your own hall, but outside your room?

It varies with people...depends on how much time you like to spend cooking/playing pool/watching films with others/socializing. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 853
Original post by Zottula
Yes or that! Probably more likely to get a twin room though given that there aren't many triplets. Triplet would be awesome though, think of how much money you'd save!

And the fun you'd have if you get awesome roomies. ^^ -wishful thinking ehehehe-

Random thought: I wonder if girls are more likely to occupy the triples than guys are? Something's telling me that that's probably the case, as I think girls are more likely to be ok with rooming in larger numbers... :smile:

(Not that an extra person makes for a much larger number, imo. XD)
Reply 854
Original post by arianex
And the fun you'd have if you get awesome roomies. ^^ -wishful thinking ehehehe-

Random thought: I wonder if girls are more likely to occupy the triples than guys are? Something's telling me that that's probably the case, as I think girls are more likely to be ok with rooming in larger numbers... :smile:

(Not that an extra person makes for a much larger number, imo. XD)

Yeah I think it is quite likely. I often think of girls enjoying girly sleepovers and not minding being closer etc. But then Imperial has more boys than girls so....:dontknow:
Reply 855
Original post by arianex
ICL Freshers 2001
lawl. I don't think we are quite THAT old.
But meh, I am sure the exam papers say they start at 1:30?

Original post by Zottula
Yeah I think it is quite likely. I often think of girls enjoying girly sleepovers and not minding being closer etc. But then Imperial has more boys than girls so....:dontknow:

But then you get the bitchy kind. What happens when 3 of them gets stuck in a room? :tongue:
Reply 856

But then you get the bitchy kind. What happens when 3 of them gets stuck in a room? :tongue:

So true. I'm not the bitchy kind though. I'm the weird, freaky, awkward one sitting in the corner rocking back and forth.
Reply 857
lawl. I don't think we are quite THAT old.
But meh, I am sure the exam papers say they start at 1:30?

Some papers do, and some just say "afternoon". I've had some that say a 2pm start time on the paper. Anyway, point is, one school can start at 1.30pm and another at any other time in the afternoon (depending on their own timetables), so long as there WILL be a substantial overlap in the amount of time the students from these schools will be in exam halls (thus prohibiting discussion.)

So my friend can do the exam from 1.30 - 3 and myself from 2-3.30 and it's not a problem. :smile: It would be, however, if she had it for 2-3.30 and I was set to do it at 4pm (due to whatever reason, so no overlap)...so I'd need to be isolated.

Original post by Zottula
So true. I'm not the bitchy kind though. I'm the weird, freaky, awkward one sitting in the corner rocking back and forth.

^ This. :biggrin:

PS// DM, you really have such faith in the female population. XD
(edited 12 years ago)
got my fingers crossed for BEIT HALL. its only 2 minutes walk from lectures and the rooms are pretty decent i guess

:smile:
Reply 859
Original post by arianex

PS// DM, you really have such faith in the female population. XD

I had a lot of faith until I 'met' you... oh the purple bruises on my ego *hmph* xD

I'm kidding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending