The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by squiff93

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ha, no not at all. I guess I kinda have to face the facts. I just hate this whole rave about BMI- muscle and everything change it (and I have no muscle) so surely I should be less?? Grrrr this is sooo aggravating!! Thanks anyway :wink:
Reply 781
Original post by Sugarcandy
If it is any consolation, you never asked for this to happen to you. Yes, you can't blame any one else but you also cant' blame yourself. Beating yourself up over this is definitely not going to help you. I am sorry that things have been going downhill and I wish there is more I could do apart from listen and empathise with you. If you get an E (which I hope you don't), you don't have to write it down on any forms later on in life but at least if you take it you have a chance. You will only regret it otherwise. Either way, you are NOT a failure and this is NOT your fault. Please always remember this!!!!
xx

awh thanks :smile: yeah i'll try not to be too hard on myself when results come tbh, its just annoying to think yano maybe i could have done better if things were different, i think i'm going to wake up at 5ish tmz or something and go through my english quotes because tomorrow is another day and maybe i'll feel more positive tomorrow.

as for the BMI thing - i know i know its frustrating when you get told yours makes you unhealthy when you see different, i think there is too much of a focus on BMI because obviously it has its problems like when people are muscular... but i think that its more your bmi should be something and sometimes it tells muscular people they are unhealthy or overweight or w/e because they are heavy eventhough its all muscle and they are actually very healthy. hypocritical i know because i will never take other peoples advice when it comes to altering my weight - but don't assume there wrong at least hear them out even if you completely disagree, because ultimately they do want whats best for you :smile:
awh thanks :smile: yeah i'll try not to be too hard on myself when results come tbh, its just annoying to think yano maybe i could have done better if things were different, i think i'm going to wake up at 5ish tmz or something and go through my english quotes because tomorrow is another day and maybe i'll feel more positive tomorrow.

as for the BMI thing - i know i know its frustrating when you get told yours makes you unhealthy when you see different, i think there is too much of a focus on BMI because obviously it has its problems like when people are muscular... but i think that its more your bmi should be something and sometimes it tells muscular people they are unhealthy or overweight or w/e because they are heavy eventhough its all muscle and they are actually very healthy. hypocritical i know because i will never take other peoples advice when it comes to altering my weight - but don't assume there wrong at least hear them out even if you completely disagree, because ultimately they do want whats best for you :smile:

Ha, I love how we are both able to give each other advice yet, I know that I do this anyway (you may not), I refuse to take on board the advice I would give out :tongue: It is great to know that you are there and willing to support.
I hope you are a morning person- personally the thought of waking up at 5 in the morning to learn some quotes does not entice me in the slightest but I am glad you can be positive about it. I hope your outlook will also be different tomorrow. Please please try and eat. Even if for me and not for you- it will make me proud :smile: :smile: Best of luck!!!! xx
Reply 783
Ha, I love how we are both able to give each other advice yet, I know that I do this anyway (you may not), I refuse to take on board the advice I would give out :tongue: It is great to know that you are there and willing to support.
I hope you are a morning person- personally the thought of waking up at 5 in the morning to learn some quotes does not entice me in the slightest but I am glad you can be positive about it. I hope your outlook will also be different tomorrow. Please please try and eat. Even if for me and not for you- it will make me proud :smile: :smile: Best of luck!!!! xx

awh thankyouu, alright i promise to try and eat tomorrow :smile:

and yeah i know advice is so much easier to give than receive, not particularly a morning person lol but with caffeine i'm sure its do-able, well it will have to be unless i work through the night because i have not done nearly enough work today well any in fact :/

my skin is ****eddddd my face is all blotchy and my lips are all sore and its just gross
Original post by diamonddust
Don't be silly, it didn't come across that way at all! I'm just awed by your resilience and the way you just refuse to give up! :hugs: And majorly impressed by you doing 2 full A levels in a year! I just finished one intensive A level and I'm exhausted. I hope you get where you want to be! And yay to being in the English Lit club! :tongue: :wink:
I can really identify with the over achieving and under achieving thing. It still gets me down when I look at my GCSE and AS level grades because I was meant to get much better grades than I managed. Aw well. I think what annoys me about this illness is my concentration is so bad I've gone from reading a book a day to a book every 4 months. :rolleyes:
How are you doing now?

Thank you!! What A level did you just do?
English lit club?! Art thou in't? =))
Don't worry about your past grades, there's nothing you can do and the future holds sooo many opportunities to show yourself that you can excel despite all your troubles. What are you doing at the moment, retaking? What are your plans? :smile:
i can very much relate to the concentration problem. When I was in hosp, i actually lost my ability to read. I'd start a word and by the time i'd get to the end of it i'd be completely confused, unable to link letters into meanings. That's sort of when the reality of it started to dawn upon me. One of many such dawnings.. hmm
I take it you're not doing so well right now =( ? How are you??
Right now I'm able to eat in a way that is more or less acceptable. Obviously I wake up and go to bed with the same ED thoughts but I try to get on with my day alongside them.
Sometimes, they really get me down. Very much so.
Sometimes, I screw up.
Life, eh..
(edited 12 years ago)
gosh i nearly had a heart attack calulated my lbs wrong - not weighed myself just using same weight as last year - and it came out wrong nearly had a heart attack to see i was overweight but thankfully got it wrong 8 stones is not bloody 150 lbs lol anyhow bmi seems odd its weird to see for my height which again i dont know it accurately i am only 2 points away from being underweight it's not true considering how fat i am no lie
get weighed tomorrow :frown:
feel like crap.
Reply 787
Original post by *custardcream
get weighed tomorrow :frown:
feel like crap.

:frown: i feel ****ty to, and i'm weighing myself tmz aswell eventhough i have 2 exams and it probably wont do me any good

hopefully you'll be alright, you've been very brave so far (read a lot of your comments but too scared to comment ) and i'm pretty sure you'll be able to cope with whatever it says

all the best

xxx
^ thanks :redface: xx

on positive notes, i'm not getting a meal plan 'review' (ie increase) until monday. and they are going to work with me as to what i can handle.

(still not out the wheelchair and likely wont be for a while :frown:)

but another positive, i now have 3.5 hours a day NOT ON OBS :biggrin: and that should be increased next week if I prove I can keep myself safe :smile:
Reply 789
:lovehug:
Reply 790
Custard, I hope you don't mind too much, but I am going to post this as I feel it is about time to.

Custard contacted me to state I was not posting here much. The reasons for this are three-fold, and I sincerely hope those in distress read these reasons.

First up - I do not want to interfere with the integrity and the recovery of others. I'd noticed a few people here receiving great recovery advice and some good, strong options regarding how to combat their own afflictions. There's no point in adding to already-sound advice, lest I accidentally affect it in a bad way.

Secondly, and more importantly, this thread has become increasingly negative. Almost trigger-worthy. I am personally unhappy with this. Every other message is "I binge-purged, I suck, I suck." Sometimes it is important to remember those enduring the same as you and stop being so selfish. Use SOME tact. ED is not an excuse to spurt out triggering statements willy-nilly. If you are feeling overwhelmed, that is understandable, but to state every day how self-indulgently dire you are feeling in order to incite sympathy is not constructive. Anyone knows this; it's a quick-fix easy get-out.

Finally, and perhaps most outlandishly, I haven't posted here in a while because I have actually had what is, in effect, a minor heart attack. At less than 16 BMI, I felt I wasn't nearly as bad as some other anorexic posters here. I noticed poor Custardcream posting she was around the 13 mark and thought "hell, I'm GIANT compared to her. So I calmed down on my recovery.

The other day, having restricted for a mere four days, my arm took a vice-like pain and I was taken into the hospital. Apparently I had endured what is termed as a "phantom heart attack" or "severe pre-emptive heart attack". This kind of thing is the last stage of angina before a life-threatening heart attack, by the way. Just goes to show that numbers mean **** all. If you are anorexic/ED-suffering, you are always at risk. You are killing yourselves.

And to be completely bleak, blunt, and cruel, I don't think a lot of you are doing enough regarding recovery. Seriously. This last endeavour has shown me how much I lie to myself and say "oh, it's cool, tomorrow I'll recover better!".

Nope, that's me, 26, having heart attacks, body shutting down. So I inadvertently become the agony aunt of this thread and state, "for god's sake, stop lying to yourselves and recover."

For christ's sake, some of the reasoning your ED places in front of you is so petty. Want to appease it? Fair enough. Don't eat dinner. Be like me, this past week. Have a f***ing heart attack. Your choice, guys.

I hate to be so blunt but it's come to this.

Think about it. I love you all too much to see you endure what I have.
Original post by TotoMimo

Custard, I hope you don't mind too much, but I am going to post this as I feel it is about time to.

Custard contacted me to state I was not posting here much. The reasons for this are three-fold, and I sincerely hope those in distress read these reasons.

First up - I do not want to interfere with the integrity and the recovery of others. I'd noticed a few people here receiving great recovery advice and some good, strong options regarding how to combat their own afflictions. There's no point in adding to already-sound advice, lest I accidentally affect it in a bad way.

Secondly, and more importantly, this thread has become increasingly negative. Almost trigger-worthy. I am personally unhappy with this. Every other message is "I binge-purged, I suck, I suck." Sometimes it is important to remember those enduring the same as you and stop being so selfish. Use SOME tact. ED is not an excuse to spurt out triggering statements willy-nilly. If you are feeling overwhelmed, that is understandable, but to state every day how self-indulgently dire you are feeling in order to incite sympathy is not constructive. Anyone knows this; it's a quick-fix easy get-out.

Finally, and perhaps most outlandishly, I haven't posted here in a while because I have actually had what is, in effect, a minor heart attack. At less than 16 BMI, I felt I wasn't nearly as bad as some other anorexic posters here. I noticed poor Custardcream posting she was around the 13 mark and thought "hell, I'm GIANT compared to her. So I calmed down on my recovery.

The other day, having restricted for a mere four days, my arm took a vice-like pain and I was taken into the hospital. Apparently I had endured what is termed as a "phantom heart attack" or "severe pre-emptive heart attack". This kind of thing is the last stage of angina before a life-threatening heart attack, by the way. Just goes to show that numbers mean **** all. If you are anorexic/ED-suffering, you are always at risk. You are killing yourselves.

And to be completely bleak, blunt, and cruel, I don't think a lot of you are doing enough regarding recovery. Seriously. This last endeavour has shown me how much I lie to myself and say "oh, it's cool, tomorrow I'll recover better!".

Nope, that's me, 26, having heart attacks, body shutting down. So I inadvertently become the agony aunt of this thread and state, "for god's sake, stop lying to yourselves and recover."

For christ's sake, some of the reasoning your ED places in front of you is so petty. Want to appease it? Fair enough. Don't eat dinner. Be like me, this past week. Have a f***ing heart attack. Your choice, guys.

Bloody hell, Toto! :hugs: Best of luck with recovery and I hope you feel better soon!

Unfortunately I have to agree about the negativity. I myself may be guilty of it, I don't know, but I do know that even trying to put a positive light on things can really lift your mood and little and help recovery.
so sorry to hear that totomimo

I have tried heck hard to give positive advice on this thread to anyone struggling.
Truth is I'm struggling myself though not at the underweight mark yet so I feel like a fraud and I'm feeling really low atm.
It's quite sad how someone else's BMI has triggered you awfully so I think we all should stop posting BMIs
TotoMimo
xx

I really like your straight forward no nonsense talk there it is very motivating I think, well for me certainly, we all need that and it is just making me think STFU there are those out there who can't actually access food and are starving and you can't even enjoy one meal WTF
:frown: :hugs:

I was going to talk about how I am dreading a family restaurant meal this sunday. But I have to attend as it's my treat for a relative like an idiot I suggested this urgh but I will suck it up and ****ing eat the meal. xxxxxxxxx
Original post by Kebabbi

My mum just got home, I went downstairs to tell her that I don't need dinner because I had my sushi mini box thing, but I would still cook for her and my brother if she wanted... she just ignored me and went to the freezer and started pulling out all these different boxes of food, like two boxes of fishcakes and veggie burgers. I said 'what are you doing, you can't eat all those' and she was like 'yes you are and we can, they need eating up' and I kept saying 'we can't eat all of that food' until she turned round and yelled that I was ****ing pathetic and slapped me.

I know she's stressed because of some crap that's going on at work but seriously, she knows I did really badly in my exam today and I'm really worried about the one tomorrow as well, I appreciate she doesn't understand my ED properly but why does she think now is a good time to start force-feeding me?! I just left her to it and now I can hear her putting it all in the oven and I'm not going to lie, I am ****ing terrified, she's going to make me eat it and then I'm not going to be able to throw it up because she's not going out tonight and I'm going to spend all tonight worrying about that instead of revising and I won't be able to sleep because I'll have eaten and I'm going to fail my ****ing English exam and I just don't know what to do.

Really, really don't want to be conscious right now.

:jumphugs: I'm so so sorry hun. :sad:
awh thankyouu, alright i promise to try and eat tomorrow :smile:

and yeah i know advice is so much easier to give than receive, not particularly a morning person lol but with caffeine i'm sure its do-able, well it will have to be unless i work through the night because i have not done nearly enough work today well any in fact :/

my skin is ****eddddd my face is all blotchy and my lips are all sore and its just gross

YAYAY! Did u manage to? Thanks for at least having the thought- thats a step :smile:
I really really hope that your exam goes well today and I am sure you will find that if you eat a bit more your skin and face will be better. Work out your priorities :smile: Best of luck xx

Oh My gossshhh!! You really really scared me. Firstly, I am mega sorry to hear about that- that is really awful news. Secondly, although it shouldn't have taken this, thanks for the wake up call. I hope it gave you as a big a one as it gave me!!!!!
I really hope things start improving for you and I must say as I haven't had the opportunity to say it yet, I really appreciate you starting this post- it has really really helped me!!! You really are quite admirable!
Reply 796
Oh My gossshhh!! You really really scared me. Firstly, I am mega sorry to hear about that- that is really awful news. Secondly, although it shouldn't have taken this, thanks for the wake up call. I hope it gave you as a big a one as it gave me!!!!!
I really hope things start improving for you and I must say as I haven't had the opportunity to say it yet, I really appreciate you starting this post- it has really really helped me!!! You really are quite admirable!

Despite seeming as though I was coming across as wholly insensitive the fact is I'm posting this from a hospital bed where they're monitoring my heart. That thing at the core of your body that keeps you alive. And up until a few days ago, I was crying like a buffoon because a number on a set of scales was marginally higher than it was a few months prior, and that I thought my stomach was looking a little softer. Made me also think of how the latter few things ruined my life and how absurd it was. A career, a happy social life, RUINED through the most childish, petty, stupid of things such as that. Having a "phantom" heart attack because of these illogical compulsions.

It just puts things into perspective. Makes me think I keep making excuses and special circumstances, but who am I lying to? Erm, just me. I'm the only one that stands to lose out through this nightmare.

The truth is that even whilst we're all trying, we're not trying hard enough. Something like this happening to me, even whilst I try to recover, proves that my body is still in a dangerous situation. And yet everyone still focuses on the numbers. Numbers are everything to us, but in reality they mean ****-all. They're killing me. They're killing you, too. The outside of your body might not necessarily show it but your insides are ruined because of it - my current situation is a testament to that.

Everyone, don't lie to yourselves. Nobody wants to face death before their thirties, but mortality has (rather aptly) been on my mind these past few days...
Reply 797

Everyone, don't lie to yourselves. Nobody wants to face death before their thirties, but mortality has (rather aptly) been on my mind these past few days...

Hey Toto, that sounds horrible. I really hope you get better soon and that this might help push you to get better. Also I know it sounds kind of stupid, but I hope that having something real and explicit that happened to you because of the eating disorder means that you can fully realise that it is hurting you a lot, instead of justifying it because you can get by on a daily basis. I might be barking up the wrong tree but I always used to feel like people were just exaggerating how bad the effects were, I never believed that anything bad would really happen to me because of it.
Is there still room on this thread for stories, or has it moved onto advice now?
(edited 12 years ago)

Despite seeming as though I was coming across as wholly insensitive the fact is I'm posting this from a hospital bed where they're monitoring my heart. That thing at the core of your body that keeps you alive. And up until a few days ago, I was crying like a buffoon because a number on a set of scales was marginally higher than it was a few months prior, and that I thought my stomach was looking a little softer. Made me also think of how the latter few things ruined my life and how absurd it was. A career, a happy social life, RUINED through the most childish, petty, stupid of things such as that. Having a "phantom" heart attack because of these illogical compulsions.

It just puts things into perspective. Makes me think I keep making excuses and special circumstances, but who am I lying to? Erm, just me. I'm the only one that stands to lose out through this nightmare.

The truth is that even whilst we're all trying, we're not trying hard enough. Something like this happening to me, even whilst I try to recover, proves that my body is still in a dangerous situation. And yet everyone still focuses on the numbers. Numbers are everything to us, but in reality they mean ****-all. They're killing me. They're killing you, too. The outside of your body might not necessarily show it but your insides are ruined because of it - my current situation is a testament to that.

You have no idea how scared and shocked I was at your last post. I've been conscious of the fact that you've been gone for a while and I've been worrying because I've noticed how negative this thread has become and then when I saw that news... God, it was awful: all my fears were confirmed and I just felt like crying. But you are so, so right. Sometimes it's only with a real shock that people really understand just how devastating an ED is.

Please listen to Toto everyone: recovery is hard and awful but the alternative is so so so much worse. At the end of recovery you get back something you forgot about: you get your happiness, your family, your ability to progress in a career. Your life. Please see that - regardless of your BMI or weight or anything. It starts with "I don't want dinner" "My BMI is higher than hers" "I feel fat compared fo my friend" and then it spirals out of control and before you know it you're where Toto just was: on the cusp of something too frightening to say.

I hope you're okay Toto. Keep strong :jumphug:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 799
x

Look after you. I know it's easy to say coming from somebody who has no idea what you're going through...but I do know that you are a great person, and that you have a great future ahead of you away from your eating disorder. Keep fighting your ED, there is so much more out there in life (as I'm sure you're perfectly aware!)

I haven't posted in this thread for a long time, I haven't felt like I deserve to because I've been doing ok. For some reason I've been seeing that as a bad thing though? But it's not a bad thing, not really.

I'm eating regularly and healthily again now. I was fed up with not having the energy to train. Training is what I need right now, more than ever, and it's illogical to destroy my ability to do it when it's making me unhappy. So I'm eating well again. And y'know what? I haven't put on loads of weight. 2lbs maybe, in the last month. And that's ok. I can't say I'm thrilled, but I'm still at the lower end of healthy, and I guess it's called 'healthy' for a reason. And it's worth it, to be honest. I might want to lose weight, but I want to train more and I have so much more energy now I'm eating a 'normal' amount again.

I am struggling a bit at the moment. We found out on Tuesday that my mum's cancer has spread, and a part of me just wants to give up completely. I want to stop functioning now. I want to hurt myself physically as much as it hurts inside right now (stupid I know). But it won't help, it won't change anything, and I just want to make my mum happy. I guess I have to just keep telling myself that.

Quick Reply

Latest