The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2700
Original post by intellectual1
Wow to AQA to WJEC...maybe OCR have done this because they want alot of UCAS offer holders to miss their offers?! hmmm

So what makes OCR a better exam board than these in your reasoning.
Discuss [6marks]
Original post by touran22
ok heres the paper....http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/touran22/f325/

password touran22

Nice one mate

But you have missed out 1a)
Could you just tell me the values they give for enthalpy of solution, lattice enthalpy and hydration of chlorine
Reply 2702
Original post by CoventryCity
Nice one mate

But you have missed out 1a)
Could you just tell me the values they give for enthalpy of solution, lattice enthalpy and hydration of chlorine

sorted...take a look now!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SmartFool
Why is it only with OCR that chemistry A2 papers are this hard? Is it fair that all the exam boards are completely different in their approach, if you look at AQA past papers they are so goddamn easy compared to OCR WTF is this right?

I think in the old legacy spec OCR papers were a walk in the park imo. Compared to something like edexcel or aqa they where much easier but I don't think OCR like that image of being the easy board. OCR will have the hardest A2 papers and probably will make them progressively harder which you can see from last june to now.. i'm guessing soon they will increase the difficulty of the AS papers also otherwise the gap will be too big. To be fair though, I recon all exam boards will now try and copy OCR, exams are meant to seperate those who are bright from those who just learn the book which is the way it should be..OCR just need to sort out timing/mark allocation and wording.
kc question:

i found the difference between 0.8 and 0.6 (3/4 of it) an then dived it by 2 because it was 2NO and then applied this to the other compounds to find the eq amounts...was this wrong?
is it ok if I used any weak acid for the buffer calculation ratio? Or it has to be lactic?
Worst F325 exam ever, the way the questions were worded is nothing like how thetext book teaches you so whats the point really :angry:
Reply 2707
How many marks available on page on 1 and 16 please?
Reply 2708
Original post by Dim0nIX
Can you please specify how on Earth the level of difficulty and the extent of relevance was the same in all 3 papers? Please give me an example of where Chemitry was applied to real-life situations in a "magic tang" manner in Jan 2011/ Jun 2010 papers. And give me an example of a question as challenging as the polymer 3D structure in any of those? Maybe you will be so kind as to point out the 3 long worded essay questions for 7, 9 and 11 marks respectively in previous 2 papers? Or tell me the page number in the book where it talks about the validity of food surveys? I am waiting.

Assuming you have done the past papers they I wouldn't need to answer this, but anyway.

Can you please specify how on Earth the level of difficulty and the extent of relevance was the same in all 3 papers? Please give me an example of where Chemitry was applied to real-life situations in a "magic tang" manner in Jan 2011/ Jun 2010 papers.

Difficulty of an exam paper is relative to the person, so ill give you some example of where I see similarities (difficulty and/or relevance).

See Jan 2011 F325 P11 Q3 part e. Regarding Ammonium Thioglycolate and hair.
Same Paper Qu 7 Regarding Dissolved Oxygen Concentration in rivers.
See Jan 2011 F324 P13 Q6.
See Jan 2011 F322 P16 Q5b.

And give me an example of a question as challenging as the polymer 3D structure in any of those?

See June 2010 P16b Q6d part iii) Not a polymer I know, but its is similar apart from the extra bit of applying your knowledge (from the last unit).

To the rest of it. There are more examples all over the past papers will make no difference as the first time I did the F324 exam in Jan and did the F325 paper as a mock, I was like OMGWTFBBQ like everyone is now, but then I realised that the exam to quote OCR 'There is an increased emphasis on understanding and application rather than recall'. This paper is about applying your knowledge not rewriting the textbook under exam conditions.

Hope it was worth the wait.
Original post by touran22
ok heres the paper....http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/touran22/f325/

password touran22

sorry for the quality of the paper...i don't own a scanner...just an iphone 5! when your on there just hit slideshow and your good to go!

Hi
Thanks for getting this uploaded but the password does not seem to be working . . .
:confused:
Password worked for my guys
Reply 2711
Original post by Wailinza
Hi
Thanks for getting this uploaded but the password does not seem to be working . . .

doesnt work for me aswell :confused:
Reply 2712
Original post by Wailinza
Hi

Same for me.
Reply 2713
Original post by CoventryCity
Password worked for my guys

how :confused: didnt work for me
Original post by spark343
Same for me.

I think too many people put in the wrong password so no one else can get in for another 15 minutes
Reply 2715
Original post by Vitupero
Assuming you have done the past papers they I wouldn't need to answer this, but anyway.

Can you please specify how on Earth the level of difficulty and the extent of relevance was the same in all 3 papers? Please give me an example of where Chemitry was applied to real-life situations in a "magic tang" manner in Jan 2011/ Jun 2010 papers.

Difficulty of an exam paper is relative to the person, so ill give you some example of where I see similarities (difficulty and/or relevance).

See Jan 2011 F325 P11 Q3 part e. Regarding Ammonium Thioglycolate and hair.
Same Paper Qu 7 Regarding Dissolved Oxygen Concentration in rivers.
See Jan 2011 F324 P13 Q6.
See Jan 2011 F322 P16 Q5b.

And give me an example of a question as challenging as the polymer 3D structure in any of those?

See June 2010 P16b Q6d part iii) Not a polymer I know, but its is similar apart from the extra bit of applying your knowledge (from the last unit).

To the rest of it. There are more examples all over the past papers will make no difference as the first time I did the F324 exam in Jan and did the F325 paper as a mock, I was like OMGWTFBBQ like everyone is now, but then I realised that the exam to quote OCR 'There is an increased emphasis on understanding and application rather than recall'. This paper is about applying your knowledge not rewriting the textbook under exam conditions.

Hope it was worth the wait.

Thanks for actually bothering. I by all means agree that simply testing how well the students can regurgitate on the notes or the book is not representative of A2 level, however all the questions you listed were successfully done by me under exam conditions in the time allocated. And please do not assume that I did not look at past papers. I literally did every single exam question that existsted since OCR Chem Salter specification began. That is about 200 questions. The questions in the todays paper were not as straightforward as those. Long, ambiguous and time consuming to say the least.
Original post by Sereni
Just because they are a charity doesnt mean that distributing their material that they havnt yet published is legal. Im not overly sure of the specifics but I know someone who marks the papers and he says that they arent supposed to be distributed early because OCR charges money for them.

And ofc theft is required, how else do you think the bio paper was obtained, the original poster said he took it when the invigilators werent looking...

our school give them you if you go and ask after the exams, so I don't think it's a huge deal, the only reason ocr don't post them after the exams is so that teachers can use them as mock exams for next years candidates...
Reply 2717
Original post by Rachel-92
our school give them you if you go and ask after the exams, so I don't think it's a huge deal, the only reason ocr don't post them after the exams is so that teachers can use them as mock exams for next years candidates...

why didnt you post up the paper then lol
Original post by kingam
why didnt you post up the paper then lol

cause I don't have it... if I did why would I want it...
Just browsed through this thread, I feel better that 99% of students thought this was a horrible exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending