The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2740
Reading thto paper

Comment on the validity of the prediction that the pH of the sweet will give the sweet a 'magic tang' taste xD makes me lol everytime, i actually got a dirty look from the invigilator xD
Reply 2741
Original post by bino756
That is the problem. I think that point was raised at a teachers conference earlier in the year after the January exams, just how rushed it was. OCR said that they were aware, but it was too late to change that for us this year, but they hope to sort it for next year. According to my teacher. I personally had more time left at the end than past chem papers. I had about 25 mins to go back and check (and to do the buffer question).

See when ppl say check i assume they mean do questions AGAIN, I only ever leave a question uncompleted if ive already spent too long on it... Im a bit OCD that way
Reply 2742
well ur just a t**t so shut up
Reply 2743
Original post by scienceboy
This was a 2 mark question, and the examiner's report states that almost no candidates were able to answer it correctly.

This was similar to the last question on the F325 June 2011 paper, except it was only worth FOUR marks, and didn't require the candidate to construct three ionic equations before even beginning the calculation.

Sorry mate, but I don't think that these are very good comparisons. Not that that's through any fault of yours, it's just that there are no questions to compare today's paper with! This paper was difficult from start to finish. I don't see how they will be able to distinguish the stronger candidates from the weaker ones with this exam, really I don't.

Well when our class of 12 did this as a mock paper, I think two people, if that, got two marks for it. At least it was only worth two marks.

The DOC question was more an example of where they include irrelevant data. But on that question. I agree the setup of that question was irregular to past papers. Also the fact that the calculation relied on whether you got the ionic equations right or not as opposed to when it is normally split up in to parts meaning if you didn't manage to construct the Ionic equations you lost ~9 marks. To be honest I find the questions where they hardly give any information harder than when there I lots.

I am willing to admit that it was a hard exam, but I didn't expect to come out feeling any different and such aren't angry like most of the people who have replied so far.
Reply 2744
Original post by touran22
iphone 5

how did you get an iphone 5? :hmmm:
is it better than samsung galaxy s2. is it worth waiting for?
(assuming you never meant iphone 4..:P - and excuse the off-topicness.)
Reply 2745
Sorry bro I passworded it because I didn really want the whole wod looking at it I was kind of worried lol

How many marks for the polymer question?
Original post by Sereni
How many marks for the polymer question?

3 marks
Reply 2747
why is that as night approaches, we get people saying how easy and satisfying the paper was?
Reply 2748
ok heres the paper....http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/touran22/f325/

password touran22

sorry for the quality of the paper...i don't own a scanner...just an iphone 5! when your on there just hit slideshow and your good to go!

Thanks for this :smile: made me feel better!
I looked through the paper and think that I'll probably get something like 73/100. Is that an A?
Reply 2750
Original post by Sereni
See when ppl say check i assume they mean do questions AGAIN, I only ever leave a question uncompleted if ive already spent too long on it... Im a bit OCD that way

Well, just read the questions again, and make sure that what you've written makes sense. In the past, in a rush, I have accidently gotten the whole OIL RIG thing mixed up in my head while writing about oxidation and accidently written oxidation is gain. Today, in my head I was thinking small pKa means stronger acid, but for some reason wrote the acids down in the opposite order to what I was thinking in my head.
Reply 2751

70-75 about enough for an A?on this paper?
Original post by yu80359

UMS or %? Hahaaa :')
Reply 2753
Original post by yu80359

The Jan paper it was 65 I think for an A, so that should be a solid A.
Reply 2754
Original post by FCB
I'm not complaining about difficulty, I'm complaining about the time frame. I would have been able to work through that paper and complete all of it had I had maybe 2 hours and 15 minutes. As things stand, you have to work extremely quick just to answer all the questions, no time for checking, and no time to actually think about things.

What is more likely to be a useful application of chemistry, thinking about things to find the right answer through logic and actually applying past knowledge? Or skimming the question, and then copying out the mark scheme from a similar question on a past paper because you have no time to do anything else?

I completely agree with you. It may have been a difficult paper, but it was doable had we been given more time! I think i've lost a huge chunk of marks towards the end of the paper, because firstly, I was rushing all the questions in the last 20 minutes to get to the end, and secondly, I still didnt get to the end so I completely missed 9 marks. It should have been 2 hours!
Reply 2755
Original post by scienceboy
This was a 2 mark question, and the examiner's report states that almost no candidates were able to answer it correctly.

This was similar to the last question on the F325 June 2011 paper, except it was only worth FOUR marks, and didn't require the candidate to construct three ionic equations before even beginning the calculation.

Sorry mate, but I don't think that these are very good comparisons. Not that that's through any fault of yours, it's just that there are no questions to compare today's paper with! This paper was difficult from start to finish. I don't see how they will be able to distinguish the stronger candidates from the weaker ones with this exam, really I don't.

Are you serious? The stronger candidates in this exam will be clearly distinguishable from weaker candidates. Using your own example, stronger candidates will be able to write ionic equations as various methods and examples of doing so are shown in the textbook.
Yes the exam had its difficult questions and was short of time, but it also had very straightforward questions. Grade boundaries will be set appropriately for it to accomodate for its difficulty.

Its pissing me off how everyone is complaining that the paper is poorly made, even though it covered the textbook well. Each time people complain about this exam it dilutes the efforts of everyone in getting justice served for the biology exam - which is something to make a big deal about.

JEEEEESUS
Reply 2756
Original post by Bullit
Are you serious? The stronger candidates in this exam will be clearly distinguishable from weaker candidates. Using your own example, stronger candidates will be able to write ionic equations as various methods and examples of doing so are shown in the textbook.
Yes the exam had its difficult questions and was short of time, but it also had very straightforward questions. Grade boundaries will be set appropriately for it to accomodate for its difficulty.

Its pissing me off how everyone is complaining that the paper is poorly made, even though it covered the textbook well. Each time people complain about this exam it dilutes the efforts of everyone in getting justice served for the biology exam - which is something to make a big deal about.

JEEEEESUS

The grade boundaries will show us how well the paper is made. Jan 2011 was 65 for an A (if I remember right), which shows how poorly made it was, when you have to reduce the boundary that much.
Reply 2757
Original post by spark343
The grade boundaries will show us how well the paper is made. Jan 2011 was 65 for an A (if I remember right), which shows how poorly made it was, when you have to reduce the boundary that much.

Grade boundaries will show us how difficult people found it
Reply 2758
Original post by Bullit

Yes the exam had its difficult questions and was short of time, but it also had very straightforward questions. Grade boundaries will be set appropriately for it to accomodate for its difficulty. Its pissing me off how everyone is complaining that the paper is poorly made, even though it covered the textbook well.

Agreed. It was a well varied in terms of topics covered, and there was nothing in there I knew I hadn't read before (regardless of whether or not I remembered it or not) There were some hard questions and some easy ones and, while I would have liked more time, I had plenty. I was pretty happy with it all in all.
Reply 2759
any one got the buffer question the ratio 14.5:1..i used the acid in previous question asking for ph and 2.11,,than i used 10^-pka/10^-ph=the ratio...did i get wrong somewhere?
i thought if was right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending