The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2760
Original post by bino756
Well, just read the questions again, and make sure that what you've written makes sense. In the past, in a rush, I have accidently gotten the whole OIL RIG thing mixed up in my head while writing about oxidation and accidently written oxidation is gain. Today, in my head I was thinking small pKa means stronger acid, but for some reason wrote the acids down in the opposite order to what I was thinking in my head.

Mm i rarely have time to check, im very thorough the first tie round, i find it hard to leave questions uncomplete so ill only tend to move on when im sure its right. I remembered pKa and strength via buffer solutions, when acid and salt are same conc pH=pKa and so lower pKas mean lower pH means more acidy means stronger acid
Reply 2761
Original post by elyn0601
any one got the buffer question the ratio 14.5:1..i used the acid in previous question asking for ph and 2.11,,than i used 10^-pka/10^-ph=the ratio...did i get wrong somewhere?
i thought if was right.

You may be right for the acid you chose, i chose lactic acid and my final ratio was 2.04:1, what ive checked since and am quite sure it is correct
Reply 2762
Original post by 123trident
3 marks

Dang it i thought it was two, thats at least 13 marks ive lost then +stupid mistakes throughout the paper which usually is about 5 marks. I need this exam to be 81% ums
Meh, I've lost about 30 -40 marks already probably if that 9 mark question relies on working out the ionic equations beforehand :/ URGH. Needed 134/150 ums on this paper too :frown:
Reply 2764
Original post by Bullit
Are you serious? The stronger candidates in this exam will be clearly distinguishable from weaker candidates. Using your own example, stronger candidates will be able to write ionic equations as various methods and examples of doing so are shown in the textbook.
Yes the exam had its difficult questions and was short of time, but it also had very straightforward questions. Grade boundaries will be set appropriately for it to accomodate for its difficulty.

Its pissing me off how everyone is complaining that the paper is poorly made, even though it covered the textbook well. Each time people complain about this exam it dilutes the efforts of everyone in getting justice served for the biology exam - which is something to make a big deal about.

JEEEEESUS

damn right, i didnt sit this exam i sat it in january but my girlfriend did and although she said it was hard she said it was fair , however the bio sucked pure wang with literally 0 gene tech and biotech annd i worked so hard on getting them bits nailed but hey ocr or took a crap on my prospects yet again
Does anyone have the ionic equations for the last part?

I rushed them as I was pressed for time.
Reply 2766
I found this paper really hard but why on earth would anyone upload the paper the same day? Potentially, there could be students who are sitting this paper as late as tomorrow morning if they are under overnight supervision due to an exam clash! I have been a lurker/reader on these forums for ages and I always get suspicious when I see posters literally begging to see a paper this early after it was sat...

That's the reason why papers should never be uploaded or discussed in depth in the first 24 hours. Giving the answers or showing the questions this early is giving other students the chance to blag it tomorrow, at our/your expense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2767
Original post by Lizzy12
I found this paper really hard but why on earth would anyone upload the paper the same day? Potentially, there could be students who are sitting this paper as late as tomorrow morning if they are under overnight supervision due to an exam clash! I have been a lurker/reader on these forums for ages and I always get suspicious when I see posters literally begging to see a paper this early after it was sat...

That's the reason why papers should never be uploaded or discussed in depth in the first 24 hours. Giving the answers or showing the questions this early is giving other students the chance to blag it tomorrow, at our/your expense.

if you know you hvent done as well as expected you can look at answers to confirm youve done bad and prepare to deal with it , or and can show you that not all is that bad.
I finished with an hour left!

Too bad I didn't get onto anything past question 4.
Reply 2769
Hi, is it most likely the grade boundaries will be the same if not lower than january 2011?

if so, i may be feeling slightly more optimistic :/
Reply 2770
Original post by Soloman

Original post by Soloman
well ur just a t**t so shut up

I don't know what t**t could possibly mean, but I know I don't want to be one.
i dont feel like going through the whooooole thread..but what quetsions did people actually get stuck on? it seems like just the pka, magic tang and copper question...thats not THAAAAAT bad, cos the paper had a looot more questions than 3.

i couldnt do those questions..or the hyrdration one, i forgot to times chlorine by 2 :'(, or the 3 marks of drawing that bipy thing..i didnt do any of the last question..most of seem like you at least got a percentage!
Original post by susan23
I would do anything to get the boundary to 40-30/100 for an A...

seems impossible...

would you suck a magic wang?
Original post by susan23
why is that as night approaches, we get people saying how easy and satisfying the paper was?

coz rapists come out at night...lool
Original post by Bullit
Are you serious? The stronger candidates in this exam will be clearly distinguishable from weaker candidates. Using your own example, stronger candidates will be able to write ionic equations as various methods and examples of doing so are shown in the textbook.
Yes the exam had its difficult questions and was short of time, but it also had very straightforward questions. Grade boundaries will be set appropriately for it to accomodate for its difficulty.

Its pissing me off how everyone is complaining that the paper is poorly made, even though it covered the textbook well. Each time people complain about this exam it dilutes the efforts of everyone in getting justice served for the biology exam - which is something to make a big deal about.

JEEEEESUS

ok if you did so well go have a **** to celebrate...
Original post by touran22
ok heres the paper....http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/touran22/f325/

password touran22

sorry for the quality of the paper...i don't own a scanner...just an iphone 5! when your on there just hit slideshow and your good to go!

awesome, thanks a lot! :biggrin:
Reply 2776
Original post by Lizzy12

I did think it was dodgy, still, im sure that ppl under supervision overnight cant use the internet... Otherwisethey could just ask a mate on fb or sumthing...
Reply 2777
Original post by bagga
Hi, is it most likely the grade boundaries will be the same if not lower than january 2011?

if so, i may be feeling slightly more optimistic :/

I found it the same level of difficulty as jan more or less, probbly a little harder so its quite likely grade boundaries will be quite low. However i am starting to pick up that people like to complain so i wouldnt listen too hard to those saying it was so hard grade boundaries should be under 55, when the A boundary for a paper is at half marks they should give up. I actually thought it was quite a cool paper, tested what it had to in quite interesting ways, for the most part. But it was hard and i didnt quite finish so im hoping grade boundaries are low enough that i can get a solid A after dropping 13 marks + random mistakes throughout the paper
Original post by prolife
damn right, i didnt sit this exam i sat it in january but my girlfriend did and although she said it was hard she said it was fair , however the bio sucked pure wang with literally 0 gene tech and biotech annd i worked so hard on getting them bits nailed but hey ocr or took a crap on my prospects yet again

Agreed, I came out of the Chemistry exam feeling suitably challenged as they had asked a few tough questions. They did however stick completely to the specification which is why the paper wasn't unreasonable.

As for the biology paper, the questions asked were weighted too heavily towards module 3, candidates who were knowledgable about gene technology, to use the example you used, or meiosis were not able to showcase their ability. That was why it was unfair.
Original post by Andygunner93
Agreed, I came out of the Chemistry exam feeling suitably challenged as they had asked a few tough questions. They did however stick completely to the specification which is why the paper wasn't unreasonable.

As for the biology paper, the questions asked were weighted too heavily towards module 3, candidates who were knowledgable about gene technology, to use the example you used, or meiosis were not able to showcase their ability. That was why it was unfair.

Tbh I thaught biology was a better paper. Look at the specimen paper for chem, it's soo easy compared to what we had to do. In this paper yesterday they braught in delta G calculations which were never seen before, buffer ratios which were never seen before and calculations where you had to construct ionic equations first. The paper had probably only 10-15 easy marks whereas other papers had 20+. In chem it's got to a point where those who don't do maths (like me) suffer . I think Jan and June where much more straightforward for the majority of the paper, maybe it's due to my weakness in maths though..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending