The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

hi guys, quick questions, do you think attitudes to eating behaviour is likely to come up? has it come up before? thanks
Oh God, these threads just make me panic more. So I'm not going to read it and I'm just going to say good luck to everyone! :smile:
ok so im starting real hardcore revision for this tomorrow. ive done a bit already like notes, highlighting and the like. should be alright - i seem to do better by cramming!!
anywayyy, was just wondering what people think of the following predictions ive made. MIGHT BE COMPLETELY WRONGGG so opinions please??

Relationships - early experiences/theories of breakdown/sexual selection
Aggression - as an adaptive response
Eating disorders - biological explanations

xx
Predictions for eating behaviour anyone?

I need to start cutting down on which sections to revise the most. :frown:
Original post by triangle_eyes
Predictions for eating behaviour anyone?

I need to start cutting down on which sections to revise the most. :frown:

Yeah.....For eating behaviour I am thinking and hoping for any disorder questions simply because for the retake I have only got tomorrow to revise!
So I have the only choice of choosing what to do in terms of predictions, silly but After failing so many times I am starting to care less, especially since I need 80% + on both these exams to get into uni :eek:

Good luck!:smile:

What other topic you doing?
Yes, same !! I must get 80%+ in both too to get into uni
I've basically only started and I know it's risky but I can see myself leaving topics out...
Do you know what questions they have already asked? I'm sure they had a 25marker on the disorders last year or something. They might do compare Biological/Psychological? I haven't even started looking at that yet though soooo haha. This is going to be a long night :frown:

I'm doing aggression and relationships as well, what about you?
Original post by mooniibuggy
hi guys, quick questions, do you think attitudes to eating behaviour is likely to come up? has it come up before? thanks

It came up in the Jan 11 exam so I doubt it will be a big question in this exam. I hope anyway.
Original post by Finolarose
ok so im starting real hardcore revision for this tomorrow. ive done a bit already like notes, highlighting and the like. should be alright - i seem to do better by cramming!!
anywayyy, was just wondering what people think of the following predictions ive made. MIGHT BE COMPLETELY WRONGGG so opinions please??

Aggression - as an adaptive response
Eating disorders - biological explanations

xx

Yeah, i did some unit 4 revision like 3 weeks ago and completely forgot it now! not good!
I've basically only started and I know it's risky but I can see myself leaving topics out...
Do you know what questions they have already asked? I'm sure they had a 25marker on the disorders last year or something. They might do compare Biological/Psychological? I haven't even started looking at that yet though soooo haha. This is going to be a long night :frown:

Relationships and bio rhythms and sleep...something I wanna do NOW.

Family, personal, and college do not go together well is all I can say lol.
Have no idea to be honest but I will cheking in a min so will let you know, if your still online then check the thread :smile:

Relationships 2010 JAN
‘To put it at its most basic, women want resources and men want to spread their genes.’
Discuss the evolutionary approach to explaining parental investment in humans
(eg sex differences, parent-offspring conflict). (25 marks)

Eating behaviour::
5 ‘Dieting often fails because people are trying to go against their biological drive to eat.’
Discuss explanations for the success and/or failure of dieting. (25 marks)

2010 june

Relationships-
Discuss research into the nature of relationships in different cultures.
(9 marks + 16 marks)

Eating behaviours-
Discuss explanations of one eating disorder. (9 marks + 16 marks)

Well this ruins it, maybe they will be specific, It may also be something like the clinical characteristics and some issues around it???
What disorder have you done?

And in Jan 2011 relationships was on formation and eating was on biological explanation for eating and preferences for eating.
Original post by TheRockMaster
Relationships and bio rhythms and sleep...something I wanna do NOW.

Family, personal, and college do not go together well is all I can say lol.
Have no idea to be honest but I will cheking in a min so will let you know, if your still online then check the thread :smile:

I know same! I neeeeed sleep. I bet I'm only going to get like 4 hours before this exam
and don't even get me started about psya4. I'm going to have like a day for that as well. Great.

Thank you for posting these questions! :smile:
yeah they might combine both the explanations...hopefully. I'm doing Anorexia, but considering I haven't really looked at it, I could potentially do any of the three.
I'd like them to maybe do neural mechanisms, but they did that in January; I ran out of time and never was able to write anything for that in Jan haha

I think Breakdown of relationships is likely to come up then maybe?

Good luck with your revision tomorrow !!
:smile:
Reply 1031

xx

Exactly the same. Except for the theories of breakdown. My book only offers Duck's 4 stage model so I don't think they would give a 25 marker. Unless we would use maintnance theories, change them round and explain how dissatisfaction with relationship may end it.. What do you think?
Original post by IFondledAGibbon
It came up in the Jan 11 exam so I doubt it will be a big question in this exam. I hope anyway.

Oh ok thanks guess it's unlikely to come up then

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ESSAY ON FAILURE/SUCCESS OF DIETING?

need it asap! :colondollar: thanks
Original post by worthyg
Exactly the same. Except for the theories of breakdown. My book only offers Duck's 4 stage model so I don't think they would give a 25 marker. Unless we would use maintnance theories, change them round and explain how dissatisfaction with relationship may end it.. What do you think?

yeah my book only had Duck in aswell but my teacher gave us another one by Lee and i think another one - i can copy it out on here if you want it just incase it comes up? but otherwise yeah that would be a good way to go about the answer, hadnt thought of that lol
Reply 1034
does anybody know what came up in jan 11 for aggression? or intelligence?
Reply 1035
Original post by Ellee
does anybody know what came up in jan 11 for aggression? or intelligence?

Outline Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences. (5 marks)
0 9 Outline and evaluate the role of genetic factors in intelligence test performance.
(4 marks + 16 marks)

Discuss evolutionary explanations of human aggression. (9 marks + 16 marks)
Original post by Kerry92
the treatments are not in the spec but some books do mention them and say how you can you use them for evaluation for explanations of disorders....

but my book says they definitely cant ask a question soley on the treatments as it is not part of the spec! :smile:

ah thank youu!!! if you have those notes could you possibly type them up as i have no way of evaluating explanations of disorders! IM SCREWEDDDDD!!!
Reply 1037
yeah my book only had Duck in aswell but my teacher gave us another one by Lee and i think another one - i can copy it out on here if you want it just incase it comes up? but otherwise yeah that would be a good way to go about the answer, hadnt thought of that lol

If it's easy enough could you make some key points of these other theories for me, please? It would be great!

Original post by pink_is_bright
ah thank youu!!! if you have those notes could you possibly type them up as i have no way of evaluating explanations of disorders! IM SCREWEDDDDD!!!

if it's sleep disorders you are talking about, they already came up as an evaluation so it is unlikely that they will ask it again. But here are the main points for evaluation:
-personality factors in insomnia (larks-most alert in the morning and owls-most alert in the evening)
-treatments such as CBT or positive pressure masks are successful
-difficulty in isolating key variables
-studies on dogs supporting the role of genetics (orexin), but issues of generalisation from dogs to humans
-failure of pharmacological treatment for CSA
-you can criticise biological approach - reductionist
-psychodynamic explanations of sleepwalking are untestable due to its nature
-IDA: use of animals in the studies, nature/nurture
-research methodology (for each study)

hope it helped :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone got any biological rhythms and sleep notes?
Reply 1039
Original post by pink_is_bright

for the obstructive sleep apnoea you can mention that weightloss is very good at reducing symptoms (as its correlated with obesity). and also sugery can be used to widen the upper airways which tends to be successful

for central sleep apnoea treatment is usually based on treating the underlying cerebrovascula side of it, which then helps reduce the symptoms!

for narcolepsy, for evaluation mention that they have found what seems to be the cause- a lack of the neurochemical orexin (or a lack of its receptors) yet they still do not have a drug/cure available despite this which is a weakness. also mention that to find out about the lack of orexin most research was carried out on dogs, which raises issues of extrapolation...though a study by moore et al did support the fact that humans with narcolepsy due have a huge reduction in the amount of orexin receptors in the hypothalamus of the brain.

but narcolepsy is good to evaluate in general anyway-by saying how it does seem likely that REM is invading wakefulness-because in REM our muscles lose tone so this would explain cataplexy and sleep paralysis etc. so say how the physiological state of REM is very similar to the symptoms of narcolepsy

to evaluate sleepwalking based on the psychodynamic suggestions-you could argue the theory does not explain the tasks that people do whilst sleepwalking, and that the approach is as usual mainly based on case studies and so unable to be generalised.

insomnia would be easier as you can evaluate it by saying that sleeping pills may seem helpful but when the person stops taking them their sleep is actually much worst.

you can also use gregory et al study to evaluate insomnia, as it highlights the link between early anxiety and later insomnia.

for insomnia you can also talk about chronotypes and how some people are naturally more alert than others at different times and going against this is likely to have negative consequences-possible insomnia.

and then you can talk about how cognitive behavioural therapy is very good at reducing anxious cognitions related to sleeping, which then reduces insomnia-supporting the suggestion that insomnia could be the result of faulty cognitions.

and also muscle relaxation therapy is very good at reducing arousal levels, which is shwon to improve insomnia...

so basically when therapy is suggested alongside an explanation of a sleep disorder and the therapy is effective, this can be used as support for the evaluation.

but also use your standard evaluative points for the explanations too, like the psychodynamic explanation of sleep walking is based on case studies which cannot be generalised to the wider population. and also many of the suggested factors are hard to test, therefore lacking reliability and is unscientific-we cannot test for factors such as unconscious anxieties for example.

i hope that helps abit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending