The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fallen
You take an exam and get a raw score. This paper is out of 100, so you might get (for instance) 65/100 which is 65%.
That is then scaled to UMS points, out of 150. So if you need 65% for an A, that gets scaled to 80% UMS which is 120/150.

In other words, you always need 80% UMS to get an A, but the raw percentage which scales to 80% UMS varies.

Thank you very much, I thought this is what it meant but grateful for the confirmation :smile:

This makes me a lot happier! I usually go through my exams and count up how many marks I think I've got... I counted about 66, hopefully I got them calculations right and didn't miss out any important terms.. I thought 'oh **** I've only got a C then'.... but if I managed to scrape an A or get a high B... completely different story! :biggrin:
Original post by takethyfacehence
Seriously??!?? I thought it always had to be 80% for an A?

That's the theory, but it actually works like this:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/learners/ums/index.html
Original post by ba1
the polymer should have been drawn similar to this (but obviously with nickel instead of silver)

ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu......................
Original post by imperial maniac
That's the theory, but it actually works like this:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/learners/ums/index.html

Thanks, m'dear. :smile: So basically they know that this exam is a bitch haha and accommodate for it.
Original post by imperial maniac
ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu......................

if that's correct then i actually got it right! shame i failed all the other questions :/
So its 480 UMS overall to get an A in chemistry, right?
Original post by BackDoorEntry
So its 480 UMS overall to get an A in chemistry, right?

Yes - 0.8 x 600 = 480
Original post by Vinchenko
Yes - 0.8 x 600 = 480

Thanks.

And for full UMS, if an exam was out of 150 marks, is the boundary for full UMS points at 150/150, or will it be say, 145/150?
Can someone PLEASE tell me what, on average of say 55 marks, would equal in terms of UMS??
Reply 2849
Original post by blush.ox
Can someone PLEASE tell me what, on average of say 55 marks, would equal in terms of UMS??

55 is a C
you be would 2 UMS marks away from a B
and 10 UMS marks away from an A
according to the january 2011 grade boundaries
Original post by BackDoorEntry
Thanks.

And for full UMS, if an exam was out of 150 marks, is the boundary for full UMS points at 150/150, or will it be say, 145/150?

It's almost always lower - I must have got a maximum of 92% of the marks in my Jan Physics paper, and got 100% UMS. The only time it'll be 100% marks = 100% UMS is in school-marked practical exams, because the boundaries there tend to be very high - schools give students a lot of help with them, and you get up to 3 tries, so you can see why!
Original post by susan23
55 is a C

2 away from a B :frown: :frown: oh ffs lol
What UMS is that though exactly? Sorry about this, im really rubbish at the whole UMS thing.
Original post by susan23
55 is a C

I think this paper was a good deal harder than the Jan one, so I'd say it probably works out at a B this season. Which is clearly ridiculous, if the paper is so hard you only need 55% to get 70% equivalent, but there we are...
Reply 2853
What UMS is that though exactly? Sorry about this, im really rubbish at the whole UMS thing.

Oh dear sorry I was looking at the RAW marks....

let me start again....

55/150 UMS - grades between U - E

60/150 - would be grade E

75/150 - would be D

90/150 - would be C

105/150 - B

120/150 - A

are you talking about RAW MARKS or UMS?!?!?!?

ok blush i just realised what you said....

55 RAW MARKS....yes your 2 RAW MARKS away from a B!!!

I'm sure you'll make it blush dont worry too much about it...the grade boundaries would probably be lower this June...so you might even get an A :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

You get a raw mark out of 100 for this exam. The grade boundaries are then decided on that how well/badly everyone does, and only a certain % of people can get an A, B, C...etc So the grade boundaries for each year will vary. But to keep some consistency and so marks are equivalent you'll get a UMS mark. In this exam it's 150. 120/150 UMS will always be an A, whereas the raw marks out of 100 may vary for an A.
It's quite hard to explain to be honest, but I hope that made some sense....
Original post by susan23
x..

Lol i was basically just asking what 55 raw marks would equal in terms of UMS and you've answered my Q soo thankyou :biggrin:. Well good bye A in chemisty, it was never going to happen anyway :getmecoat:.

Original post by LilacTweet
You get a raw mark out of 100 for this exam. The grade boundaries are then decided on that how well/badly everyone does, and only a certain % of people can get an A, B, C...etc So the grade boundaries for each year will vary. But to keep some consistency and so marks are equivalent you'll get a UMS mark. In this exam it's 150. 120/150 UMS will always be an A, whereas the raw marks out of 100 may vary for an A.
It's quite hard to explain to be honest, but I hope that made some sense....

Yes i know what you mean. I just wanted to know where i would stand with UMS based on if i got like 55 marks on this paper, which i've just looked through. That would help me see how many i would need in the F324 paper :/ to get an A, but it seems impossible, i might not even make the B :/.
Reply 2856
Lol i was basically just asking what 55 raw marks would equal in terms of UMS and you've answered my Q soo thankyou :biggrin:. Well good bye A in chemisty, it was never going to happen anyway :getmecoat:.

Yes i know what you mean. I just wanted to know where i would stand with UMS based on if i got like 55 marks on this paper, which i've just looked through. That would help me see how many i would need in the F324 paper :/ to get an A, but it seems impossible, i might not even make the B :/.

calculate your whole A level UMS marks...not indivitual grades in each module...because even if you get A grades in all your modules and practicals you STILL DONT GET AN A overall in A level....

so add up your...

unit 1
unit 2
practical AS
unit 4
unit 5 (assume)
practical A2

add them in terms of UMS!

and if its 480 or above...it would be an A ...
Original post by susan23
Oh dear sorry I was looking at the RAW marks....

let me start again....

55/150 UMS - grades between U - E

60/150 - would be grade E

75/150 - would be D

90/150 - would be C

105/150 - B

120/150 - A

are you talking about RAW MARKS or UMS?!?!?!?

ok blush i just realised what you said....

55 RAW MARKS....yes your 2 RAW MARKS away from a B!!!

I'm sure you'll make it blush dont worry too much about it...the grade boundaries would probably be lower this June...so you might even get an A :biggrin:

Oh My God. Do you know how happy that makes me feel right now.
I am pretty sure I got about 50 raw marks. if I get a C then I could get my B average for the entire course. :')
That paper made me cry. Actually.. truly cry.
Reply 2858
Original post by Memorable_Life
Oh My God. Do you know how happy that makes me feel right now.
I am pretty sure I got about 50 raw marks. if I get a C then I could get my B average for the entire course. :')
That paper made me cry. Actually.. truly cry.

same here!!! :biggrin: hope the boundaries are lower though!
Original post by susan23
calculate your whole A level UMS marks...not indivitual grades in each module...because even if you get A grades in all your modules and practicals you STILL DONT GET AN A overall in A level....

so add up your...

unit 1
unit 2
practical AS
unit 4
unit 5 (assume)
practical A2

add them in terms of UMS!

and if its 480 or above...it would be an A ...

Yeh im going to do that, but i havent sat F324 yet lol, its next week, soo i still need to see how good/bad it goes and then work out a figure. Not looking forward to it at all after yday :sigh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending