The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature A - Love Through the Ages June 2011 Exam :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theproseandpassion
I feel exactly the same :frown:
I LOVE english so so much!!
How do you think Q2 went I really panicked!!

Hope you are ok - you aren't the only one x

Question 2 was horrible, mainly because I spent so long on question 1 and only left myself with 50 minutes planning + writing time for question 2 (but that was my own fault because I actually enjoyed question 1 and spent too much time on it!)

I feel a bit better now that I've had a good cry and am reminding myself that I don't really know how I've done until results day (yay, another seven or eight weeks of agony and suspense).

Question 1 was definitely better than q. 2 (I panicked a bit on that one as well) but hopefully if I did better on q. 1 it should bring my marks up a bit.

I love English too, so it's a bummer when something like this happens but I'm sure everything will be ok in the long run.
Original post by Pthaos

Don't be negative :smile: From what I saw yesterday you really know what you're talking about. I'm sure that you'll have written well. Remember they mark positively, awarding points not taking them away. Anything you write is valid when you support it :smile:

Thanks Pthaos. I'm trying to think on the positive side now. My mum gave me a good talking-to and told me I was being melodramatic (which I admit I have a tendency to be sometimes. :colondollar:) so I'm just going to have to put this exam out of my head and get on with the next one. It feels strange to think that my Literature studies are over now and that I might never study it again.

Hope your Politics exam went well.
Original post by Language_student
Thanks Pthaos. I'm trying to think on the positive side now. My mum gave me a good talking-to and told me I was being melodramatic (which I admit I have a tendency to be sometimes. :colondollar:) so I'm just going to have to put this exam out of my head and get on with the next one. It feels strange to think that my Literature studies are over now and that I might never study it again.

My mum actually slapped me when I got my first O level result (yes, I'm that old - long before GCSEs) to stop me crying hysterically. I'm over it now.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
My mum actually slapped me when I got my first O level result (yes, I'm that old - long before GCSEs) to stop me crying hysterically. I'm over it now.

Tough love, eh. Although I'd prefer sympathy I think my mum's "get over it and move on" approach is probably better!
Tough love, eh. Although I'd prefer sympathy I think my mum's "get over it and move on" approach is probably better!

There you go - you're feeling better already!
Reply 285
In question two I said that wyatt is seen ad being the person who is hurt out of the relationship and appears to be the weaker sex, whereas in the drama extract, Hellena was in control and appeared stronger. Anyone else do that ? And in the first question I said that males tend to rely on physical aspects of relationships rather than emotions
I thought the poem was about how Wyatt used women for sex - I know I did bad on Q2 :'( is this interpretation really wrong?
I went and used assonance incorrectly too - :'(
Does anyone know if there's a specific structure you're supposed to follow in the exam? I wrote entirely about the first modern novel first and didn't do any comparison then wrote about the Hardy piece and used it to compare and contrast the modern piece. Is this okay? How did others do it? Help, please!

Also, do you think this exam was relatively hard to other A2 Lit exams on Love Through The Ages? Judging by everyone here, it wasn't...
Original post by Eggs and Ham

Does anyone know if there's a specific structure you're supposed to follow in the exam? I wrote entirely about the first modern novel first and didn't do any comparison then wrote about the Hardy piece and used it to compare and contrast the modern piece. Is this okay? How did others do it? Help, please!

Also, do you think this exam was relatively hard to other A2 Lit exams on Love Through The Ages? Judging by everyone here, it wasn't...

most of my year came out crying..

i thought it was okay.

usually examiners prefer it if you integrate your essays as it allows for comparisons and contrasts to be executed well, however, there is no 'right' method. as long as you did some comparison, it should be fine!
Does anyone know if there's a specific structure you're supposed to follow in the exam? No, and the board's not keen on formulaic responses.I wrote entirely about the first modern novel first and didn't do any comparison then wrote about the Hardy piece and used it to compare and contrast the modern piece. Is this okay? Sounds ok. It depends what you said, not really the order in which you said it.How did others do it? Help, please!Don't find reasons to make yourself upset by comparing yourself to others. It sounds fine.

Also, do you think this exam was relatively hard to other A2 Lit exams on Love Through The Ages? No, it was pretty much the same.Judging by everyone here, it wasn't...

Answers in colour above.
Original post by purplestarfish

The same was true last year as well. It's a brute of an exam.
Original post by purplestarfish

i thought it was okay.

usually examiners prefer it if you integrate your essays as it allows for comparisons and contrasts to be executed well, however, there is no 'right' method. as long as you did some comparison, it should be fine!

Thanks. My teacher said the exam was brutal and that grade boundaries will need to be lowered a bit this year to reflect its difficulty (assuming the thousands who took it found it hard).

Section A for me, was hard. I know everyone's saying it was easy but I found it hard. As for Section B: I struck gold on that one, since I've studied 'The Rover'. Had tons to say about it, but the poem was soo boring.

Having said that, I don't think I'll get the grade I need to go to university. :frown:
Question one was brilliant, question two... not so much. The poem made me want to stab myself in the eyes due to it being so dull. I liked the play though.
Thanks. My teacher said the exam was brutal and that grade boundaries will need to be lowered a bit this year to reflect its difficulty (assuming the thousands who took it found it hard).

Looks like we English teachers suffer from limited vocabularies, as I've just said the same! Either that, or we all sing from the same hymn sheet!
Original post by theproseandpassion
Seriously I feel so crap right now - I want an A so badly it means so much - I hope they are fair about the grade boundaries x

yeah well everyone on here seems to agree that question 2 was really hard so then I guess they will have to drop the grade boundries :/ !!! Don't worry i'm sure you will have done fine and theres your AS grade and A2 coursework to fall back on :smile: xx
What was the poem about?
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Looks like we English teachers suffer from limited vocabularies, as I've just said the same! Either that, or we all sing from the same hymn sheet!

Did you feel the same way about the June 2010 paper? I was looking at the past paper and mark scheme and honestly, I thought it was much harder than this one. But I didn't have to do an exam on it, I only read what was written in the mark scheme and they expected a lot out of candidates.

By the way, my teacher also thinks many of skills need in this exam were the kind he developed at degree level :eek:. What do you think?
Reply 298

Yeah the politics one went really well thanks, but I'm better at that than English and it's easy to revise for :P

Section A for me, was hard. I know everyone's saying it was easy but I found it hard. As for Section B: I struck gold on that one, since I've studied 'The Rover'. Had tons to say about it, but the poem was soo boring.

Having said that, I don't think I'll get the grade I need to go to university. :frown:

aww! i completely agree about the poem! i literally had nothing to say, other than the fact he appeard arrogant/objectified women/missed the attention he got! it was really really tough.

oh, you've studied the rover! do you think it's a fair assumption to say Angellica felt betrayed/that her love was unrequited given Willmore's (was that his name?) return to Helenna? and that the stage directions in which she was 'aside' reflected his thoughts for her - how he pushes her aside and chooses Helenna?

i think that the grade boundaries will reflect the difficulty though!

what grade do you need for university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending