The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3540
Hopefully it will be no more than 60 for an A like jan 11. As I need 140 UMS in this.
how many UMS marks will 50 raw marks equal to providing an A will be around 60-65?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3542
Original post by whc23
These are my own answers based on the revision I have done with my daughter and my general knowledge of Biology (I am a University Lecturer).

A lot of respect for this
Do you have any idea about grade boundaries?
Is genome sequencing the same as DNA sequencing?
Is selection pressure the same as natural selection?
Reply 3544
Original post by entertheOJI

I would imagine that genome sequencing or DNA sequencing will be equally acceptable for a mark.

I do not think that selection pressure and natural selection are equivalent. One brings about the other. Selection pressure (eg environmental pressure on a trait) brings about the natural selection of better adapted organisms.
Reply 3545
That unoffical mark scheme has cheered me up immensely! :biggrin:
I count about 57... so B?

its only a small thing compared to my maths fail today which means the result of this doesnt matter anyway for my uni chances as it is now completely impossible but one less resit next year I guess :biggrin:
Reply 3546
Original post by Dunn0
A lot of respect for this
Do you have any idea about grade boundaries?

Sorry, no idea what the grade boundaries might be. I suspect that OCR will set the boundaries once they have marked the papers and have looked at the distribution. They probably do not yet know the grade boundaries themselves.
Original post by whc23
I would imagine that genome sequencing or DNA sequencing will be equally acceptable for a mark.

I do not think that selection pressure and natural selection are equivalent. One brings about the other. Selection pressure (eg environmental pressure on a trait) brings about the natural selection of better adapted organisms.

what about DNA probe?
Original post by entertheOJI

no selection pressure is what leads to a natural selection:smile:
Original post by Popey93
That unoffical mark scheme has cheered me up immensely! :biggrin:
I count about 57... so B?

its only a small thing compared to my maths fail today which means the result of this doesnt matter anyway for my uni chances as it is now completely impossible but one less resit next year I guess :biggrin:

That's good! I got 50 after looking at the mark scheme:biggrin: Good luck for next yeaR:wink:
Reply 3550
Original post by TobeTheHero
That's good! I got 50 after looking at the mark scheme:biggrin: Good luck for next yeaR:wink:

Good luck for you too! :biggrin:
Reply 3551
Original post by TobeTheHero
what about DNA probe?

I assume you are thinking about the answer to Q3(a)(i). Difficult to predict what OCR will accept but I would think that DNA probe may not be acceptable. DNA probes can be used to identify a specific gene or related genes in other species but would not give enough information to show that all the Elm trees are from a clone. To show that they are genetically identical I think you need DNA sequence information.
Reply 3552
Original post by Nbear
what do you think the grade boundaries might be?

around 65 for an A?

because the way I see it, this paper probably gives an advantage to those biologists who also do geography and / psychology, which could bring up the grade boundaries :s-smilie:

yes cos one of my friends said it was an easy paper and she does geography as well :s-smilie: arghhhh
Reply 3553
Original post by whc23

Instead of DNA sequencing i Automated sequencing, is it still correct?
Reply 3554
Original post by Dunn0
Instead of DNA sequencing i Automated sequencing, is it still correct?

I would give you the mark but you know how fussy OCR can be! The book refers to "automated DNA sequencing" so not sure whether they will accept without telling them what you are sequencing.
What about Electrophoresis?
Reply 3556
Original post by Waqar Y
What about Electrophoresis?

Electrophoresis is used to separate DNA fragments according to size. It does not give enough information to show that all Elm trees are genetically identical (ie clones). If you said sequencing electrophoresis (the way sequencing used to be done before automated DNA sequencing) you might get the mark.
Original post by whc23
Electrophoresis is used to separate DNA fragments according to size. It does not give enough information to show that all Elm trees are genetically identical (ie clones). If you said sequencing electrophoresis (the way sequencing used to be done before automated DNA sequencing) you might get the mark.

But if you were able to get DNA fragments and seperate them by size - you could view the band patterns to determine if they were clones or not - because the DNA would have similar bands when placed under a nylon sheet, etcetc.
Reply 3558
Original post by Waqar Y
But if you were able to get DNA fragments and seperate them by size - you could view the band patterns to determine if they were clones or not - because the DNA would have similar bands when placed under a nylon sheet, etcetc.

I agree that you might get the same banding pattern after digestion with a restriction enzyme. This would tell you that the two samples you were comparing had the same sequence only where the restriction enzymes cut. There would be lots of sequence where you could not be certain it was identical. The only way to know that the DNA is identical over the whole length is by sequencing.
Reply 3559
anyone got the exam past paper??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending