The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
I really appreciate this thread guys! We just need to ace this one now, considering how **** most of us found Unit 4...seriously, what was up with it? :s-smilie:
Anyhow, if any of you are willing to share Topic 8 notes, I'll be really grateful! Do you think they will make this exam easier than Unit 4, lower the boundaries maybe?
:smile:
READ THIS PLEASE, TELLS YOU WHAT TO DO ON RESULT DAY,

http://www.studential.com/applying/guide_to_A_level_results_day_2011
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Spain'93
I really appreciate this thread guys! We just need to ace this one now, considering how **** most of us found Unit 4...seriously, what was up with it? :s-smilie:
Anyhow, if any of you are willing to share Topic 8 notes, I'll be really grateful! Do you think they will make this exam easier than Unit 4, lower the boundaries maybe?

they cant change the paper now so no it wont be easier but heres hoping the unit 4 A* boundary will be like mid 50s
biology grade boundaries are always outrageously low XD

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages/grade-boundaries.aspx

scroll down to january 2011 and june 2010 GCE grade boundaries, they have always been quite generous
Hi there,

Any of you done the practice questions for Unit 5 Topic 7 in the Edexcel A2 biology purple revision guide (pp58) ?

I don't know if it is a mistake on the question or me being dumb - but on question 4, about the percentage difference of the H zone, I have no idea how they got the answer!

I've noticed a couple of mistakes in the guide, so hoping it is them and not me!

Any one help?
Thanks
Jen
Can someone help me with grade calculations? Roughly what percentage do I need in unit 5 for the A or A*?
Unit 1: 120/120
Unit 2: 104/120
Unit 3: 24/40 BUT have resat, hopefully got up to 35/40
Unit 4: 120/120
Unit 6: REALLY RUBBISH, like I'm hoping for half marks

Thank you :smile:

At the neg repper, what's your problem?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jennie_pro
Hi there,

Any of you done the practice questions for Unit 5 Topic 7 in the Edexcel A2 biology purple revision guide (pp58) ?

I don't know if it is a mistake on the question or me being dumb - but on question 4, about the percentage difference of the H zone, I have no idea how they got the answer!

I've noticed a couple of mistakes in the guide, so hoping it is them and not me!

Any one help?
Thanks
Jen

I noticed that too but I thought it was just an error in printing which changes the scale of diagrams sometimes..but if you use the values you measure (I got 14 mm for fully relaxed and 9mm for partially contracted), the % diff is still within their range (35.71%). But yeah, no idea where the 22 and 15 comes from :confused:
does any one know where I can get end-topic tests for topic 7-8 from the orange SNAB book?
thnku
Original post by tkoki1993
Finished spec notes for topic 7, theyre here if anyone wants them

Do you have for Topic 8 as well?
Has anyone seen the urgent clarification notice issued by Edexcel for the scientific Article.
Was terrified when my tutor emailed me saying there had been and error, until you read it: they just missed out the word 'baboons' from page three, paragraph six. lol :smile:
Original post by smiffy_83
Has anyone seen the urgent clarification notice issued by Edexcel for the scientific Article.
Was terrified when my tutor emailed me saying there had been and error, until you read it: they just missed out the word 'baboons' from page three, paragraph six. lol :smile:

Haha I noticed that sentence and I was like, two what? Baboons I LOLed
Original post by darkiee
Do you have for Topic 8 as well?

no sorry. havent done any biology for the past few days. been focusing on my chemistry exam that was worth a large chunk of my grade.
PLUS my laptop keyboard is broken. I'm actually using the onscreen key board:colondollar:. however, my brother is coming back from uni today so I should be able to use his
Can someone help me out regarding the June 2010 paper please :smile:

Question 2d: I thought the resting potential was restored by the reversal of ions due to the Na/K pump, which uses ATP. And then an equilibrium is reached between K+ conc. gradient and the electrochemical gradient (as outside is more +ve than inside)

But the MS makes no reference to this pump :s-smilie:
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
Can someone help me out regarding the June 2010 paper please :smile:

Question 2d: I thought the resting potential was restored by the reversal of ions due to the Na/K pump, which uses ATP. And then an equilibrium is reached between K+ conc. gradient and the electrochemical gradient (as outside is more +ve than inside)

But the MS makes no reference to this pump :s-smilie:

I think the mark scheme just focuses on the movement of potassium but the sodium/potassium pump is right too. Apparently, the mark scheme is only a guide and the examiners sometimes give you marks for stuff that's not exactly on there :smile:

I was also confused about 2b cause I thought the membrane is always permeable to potassium and just increases in permeability due to opening of voltage gated channels during repolarisation. However, the mark scheme says that at position A, it is only permeable to sodium? :confused:
Original post by sparkle*92
I think the mark scheme just focuses on the movement of potassium but the sodium/potassium pump is right too. Apparently, the mark scheme is only a guide and the examiners sometimes give you marks for stuff that's not exactly on there :smile:

I was also confused about 2b cause I thought the membrane is always permeable to potassium and just increases in permeability due to opening of voltage gated channels during repolarisation. However, the mark scheme says that at position A, it is only permeable to sodium? :confused:

Now that you mention it, yeah I don't get it either. When I was doing the paper I only ticked the first column for A, but yeah I'm pretty sure you are right.

I hate edexcel mark schemes :mad:
i agree with top 2 posts... stupid edexcel... don't understand it.... the er even says that we did not credit mention of Sodium Potassium pump, whereas pretty much every other reference ive used has mentioned the Sodium Potassium pump in returning to resting membrane potential
Original post by smiffy_83
It was a lot to take in the first time I read it, but give it a couple more goes over the next day or two and it will sink in :smile:

It did seem to get a bit complicated towards then end as it talks on about erg1a erg1b etc, but I think you just need to revise hard on topics that will likely be suggested from the material such as explaiing Gene therapy (Germ line/Somatic therapy and the different methods of application - using viral vectors/plasmids etc). I have a feeling they might also ask how transcription factors/gene expression works and the method of action of hormones/steroids etc. Maybe how genetic mutations occur too and how they can be inherited (punnet squares/monohybrid inheritance)?

Let's just hope that the paper isn't as much of a nightmare as Monday's Unit 4 :s-smilie:

omg unit 4 was terribllee!!!! i had to keep checking the front to make sure it wasnt unit 2 by accident!

could you explain to me how transcription factors work?
Original post by chemdweeb1234
i agree with top 2 posts... stupid edexcel... don't understand it.... the er even says that we did not credit mention of Sodium Potassium pump, whereas pretty much every other reference ive used has mentioned the Sodium Potassium pump in returning to resting membrane potential

Have you got the examiner's report for it? I've lost mine.
Original post by shanshine
omg unit 4 was terribllee!!!! i had to keep checking the front to make sure it wasnt unit 2 by accident!

could you explain to me how transcription factors work?

Well, I've still to revise it!
Although from what I can remember so far:
Transcription factors regulate gene expression. They normally bind to DNA at specific gene sites (different transcription factors bind to different genes).

By binding to the DNA strands they either promote or inhibit transcription of the gene. They do this by preventing the DNA strand from unwinding - RNA ploymerase therefore can't 'read' the strand, or they promote the unwinding of the strand instead and RNA polymerase is free to transcribe at a rapid rate.

Therefore, the rate of protein synthesis is eventually regulated because the amount of mRNA being created is regulated by the above.
Regarding the article: Pg 3 paragraph 4
Why are Adeno-associated virus less likely to stimulate immune response?

Is it just the fact they are smaller, and maybe less antigens, so less likely to come into contact with immune sytem cells.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending